Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mosquitoes are SO BAD this year in Georgia. :mad: I've read older posts with recommendations to use Skin So Soft or even home made remedies...but if there is such a thing as deet-free bug off, would that be safe for our 5 month pup?

Any other recommendations are appreciated as well. I just want to be able to buy something and spray it on him. Thanks ahead of time!

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Mosquito Repellent

I got this recipe by searching DT and have used it for a few weeks now. It seems to work very well up at the cottage here in Canada, where the mosquitos have been plentiful this season!:let_it_all_out:

Lemon-Rosemary/ natural repellent

* Take a BIG fat lemon (the more rind the better) and slice it paper thin.
* Put in a bowl with a tablespoon of crushed rosemary leaves (or a 6 inch sprig of fresh).
* Pour a quart of hot, near boiling water over the lemon/rosemary mixture.
* Let steep overnight.
* Strain and put into a large spray bottle.
* Keep in fridge.
(NOTE: double or triple the recipe/then divide and freeze some)
Shake well before applying.

The d-lemone in this spray along with the rosemary oil will give your dog a beautiful shiny coat and keep fleas and other bugs away (including mosquitoes, so you get extra heartworm protection).
If your dog has dry skin or allergies add a teaspoon of tea tree oil and a tablespoon of Aloe pulp. Use the spray at least twice a week to keep the scent on the coat to repel bugs, and spray it around your doors and through the carpets. If it's a bad flea time, spray daily on the belly and feet to repel them. This has worked wonders for many years - and not only for the dogs, but people when hiking or walking in the woods. No bug will get near this stuff. And, of course, it's all natural.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
keep him inside
that's what I would do
I live in TExas and we have bugs too...they suck
there are certain times of the day that mosquitos are not around==like in the sun--I think they are nocturnal

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted to be lazy and just buy something, but looks like natural home remedies is probably the best way to go about it.

Sounds like rosemary a natural repellent? Should I buy a few pots from Home Depot and plant them in the backyard to help as a natural defense, on top of the home made repellant spray?

Duke is an inside dog, but in the short 5 -10 minutes he's outside to handle business in the backyard, those mosquitoes don't miss a beat! It's so awful!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts