Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

"average" exercise??

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Okie-dobie 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Everyone always talks about the exercise requirements of dobes being more than most people think or are expecting. I was wondering what an average week was like for most dobe owners. Labels like "more than average" or "more than other dogs" or needs "a lot of exercise" don't really translate for me since I'm not really sure what "most" people do with their dogs. I mean I was watching a show where people had a 3 yr old dane/hound mix and were taking it on a 20 minute walk 3 times a week and thought that was ok. I take my 10 yr old lab mix on a walk 3 times A DAY. MINIMUM. So I thought I'd ask what everyone's week usually looked like as far as exercise so I can get a better idea of how I'd need to modify what I do now for a dobe. Thanks!

#2 ·
Petey will be 9 months old on the 27th....he is over 85# already....solid muscle. An average day with him is at least a one hour hike on trails in the woods and fields....if time permits the hike might last 2 hours or more. Most evenings he is taken back to the same park and either run off lead for another hour or has a short walk and a run with a revolving group of dogs. The very minimum I do, if I don't have much time is at least one hour a day of off lead running. Petey has had this exersize since he was about 16 weeks old and in every sort of weather, including snow and rain. If I don't get him out....he will grab his leash and bring it to me over and over until I get the message.

Carol & Petey!
ox

#4 ·
Rudi knows I wear the pants in the family.....He is more than happy to lay on the couch for hours on end. He is the laziest dobe ever. He kinda has a "whatever you say, mommy" type of personality.

Me:"Wanna go for a walk?"
Rudi: "okay"

Me: "Wanna go bye- bye?"
Rudi: "Okay"

Me: "Wanna lay on the couch all day?"
Rudi: "Okay"

He lets me sleep as long as I want on the weekends....he usually gets me up by noon. LOL

During the week......Our routine is,
I get up and get a shower while he sleeps in (on the couch, he doesn't use his doggy bed) as I am getting out of the shower, he gets off the couch and lays or sits near the front door, then I let him out after I dry off.

I think he is a minimal expenditure dog.

#7 ·
So I'm thinking that my current routine with shadow would be fine unless I wanted to start doing agility or flyball or something like that with dobe, which would obviously take more training/fitness. This is pretty much what we do:

morning walk 40min-hour, 3-4 times a week morning hike approx 2hrs
afternoon walk, short with the heat
'playing' outside (shadow isnt much of a player, never was, his playing mostly consists of hunting for cats, no worries, once he finds them he commences the face and body licking - gotta keep those neighborhood cats clean!)
nighttime walk, varies depending on my work load usually about 30 minutes
the occasional rollerblade (shadows not very good at this, he can walk forever, but running is def not his strong suit)
every other weekend - 80 fenced in acres with hills and streams to run around in with the horses and other dogs

I was thinking this would probably be fine but I read/hear people saying all the time that they need "so much exercise" that I wasnt really sure what they were comparing "so much" to. Shadow is suprisingly fit for as poorly put together he is, you never know with mutts what parts of which breeds theyll get. Unfortunately he got the front half of one dog and the back half of another but being lazy was never an option for him growing up on a farm so I think he's built up muscle sufficiently enough to compensate.

Id love to hear more about how everyone exercises their dobes!

#8 ·
I use to tie my dobie to my bicycle (I used a 4 ft leash) and we'd ride for about 30 minutes to an hour 4-5 days a week. I looped the leash right to the seat post. It was just the right amount of length. I use to really put her through the ringer too! We would alternate between a nice jog and an all out sprint. My bike has a spot for a water bottle so every 10 minutes or so we'd pull over and I'd give her a squirt and she was ready to go again.

I wish I had pictures of it because it was quite the sight.

#10 ·
My weeks vary, but I`ll give it a try. Tamora is always ready to go, but does not get into trouble if we don`t. She just waits paitiently and follows me around the house. I really have it good with her.
Usually we spend 1-2 hours outside weeding, watering, taking care of flowers. I must admit if I dig she wants to help. If i pull weeds she wants to help. She only does this when I am doing it. She only likes to be outside when I am--which I like.
I train her almost everyday not always the same thing. Some formal, some future ground work and some tricks.
We go to the park (1-3 hours) several times a week, sometimes I let her swim.
Classes we go to sometimes 4 times a week.
I am having more fun with her. I have the time now and am enjoying every minute of it.:)

#11 ·
Red has a 1.25 acre fenced-in yard that he runs around in all day. We play frisbee or fetch with him a few times a day, and then use the laser pointer at night which he LOVES!! It's so fun to watch him running full tilt after the laser!

He also gets a 30-45 minute walk almost everyday.

He crashes by about 11pm and sleeps through the entire night. He never wakes us up in the morning. Depending on the day (my hubby and my work schedules vary day-by-day) sometimes he will get to spend the morning outside, and sometimes he has to go right back in his crate after breakfast while we're at work. But there's only a span of 4-5 hours that no one is home and he has to be in his crate during the day.

This routine seems to be working well for us and Red, considering we both work full-time. Red has never been destructive or seemed like he has too much pent-up energy. I think every dog will be a little different in regards to energy and exercise requirements.

I cringe to think what will happen in the winter when it's bitterly cold out and he doesn't want to stay outside all day... he's gonna hate being cooped up in the house all day. He hates the cold though - I think I'm going to buy him a fleece jacket for walks and stuff, but don't tell my hubby that!! shhhh

#12 ·
hi buddy and me walk 2-3 miles after work off leash then 2 miles on our town streets at 8:30pm buddy can read clocks! on weekends we go to a new area to hike.many atime i felt like i was really tired and did not feel like going for a walk at nite but after walking 5 min on the road with buddy i felt great! and was glad to have him get me up and out of the house.you meet alot of people with a dobe

#14 ·
Thanks everyone! I was happy to see that no one posted anything ridiculous like "I run my dobe for 5 hours then he swims for an hour then climbs a mountain and finishes it up with a dig to China." lol Just wanted to make sure that their exercise requirements were more along the lines of what I expected, even with the obvious differences in all your dogs and their average week.

Just a side note - I've decided to get my first dobe from a rescue and after weeks of reading just about every post on this forum, about breeders, both good and bad, training issues, health problems, the (mostly) polite arguments, i mean discussions :) I feel so confident in my decision. I know I am taking a risk on their health and temperment and (unless the dog turns out to be overly aggressive) I am prepared to do everything I have to. If the dog only lives to be 3, we never win an agility competition, or even come close, and I have to roll the dog around in a radio flyer - this forum has really shown me my options and the possible outcomes of my decisions. In a few years hopefully I will be back asking for recommendations for a reputable breeder where I can buy an ass kicking show dog :biggrin55 but right now I feel I am really going into this with my eyes wide open (a big change from a few weeks ago) and I really wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to everyone on here. I have contacted my local doberman rescue league and am waiting for their response. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

#18 ·
I can't wait to have an active dog! Even when Poseidon was a youngster he was very laid back (someone forgot to inform him that Sibes are high energy). Now that he's 11 he's the quiet and dignified old man. He sleeps all day and pretty much just wakes up for potty walks.

When it was cooler out we'd go to the dog park once or twice a week depending on how sore he was afterwards. He just runs full out even when he's past the point of exhaustion, and then his knees hurt. He zonks out for 3 days after a visit to the dog park, I swear he curses me out everytime I make him go outside for potty purposes.

I love him dearly, but I really want a dog I can be more active with. I've got some pudge I need to get rid of, and treadmills are boring!

That being said I still want my boy to be with me for a good long time, so I'll have to be patient.

#19 ·
Newpup...
I found this forum about 1 1/2 years after I adopted Rudi. As I did more investigative work about the breed, I discovered what BYBers are and what a full breed rescue was. I knew I could give a great home to a dobe. I also knew I really didn't want a "newpup" (LOL) I love puppies, don't get me wrong. I just didn't think my house and furnishings would like a new puppy if you know what I mean. LOL
I couldn't believe the lengths the rescue went to match me with a dobe. The background check, home check, vet check, references....and on and on. They could possibly be even more thorough looking at prospective adopters than some breeders are. I was amazed at the match they made with Rudi and I. Absolutely perfect in every way. He is my first Dobe and won't be my last. I plan to rescue in the future and maybe one day, like yourself, get that pup from a reputable breeder. But until then, I am enjoying everyday with my guy as we all know too well, we never know how long we have. Good luck in your search for a rescue dobe, listen to the rescues advice and I'm sure you will get a perfect match, too.

#25 ·
We go to a large conservation park, several times a week. I throw the ball for her on my lunch hours and also do about 5 minutes of o.b. a few times a week. Weekends we sometimes go and visit friends who have dogs and she get's exercise then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.