Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thank you to all for any help

I am researching Garshangan kenels

I want to buy a red male from them. I have seen a 8 month old pup form the last litter In a picture they have send me
He looks so awesome. I've been to there web site and found they do have some champions I'm not sure who they are breeding i am looking into this . I do know the dog will have 1/4 euro in it I'm not familiar with the euro.
I have heard about the money that was latter refunded.
She sounds like a good person I will have to fly down there to see the pups or they will ship, but i would reather be there In person this will be a Heavy expense as I have saved up for this. The biggest red flag I got was she didn't want to send any picture of the male or female as a bad picture could make her dogs look bad and she wouldnt want that floating around I can respect this but seem a little off. Next she won't give any referance or numbers of who have her dogs as she doesn't want them to be bombbared by calls a deposit of 500 for puppy's that aren't on the ground would be refunded if no red male

Any other thought on this
Note I have check in my area for other breeders red male is a hard find here

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
From everything you've said, I would find a different breeder.
My breeder is more than happy to send any good and/or candid shots of her dogs to those that are interested. She also has several people who are more than willing to talk to prospective buyers and that have told her as such to allow her to give their number/email out.
"They do have SOME champions" Only a few? I would want most if not all of the dogs that are being bred to have some form of title in some sort of venue!
Does she mention health testing at all? if not red flag! again

Find a different breeder is my honest and very large recomendation!

Also where are you located? It will help us here on DT find some more reputable breeders in your area who ideally have the red male your looking for

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just visited their website and it does mention that they do health tests of some kind, but it doesn't go into any detail as to what tests are being done. I did notice that they offer a six year guarantee, which is something I haven't seen before.....But I would still tread with caution, it's really tough to draw an accurate conclusion from a website alone. I would definitely make a trip to the kennel in person before any money is exchanged. Good luck!

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She does test the parents, pups come with a 6year health garrenti.
I'm from Red Deer Alberta
I have talk to some very nice breaders here, most are not having litters for a while and others have a type one so no red males :(
I really like nice almond shaped eyes and a nice crop this is most Importion to me And health

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Holy Mackerel! You would actually consider buying a puppy from someone who won't send photos of the parents, won't give references from people who have her dogs, and wants $500 in advance of any puppies on the ground??? Your screen name is all wrong if you think this is the way a reputable breeder would act. Reputable breeders are all about bragging on the dogs they are breeding, including photos, records of achievements, and pedigrees. They have people who can be asked for references who will validate them as reputable. Giving a $500 deposit before pups are on the ground and you even know if you have a chance to get one is crazy IMO. I just would not do it.

All in all, if you are willing to have a pup shipped and you are a REPUTABLE BUYER that a breeder can verify as being a good home for a puppy, then you have plenty of excellent breeders from which to choose. You may have to be patient to find a red male puppy but your patience will pay off if you take the time to deal with breeders who are in it to better the breed by full health testing on the parents; PROVING the quality of the parents with working and/or show titles; full disclosure on all information about dam, sire, longevity of the line, pedigree, etc.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
You may have to be patient to find a red male puppy.
Red male pet quality puppies are the hardest for breeders to place. It's NOT hard to find a red male, just because breeders in your immediate area don't have one doesn't mean there aren't bunches of them looking for homes at any given moment in time.

I can understand not wanting unflattering pictures of your dogs floating around the internet..I'm VERY careful about the pictures I post here or that are passed out to people. But you make a point of *getting* some good pics of your dog,especially if that dog is going to be used for breeding- this isn't a real challenge in the problem solving area.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Isn't this breeder a member of DT?

Reactions: Okie-dobie
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy Mackerel! You would actually consider buying a puppy from someone who won't send photos of the parents, won't give references from people who have her dogs, and wants $500 in advance of any puppies on the ground??? Your screen name is all wrong if you think this is the way a reputable breeder would act. Reputable breeders are all about bragging on the dogs they are breeding, including photos, records of achievements, and pedigrees. They have people who can be asked for references who will validate them as reputable. Giving a $500 deposit before pups are on the ground and you even know if you have a chance to get one is crazy IMO. I just would not do it.

All in all, if you are willing to have a pup shipped and you are a REPUTABLE BUYER that a breeder can verify as being a good home for a puppy, then you have plenty of excellent breeders from which to choose. You may have to be patient to find a red male puppy but your patience will pay off if you take the time to deal with breeders who are in it to better the breed by full health testing on the parents; PROVING the quality of the parents with working and/or show titles; full disclosure on all information about dam, sire, longevity of the line, pedigree, etc.

I know it must seem a little wild to comit to giving a deposit with out pups on the ground, But after searching for a long time and finding exactly what you want it's very hard
to say no and even harder to say no after seeing that picture of that 8 month old pup witch was sent by email
I can say they are a member of many of the clubs and that I did find them of the breeders list to make sure they weren't a byb

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I believe the breeder has had a problem in the past about issuing a refund when it was necessary. While that problem was resolved, I don't think it would be very smart to be giving them a deposit before the litter even hits the ground if you want a specific sex and color. Why set yourself up for the same kind of ugly situation?

·
Registered
675 Posts
You could ask the Breeder to contact some of her puppy owners 6 seems like a good number and ask them if they minded you calling about their puppy.

Most of the time Dobe owners really enjoy talking about their Dobe.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe the breeder has had a problem in the past about issuing a refund when it was necessary. While that problem was resolved, I don't think it would be very smart to be giving them a deposit before the litter even hits the ground if you want a specific sex and color. Why set yourself up for the same kind of ugly situation?

Good honest point

thanks

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think this comment makes reference to a thread that eventually showed that the breeder had lost their spouse and a freeze had been put onto their bank accounts. It's a pretty hefty thread, but I think that's eventually what came out of it (http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/62001-garshangan-dobermans-ontario-scam.html).

I'm from the area where this breeder lives, so I dug around Dobermantalk for a bit looking at them too. Other than this past problem and I think one other, the other posts have, in general, been decent to Garshangan Kennels. Unfortunately there isn't a lot, which could be a good or bad thing.

A few members do have dobermans from them - I believe Soundgardns is one of them. You could try pm'ing them?

Also -- please don't take offense to this question, but how long have you been looking into breeders? I feel like I've stumbled across some good, reputable breeders in BC when I've been lurking through this board's history.... It may prove more helpful if you did some digging - and it might also save you an $800 flight.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Red male pet quality puppies are the hardest for breeders to place. It's NOT hard to find a red male, just because breeders in your immediate area don't have one doesn't mean there aren't bunches of them looking for homes at any given moment in time.

I can understand not wanting unflattering pictures of your dogs floating around the internet..I'm VERY careful about the pictures I post here or that are passed out to people. But you make a point of *getting* some good pics of your dog,especially if that dog is going to be used for breeding- this isn't a real challenge in the problem solving area.
I don't agree with the comment about red pet pups being the hardest to place. I have had a ton of enquiries for reds, males especially and it just seems to be one of those things that is popular one month, not the next.

I do ask for a deposit and I think most do (in Ontario anyway) but I do also keep a separate list. So if someone wanted to wait to see if there was a red male, fine however if there was another person with a deposit obviously they have first priority. I guess it's all in how you feel about the breeder and whether you are willing to take the chance there will be lots of whatever it is you are hoping to get.

I agree totally that most breeders would bombard you with photos of their dogs LOL and I think references are important but keep in mind no one is likely to give a reference who is going to badmouth them.

Good luck with the puppy search.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update

I have desided to pass on karshangan kennels

I have found two other breaders , but I won't know if there are any red males until April . I'll also have to wait until June before i can pick him up, and then fly out to ontario

I don't mind paying for the pup , but the added cost sure sucks

I was hoping to buy in Alberta.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts