Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a girl and i would like to know at what age should i do hysterectomy for she cant have puppy and also the vets told me i have to do it before his first period. When the first period happen normaly ?

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
A first heat can happen after 6 months of age, typically. Most often they recommend spaying at 6 months or after.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Have you asked your breeder about this? Did you sign a contract that suggest an age range to spay by? Usually a breeder will have a very definite opinion of what age is appropriate to alter your pet.

I personally think its best to let your dog mature before altering, and I would alter between 18 and 24 months.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you asked your breeder about this? Did you sign a contract that suggest an age range to spay by? Usually a breeder will have a very definite opinion of what age is appropriate to alter your pet.

I personally think its best to let your dog mature before altering, and I would alter between 18 and 24 months.
Yip, my contract only allows spaying after the second cycle. I have spoken to many vets about it and everyone says it should happen earlier. Who do you listen to? I can see both sides of the argument.. but like with everything in life - you have to go with what you are feeling is right.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know there are pros and cons to either choice. ... I would like to hear more. Also, is the same for males?

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Yip, my contract only allows spaying after the second cycle. I have spoken to many vets about it and everyone says it should happen earlier. Who do you listen to? I can see both sides of the argument.. but like with everything in life - you have to go with what you are feeling is right.
Your breeder made you sign a contract that only allows you to spay your dog AFTER her second heat cycle? Why on earth would they do that? Did you get a limited registration with her?
I was told by all but one of the breeders I spoke with on limited reg's that the pup was to be spayed prior to the first heat cycle to avoid accidental litters and if I didnt have her spayed prior and she ended up pregnant, if it was another dobe, the pups could not be registered. if it was a mixed breeding obviously they cant be registered anyway. The one that didnt tell me to spay before the 1st heat actually never told me when I could or couldnt, just said she had to be spayed.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I know there are pros and cons to either choice. ... I would like to hear more. Also, is the same for males?
The pros to spaying before the 1st heat cycle is to prevent mammary tumors, ovarian cancer and uterine infection, the cons is said to cause incontinence after spaying if you do it before the 1st heat. Most likely there are some other issues that could be associated with an early spay, though Im unaware of them at this time, I have had all my dogs spayed prior to their first heat and only had to deal with incontinence in my previous dobe and they were never able to say 100% if that was due to her early spay or if it was just because she was getting older and had other health issues (she used to drink ALOT)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
If your vet has MEDICAL OR HEALTH reasons for this, i'd be very interested in hearing them. Mostly, I just believe the very sad theory that vets try to spay/neuter as soon as possible before you can change your mind so they get the paycheck. It's also possible that vets don't trust most owners not to accidentally (or purposely I guess) breed their pet and contribute to pet overpopulation. I don't believe I've ever heard a very good argument for early spay/neuter if the pet is in a responsible home.

I also believe with breeders, their reasons are probably to protect their lines, since most puppy mills would really love to get their hands on the champion lines WE like (none of that "two champions four generations back" crap) and they really have to make sure, in case the worst happens and a dog would change hands, that they couldn't be bred.

But if you have a choice of when to spay or neuter, since I'm still not convinced altering is in the animals best interest at all, I'd at least wait until 18 months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts