Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

Sorry I dropped off the face of the planet:) I'll update on how myself and Amadeus have been later, but for now, I really wanted to post this up because I was pretty appalled and need doberman talk's help.

we were in the petstore grabbing food for Amadeus, and we went to look at the puppies that were there for sale (just because we always do). I was wandering down the aisle and I noticed... a little DOBERMAN puppy.

This beautiful little girl is only 11 weeks old. We took her out and played with her and she was SO ADORABLE. I wanted to take her home so bad but with work and Amadeus (she's not even 3 yet) a puppy would be too much for me to handle.

She was so playful and good tempered and it broke our hearts to leave her in the pet store and not take her home. But anybody in the TAMPA FLORIDA area : if you're looking for a doberman, please check this girl out. I can't stand the fact that she's in a pet store (are they even allowed to be sold in there??) and she was purebred AKC with papers.

She doesn't deserve to be in a little pet store cage with the rest of those dogs.

Is ANYBODY looking for a pup in the Tampa area? If you are, respond here or shoot me a message and I'll tell you the location she's in.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Folks, before you succumb to the allure of beautiful brown puppy eyes, please read these articles:

Pet Shop Puppies
About.com Dogs - Buying a Puppy - Responsible Breeders Versus Pet Store Puppies

Please do not buy this pet store pup. AKC registration of pet shop pups is meaningless. Please tell you local Dobe rescue about her. If she remains unsold, the pet shop might dump her off at a shelter or animal control. Alerting rescue gives them an opportunity to step in and save this poor Dobe from possible exploitation by a BYB or an irresponsible purchaser.

Just my humble opinion and thanks for reading it.:wavey:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am normally very against buying puppies from pet stores (amadeus is from a breeder) and if it were any other dog I wouldn't care, but unfortunately after taking her out all I could think about when I left was her sitting in that cage.

The doberman rescue is a good idea; I haven't look into if there are any in the Tampa area but that will be my next step- at least there she will not be getting her glass barrier banged at and little kids running around screaming.

I appreciate the advice :) I'm letting my heart rule right now :\

·
joie de vivre
11,315 Posts
OMG. This makes me sick to my stomach. That poor puppy.

This is exactly why I refuse to patronize stores that sell animals. Absolutely heart breaking but they don't deserve to profit from treating animals like that. :(

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hey!

Sorry I dropped off the face of the planet:) I'll update on how myself and Amadeus have been later, but for now, I really wanted to post this up because I was pretty appalled and need doberman talk's help.

we were in the petstore grabbing food for Amadeus, and we went to look at the puppies that were there for sale (just because we always do). I was wandering down the aisle and I noticed... a little DOBERMAN puppy.

This beautiful little girl is only 11 weeks old. We took her out and played with her and she was SO ADORABLE. I wanted to take her home so bad but with work and Amadeus (she's not even 3 yet) a puppy would be too much for me to handle.

She was so playful and good tempered and it broke our hearts to leave her in the pet store and not take her home. But anybody in the TAMPA FLORIDA area : if you're looking for a doberman, please check this girl out. I can't stand the fact that she's in a pet store (are they even allowed to be sold in there??) and she was purebred AKC with papers.

She doesn't deserve to be in a little pet store cage with the rest of those dogs.

Is ANYBODY looking for a pup in the Tampa area? If you are, respond here or shoot me a message and I'll tell you the location she's in.
She doesn't deserve it, no.

But neither would the next puppy they ordered in to replace her, once you paid them money for mistreating her.

Nor the next, nor the next.

Nor her parents, in whatever mill or broker's barn.

I am normally very against buying puppies from pet stores (amadeus is from a breeder) and if it were any other dog I wouldn't care, but unfortunately after taking her out all I could think about when I left was her sitting in that cage.

The doberman rescue is a good idea; I haven't look into if there are any in the Tampa area but that will be my next step- at least there she will not be getting her glass barrier banged at and little kids running around screaming.

I appreciate the advice :) I'm letting my heart rule right now :\
And they count on that, the petstores.

For those who don't know any better, to buy.

For those who don't care to wait, and control their impulses, to buy.

And for those who know better, but succumb to the heart-hurt...and buy anyway.

It would have been better had you not gone in the store to begin with, and this is why I refuse to buy even a lone dog biscuit from petstores who sell puppies.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She doesn't deserve it, no.

But neither would the next puppy they ordered in to replace her, once you paid them money for mistreating her.

Nor the next, nor the next.

Nor her parents, in whatever mill or broker's barn.

And they count on that, the petstores.

For those who don't know any better, to buy.

For those who don't care to wait, and control their impulses, to buy.

And for those who know better, but succumb to the heart-hurt...and buy anyway.

It would have been better had you not gone in the store to begin with, and this is why I refuse to buy even a lone dog biscuit from petstores who sell puppies.
I do understand what you're saying but unfortunately when gas is 4 dollars a gallon, the closest pet store to me is the one I go to (the rest are 6-7 miles away)

I just looked up some doberman rescues in Florida but it seems the closest one is Ft. Lauderdale. Any that I'm missing that maybe weren't listed?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been looking at that photo and thinking about it and I think that pup is closer to 14 weeks, not 11.

If so, then she's rapidly going to age out of the "aww, ain't she cute" stage and become an awkward-looking gangly pup. Please let rescue know about her soon. Thanks!:wavey:
She was definitely big, but then again it's hard for me to judge because my puppy was the runt of the litter. Her paws were definitely bigger than Amadeus's though! all extra skin and big paws!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I do understand what you're saying but unfortunately when gas is 4 dollars a gallon, the closest pet store to me is the one I go to (the rest are 6-7 miles away)

I just looked up some doberman rescues in Florida but it seems the closest one is Ft. Lauderdale. Any that I'm missing that maybe weren't listed?

Well, gas is four dollars a gallon here and this ol' gal ain't rich and has to drive waaaaaay farther than 6-7 miles :)

Check for some supplies online. With high gas prices, it can actually be cost effective to order some stuff, and you get the added benefit of knowing you haven't contributed to the puppymillers with your hard-earned dollars.

I'm not sure why folks are telling you to call rescues.

No offense, but, erm, what are the rescues supposed to do?

The pet store is NOT going to dump this dog for free. If they have to, they will sucker some poor soul into buying her cheap, but they won't surrender her for free to a rescue.

Any ethical rescue is NOT going to put money in the hands of the big machine of puppymill/broker/pet store abuse, either.

How could they? They can't save them all, and they'd just be contributing to the problem themselves, if they paid for her.

I hate to say it, but the only ethical thing to do is to walk away from her and pray she lands in a home that will become educated and rescue or purchase from a good breeder next time.

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
Well, gas is four dollars a gallon here and this ol' gal ain't rich and has to drive waaaaaay farther than 6-7 miles :)

Check for some supplies online. With high gas prices, it can actually be cost effective to order some stuff, and you get the added benefit of knowing you haven't contributed to the puppymillers with your hard-earned dollars.

The pet store is NOT going to dump this dog for free. If they have to, they will sucker some poor soul into buying her cheap, but they won't surrender her for free to a rescue.

Any ethical rescue is NOT going to put money in the hands of the big machine of puppymill/broker/pet store abuse, either.

How could they? They can't save them all, and they'd just be contributing to the problem themselves, if they paid for her.

I hate to say it, but the only ethical thing to do is to walk away from her and pray she lands in a home that will become educated and rescue or purchase from a good breeder next time.
Yes unfortunately I don't think selling this pup will be a problem.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I really hope she ends up with a responsible owner.

note taken on ordering online... it's probably cheaper than buying directly at a pet store, too! yay for bulk. :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
True; most breed-specific rescues do not buy dogs from owners, BYBs or petshops. (There are many groups who will buy dogs at auctions to get them out of puppymills but that doesn't apply to this pup.) I don't mean to imply that a rescue group is going to swoop in and buy this pup to keep it from going to an inappropriate home.

While it is standard business practice for a store to attempt to get something for damaged/remaindered inventory and not to just give it away, there have been situations where a pet shop's manager opted to give a less-desirable dog to rescue instead of just selling the dog to the first fool willing to pay for it. Unlikely? Yes? Rare? Yes. But it has happened so I recommend informing rescue so that they at least can contact the shop and see if the shop will cooperate. At the very least, rescue can leave contact info for the buyer in case they have any questions about the breed or problems with the pup. That way, the buyer might decide to call rescue first before putting an ad on CraigsList that they have to re-home their 7-month-old AKC pup because the puppy has become aggressive towards their 18-month-old baby who obviously only wants to love on the puppy and hug it and kiss it and pound the pup over the head with toys. :ranting2:

Also, should the pup show up at Animal Control, rescue will be able to ID her and have some idea of her background. I have been involved in several cases where I examined and photographed a dog advertised on CraigsList (or similar venues) on behalf of rescue and later ID'd the dog at Animal Control or at the home of someone who found the dog roaming or at the home of someone who had received the dog from the advertiser and then decided they didn't want it. At the time I examined the dog, the owner was insisting on payment, so rescue didn't take it. But when the dog later showed up needing assistance, rescue had some idea of the dog's history and background.

Agreed. But also let rescue know about her. Thanks!:wavey:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts