1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Nice, but the AVMA does not set state legislative policy. It was only a couple of years ago that the last couple of states that still required YEARLY rabies vaccination changed the requirement to every three years... and, for how long has every three years been the recommendation of the AVMA?

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Even though the state of Texas requires a three year vaccine, the county I live in still requires an annual vaccine. If you have a lot of animals, like me (8 cats, 2 dogs), it adds up.

That reminds me, I'd better check and see who's due, because I get most of them done in the spring.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Even though the state of Texas requires a three year vaccine, the county I live in still requires an annual vaccine. If you have a lot of animals, like me (8 cats, 2 dogs), it adds up.

That reminds me, I'd better check and see who's due, because I get most of them done in the spring.
You could move to Ohio... there is no state requirement to vaccinate, and there is one tiny corner of the state which also has no county or municipal requirement to vaccinate. I think it might be the only place in the U.S. where rabies vaccination is not required.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thats nice to see, I've always wondered about animals with severe vaccine allergies.

Freya, my cat, is allergic to ALL standard feline vaccines. Including rabies. But her rabies vacc allergy is mild enough to manage when she gets it. But she can't get any of the other vaccines, as her reaction is much more severe. So she is now 8 years old and after the first kitten round that was attempted and went badly... She has only ever received her rabies.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, but the AVMA does not set state legislative policy. It was only a couple of years ago that the last couple of states that still required YEARLY rabies vaccination changed the requirement to every three years... and, for how long has every three years been the recommendation of the AVMA?
The AVMA is one of the nation's leading associations setting the standard for veterinary medical care. Official recognition by the American Veterinary Medical Association that there are cases in which rabies vaccination "poses an unacceptably high risk to the health of the individual animal" provides a powerful boost to our legislative efforts to incorporate medical exemption clauses into the 35 state laws/regulations which currently do not have them.

The AVMA has recommended that vaccines be administered according to the labels for years.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could get some friends together & try to change the ordinance. The study below would certainly help your cause.

Triennial rabies vaccination in Texas: What were the consequences? DVM360 March 1, 2012 Hot Literature: Triennial rabies vaccination in Texas: What were the consequences? - Veterinary Medicine "the percentage of currently vaccinated domestic dogs jumped to 56%......it was obvious that the triennial vaccine interval did not have the negative effects on vaccination rates that many had expected..."

Article Conclusion: "When states or territories weigh the public health safety concerns of adopting similar requirement changes, the results of this Texas study should be considered. The hypothesized decrease in rabies vaccination rates after the introduction of a triennial vaccine interval in Texas were not realized. In fact, vaccination rates appear to have improved across the board after the code change."

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could move to Ohio... there is no state requirement to vaccinate, and there is one tiny corner of the state which also has no county or municipal requirement to vaccinate. I think it might be the only place in the U.S. where rabies vaccination is not required.
The Health Department says that they leave rabies vaccination requirements up to the counties to determine by ordinance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts