Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those doing the research on this breed in hope to purchasing a Doberman in the future, If I may offer a few words of advice. Heck, even if your a Doberman owner and Don't Do the Following please consider!

These dogs come in a wide range of drives. Some will be completely content sitting on the couch all day, yes they are rare but it does happen. Others will only be sufficed with constant work, they need a daily load of mental and physical stimulation to be at ease in their home. So you must be ready for what dog you are dealt. Yes the breeding will play a significant role in the dog you receive but know for the person wanting a couch potato you just may end up with a Doberman who wants to work!

This is an animal who genuinely wants to please its master. Please show it to do so in a positive way. They do not respond well to a forceful/alpha roling owner, thats just a way to Piss off a 60-90lbs dog.

If your coming to this site and have a dog from a BYB, its not the end of the world, but realize that this site is to educate you on how to be a responsible pet owner. So use the site to better yourself as a pet owner and help to educate others. This does mean however that using the whole I didn't know better we were un-educated thing does't work forever.

Puppies are puppies, they will be that way for a while. Please don't expect a puppy to understand "Grownup" things. When you have a puppy your number one concern should be to love, shelter, and provide for them. This is the time when your deepest bond will be made. Don't mess it up trying to get them to do obedience far beyond a puppies attention span. They are babies, have fun it won't last forever.

Please realize 99.99% of all problems encountered with your dog is YOUR fault. The good is your dog will be more than willing to fix them with your help! You just need to be the kind and consistent leader they need to thrive.

If your doing homework and have kids do realize this is a breed who can thrive with kids. BUT it is up to you to make it happen. TO be honest it will take a lot on your part, you cannot expect a rambunctious puppy to be a teddy bear to toddlers. It can work but it takes training, dedication , and a calm owner/parent to make it happen. It take as much work on training the kids to respect the dogs boundaries as it does to teach the dog to repeat the kids boundaries. It also take you getting a dog from stable parents(i.e. a reputable breeder).

I lurked this forum for some time during my research phase in looking for a dog, and I feel what I wrote would have been exactly what I was looking for then. If your doing your research trying to gather information on a new dog for your home, Thank You! We truly need people who take the time and think dog ownership through. If your a dog owner and just realizing what that truly means good for you too! I can tell anyone who is looking at his that from my research and this forum I have a happy well rounded Doberman who lives with a 3 and 2 year old, is from show line and is training in Schutzhund and is my best bud and a complete couch potato(when I want him to be). These dogs have a tremendous ability to learn, and can work in many situations but it all falls on the owner to make this happen. Good luck to you and yours!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Good job, Tperkins!!! Education is always good. hmmm...By the way, we would love to see some more pictures of yo ur family. I havent seen any since the birthday pics...maybe I missed some? Sorry for the digression, carry on.:)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Good job, Tperkins!!! Education is always good. hmmm...By the way, we would love to see some more pictures of yo ur family. I havent seen any since the birthday pics...maybe I missed some? Sorry for the digression, carry on.:)
There are a couple in Zelda's 'creepin thread, but more would be nice. Great post!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Excellent thread. Excellent way of informing without hurting, embarrassing or alienating. Thank you for posting.

KC/Linda

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Good stuff.!!!!!
Should be a sticky,LOL

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts