Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Crazy Dobe
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys so i weighed my dog today and yesterday at the vets she is 9 months old and purebred she is also in heat and hit the scales at 59.6lbs is she overweight she is very big bodied like a male doberman i have been told by 3 different vets that she has a male body and when she is done growing she will hit the scales 77-88 lbs i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing yeah but for 3 different vets to say one thing it must be definite for now how do you think here weight is she does not look fat or skinny but looks full i think its because she is growing taller she is one week skinny one week bulky but thats just my opinion also the vets also said she has another 3-4 inches to take in height so whats your opinion on all of this ?

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Do you have any pictures of her? I think its much better to do it by sight than numbers. If you can easily feel ribs, I wouldnt really worry about the weight on the scales.

If she is on the larger side, I'd want to keep her on the thin side for the minimum stress on her bones.
Agree ^

Need a good clear pic of her, from the side.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
There's no way to tell if she's heavy, thin or just right without several photos from various angles... Dobes, like people, grow at different rates, develop muscles at different rates, and there are no fixed or set weight or height timelines. If she looks sleek and gets plenty of playtime, she's probably fine. Sometimes hormonal changes during heat can make them get a little extra blubber...

·
Alpha Male
43 Posts
I was actually thinking thats a little underweight from what ive read from other peoples experiences lol... but i would have to see pictures to give an opinion. My boy just turned 8 months and is 79 lbs.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
I think she could have more of a tuck up, but its hard to say if she's just built that way.. did she have one when she was younger?

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
She's not overweight she's "Euro"!

LOL, sorry I had to say that in jest, as sometimes that is an excuse people give for their overweight dobes. It's hard to say from just your photos but she could probably lose a few pounds. In all honesty she's probably closer to the appropriate weight than where 90% of doberman owners have their dogs (remember knowledgeable owners like us on DT are in the minority). But being overweight at a young age can cause later problems so keep on top of it, and if you are unsure find a knowledgeable doberman person in your area and just ask them to look at your puppy and give you an honest opinion. I really doubt she will grow any more in height, maybe 1/4-1/2" at most, and her adult weight might reach 65#.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
she is a little.......'soft'. :)

How is her energy level, how much are you feeding her now?

i see she has a puffy elbow too.

Hugz to Athena!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Aww she is pretty :) I would want a little weight of her tbh, she's not huge but could stand to loose a bit for sure.

How does an elbow get puffy like that, is it fluid build up from an injury? Or something some dog are prone too?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
quite a few Dobes seem to get fluid build up in there elbows.

Usually younger dobes, the ones that just flop down onto their elbows when they go to lay down.

not much cushioning there, just bone to floor so to speak. :)

I have noticed that sometimes the issue 'runs' in certain family lines.

some Vet's recommend drainage, others (and I agree) just say leave it alone and it will go down on its own, some will use protective leg gear to give more cushioning to the elbow as they 'heal'.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Pretty girl! I like them to have a little bulk on them although I have heard it is bad for them to be overweight due to joint issues. My girl is a little chubby as well but two months ago she looked skinny to me after she went through a growth spurt. It is hard to get them at that just right perfect weight because they lose weight so quickly. I would take my vets advise. Good luck.

·
Crazy Dobe
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah thanks for all your responses if i understood correctly someone asked if she had a littler and no she has not as for the lumps on her elbows its due to her sleeping on the tiles because she is so hot we have seen 2 different vets for it one tried draining it and it was not ready so he said leave it for a week and if it starts going down we are ok because if you drain it he said it will fill up again so we are in luck because they are going down thank god otherwise the next step is surgery i have tried so many ways to get her to sleep on her bed and she wont she will only lay on the tiles because its cooler as for her weight i beleive she is maybe a pound or 2 overweight but then again maybe not because she is growing height now she was a bit of a late bloomer and she is on heat during this current weighing and during these photos so in another week we will re way her and she is eating royal canin juniour large dog 2 cups twice a day thats the best food i can get here and all the vets we have seen recomend it even one vet who didnt sell it recomended it but yeah she gets her daily excericise so hopefully she is healthy her energy level is very high so she gets alot of play time and walks i try and do my best with her so if anyone has any advice for me please let me know anything i can do to better my dog because i want her around for a long time the love i have for this dog is ridicoulous she goes everywhere with me and she follows me everywhere we have a strong bond that no one can ruin she is also very protective of me with other people and other dogs not vicious but she gives a warning bark also one question when she hears other dogs bark or when a car comes close to her when we walk she gets very scared i dont know really how to help her become fearless:D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah thanks for all your responses if i understood correctly someone asked if she had a littler and no she has not as for the lumps on her elbows its due to her sleeping on the tiles because she is so hot we have seen 2 different vets for it one tried draining it and it was not ready so he said leave it for a week and if it starts going down we are ok because if you drain it he said it will fill up again so we are in luck because they are going down thank god otherwise the next step is surgery i have tried so many ways to get her to sleep on her bed and she wont she will only lay on the tiles because its cooler as for her weight i beleive she is maybe a pound or 2 overweight but then again maybe not because she is growing height now she was a bit of a late bloomer and she is on heat during this current weighing and during these photos so in another week we will re way her and she is eating royal canin juniour large dog 2 cups twice a day thats the best food i can get here and all the vets we have seen recomend it even one vet who didnt sell it recomended it but yeah she gets her daily excericise so hopefully she is healthy her energy level is very high so she gets alot of play time and walks i try and do my best with her so if anyone has any advice for me please let me know anything i can do to better my dog because i want her around for a long time the love i have for this dog is ridicoulous she goes everywhere with me and she follows me everywhere we have a strong bond that no one can ruin she is also very protective of me with other people and other dogs not vicious but she gives a warning bark also one question when she hears other dogs bark or when a car comes close to her when we walk she gets very scared i dont know really how to help her become fearless:D

Yes, she does look to have a more male body frame but does look like she could loose 2-3# Her ribs are pretty rounded. Cute girl! Mine flops on the floor too, I thought mny girl was just a weirdo but turns out other dobies do it to... :p

·
Crazy Dobe
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, she does look to have a more male body frame but does look like she could loose 2-3# Her ribs are pretty rounded. Cute girl! Mine flops on the floor too, I thought mny girl was just a weirdo but turns out other dobies do it to... :p
Yeah they just plonk down on their elbows its funny but thanks i also think she is cute :roflmao:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts