Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had posted a whole back about separation anxiety with my boy Snoop after his sickness. He has become extremely attached to me. He most certainly see's me more as a litter mate then a pack leader. That's what his daddy is here for! I admit I let him get away with more and I definitely give him much more love & attention & I play with him more but that's not to say that he doesn't listen to me when I discipline him.
Anyhow I spend almost all of my time home and then some taking care of him and comforting him during his weird illness. Now that he is doing great he expects me to still be at his side constantly. I also have a whole new love and appreciation for him and I most certainly do not take him for granted and I try to give him as much attention & spend as much time as I can with him. This however has become a great source of conflict between me & my fiance because he is constantly following me. Also if I am not.paying attention or leave the room he does a lot of pacing & whining. That annoys my fiance and so he's always yelling at him.
I guess I didn't realize just how bad it was until last week when my fiances parents stayed with us for a week. We don't have company very often and not since he's been sick until now. Snoop was being very rude, he wouldn't even let me have a conversation. If I was talking to my mother in law he would stand at the other side of the room constantly barking & howling for my attention. It was super annoying and I couldn't put a stop to it. When we had a party on Saturday we actually had to drop him off at a dog sitters house because he was sooooo bad. He isn't the kind of dog we can just lock in the basement. He will be crying & barking all night.
I need to put a stop to it and make.him understand.that my attention cannot always be focused on him. I know most of it is me having to change my ways because I always give in and pet him just to make him stop the whining and pacing. He knows he has me wrapped around his paws! Does anyone have any on how to calm him down? Any help would be appreciated. I do not want to always have to have him babysat when we have parties. I would like him to be a respectful gentleman to my friends and family.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Does he get exercise daily? How much? I always make sure Phoenix gets Alot of exercise when I have people over not because he barks but because he will be tired and just lay down and relax. Phoenix is still a puppy so if he did not get exercise he would get excited with the company. Many times he has brought all his toys out from his room to almost show off I feel like lol you said you give in easily. That's your problem. They are smart and if you let them will take charge or who is the leader. I would Definetly try more exercise prior to company. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
21,730 Posts
Sounds like he's developed separation anxiety and that it is escalating. Please get in touch with a professional trainer to develop a plan and start working on this. The longer you let it go the worse it will get, especially as it sounds like you are reinforcing this behavior.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well see that's the thing. Has hasn't been getting nearly as much exercise as he did pre-illness. He can't run even 1/3 as fast as he used to be able to. He used to zoom back and forth like a gazelle and not he looks more like a bunny when he tries to run. At only 2 it is sad to see. I loved watching him run it was one of my favorite things. Anyway it is separation anxiety for sure. I have been trying very hard to ignore him when he acts rude. If I stop petting him he gets mouthy and nudges me with his nose. That's when I fold my arms and turn my back to him. It is hard to do when we have guests here. I just want to put an end to it immediately so I appease him by petting him. I have to break my habits too. Unfortunately giving him a toy or treat or both is only a temporary fix. I need to learn how to not give him his way.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Well see that's the thing. Has hasn't been getting nearly as much exercise as he did pre-illness. He can't run even 1/3 as fast as he used to be able to. He used to zoom back and forth like a gazelle and not he looks more like a bunny when he tries to run. At only 2 it is sad to see. I loved watching him run it was one of my favorite things. Anyway it is separation anxiety for sure. I have been trying very hard to ignore him when he acts rude. If I stop petting him he gets mouthy and nudges me with his nose. That's when I fold my arms and turn my back to him. It is hard to do when we have guests here. I just want to put an end to it immediately so I appease him by petting him. I have to break my habits too. Unfortunately giving him a toy or treat or both is only a temporary fix. I need to learn how to not give him his way.
I would look into txsapphire referrals. Get a trainer to help you.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Here are some excellent training options, again. They are all close to you and would really benefit you and Snoop. All have had many doberman students.

I train here on Wednesday nights but they also have classes on other days and times:
A Step Above - Evelyn Rossi
44 Union Avenue (exit 60 off the LIE)
Ronkonkoma, NY (631)289-4246

I train here on Monday nights:
Doggie U K9 Academy - dog training facility Long Island

This trainer comes highly recommended and has classes in Syosset on Tuesday nights:
Riverstone Dog Training | Riverstone Dog Training

Here is another one that is good:
Suffolk Obedience Training Club

I also have contacts for trainers that will do private lessons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We trained Snoop at Quail Run. The Ronkonkoma place is close by to wear I live. How much are.classes?
Snoop is still nursing his injury which originally started his illness. He still is unable to run. When he was 100% I would have loved to see him on an agility course. I believe that is part of our problem. He isn't getting nearly as much excercise as he used to. He used to be out in the yard runnning like a mad man using up all that energy. Now he can only run short distances.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
We trained Snoop at Quail Run. The Ronkonkoma place is close by to wear I live. How much are.classes?
Snoop is still nursing his injury which originally started his illness. He still is unable to run. When he was 100% I would have loved to see him on an agility course. I believe that is part of our problem. He isn't getting nearly as much excercise as he used to. He used to be out in the yard runnning like a mad man using up all that energy. Now he can only run short distances.
I would call them and ask what classes and times they have. Prices will vary but I pay $90 for six classes. Classes are kept small so that each dog/handler will get quality instruction.

My class has only four dogs/handlers, including Sabrina.

Where is Quail Run? Haven't heard of that one.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Other ways to exercise a dog get a Trick book teach all the tricks in the book one or two at a time, work on obedience also you can look up NILF dog training this will help tire him out. A good dog is a tired dog the NILF will help allot teaches the dog you are the boss with out any force, he may think he is the lead dog NILF turns it around. I do not believe in dominance from a dog or the other way from a person.Training is a good way to bond also give the dog confidence I have never had a dog with separation anxiety have had dogs about 43 years now.The more you read on training there are so many different ways to train just incorporate what you like and feel comfortable with just keep learning. good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts