Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My question is how old was your pup when he/she would be able to go on longer runs/hikes? I know most say let your dog tell you, but I was wondering how old other dogs are that can handle a long jog and hike.

I want my dobie to be my jogging and hiking partner. He's about to turn 6 months. Since he was 4 months old (when he got his last set of puppy shots), I started taking him on short runs, like half miles, then gradually longer and longer.

I don't push him too hard or make him to go far on my runs or hikes. So far, he's able to go about 3 miles (jogging & walking) pretty well with breaks. At the half way point I'll let him rest a long time too.

When will he be able to handle more? Around a year old or older?
I'm really anxious for the day when I can take him on my 10+ milers.

attached a photo from one of his hikes. :)

Thanks!
ly

Attachments

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Welcome to the forum, He is cute (from behind) :) I don't know if Sam&macksmom intended to be so rude, but in a nicer way, just wait a while until your baby finishes growing. The recommended age is 18 months :)

Reactions: Lycn.chan

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
No forced running until 18 months, but you can certainly hike with him off leash and let him run to his hearts content during the hike or choose to walk. My own boys hiked with me daily since the first day they came home from their breeders. We started out hiking an hour a day, and increased as they got older.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I can only echo what's been said, no forced running (so running with you on a leash so he cannot speed up, slow down, or stop when he wants) until 18 months of age. It's bad on the joints.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Six months is way too young to be going on three mile runs with you. You may be doing serious damage to his joints.

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Yep, I agree with everyone else. he is too young to be running at YOUR pace. I do start bringing my puppies to our off leash romps at about 12-14 weeks but we go at the puppy's pace and slowly build up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Everyone,
Thanks everyone. I didn't know about the growth plates. That's really good info!

He's definitely not running at my pace. We go much, much slower. We go at his pace, which is a lot of stop and go.

Thanks again! ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Luvbirds, your pups are so adorable!
So far, hes not well off leash yet, but he's still learning. I cant wait til he can hike off leash.

No forced running until 18 months, but you can certainly hike with him off leash and let him run to his hearts content during the hike or choose to walk. My own boys hiked with me daily since the first day they came home from their breeders. We started out hiking an hour a day, and increased as they got older.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts