Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week, my sister's will be coming to stay with me for 10 days. They told me that they are bringing with them, their female black lab pup named Lupin who is 8 months old and 1 week into her first heat :mad:....My intact (for now....) male dobie Jaxon is 7 months old. I was wondering if he is even mature enough to sire a litter at his young age? Do you think I should find someone to watch him during the time they are here? He is still all puppy, I'm not sure how worried I should be about this situation...... also, I don't know if I could send him away for 10 days!!!!! We have been attached at the hip since i brought him home.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Yes. He can likely sire a litter. If she is in heat and you can't watch them 24/7 she needs to not come. Even of you think yo CAN watch them 24/7 I vote she still can't come over. This just screams BAD IDEA.

Please remember a crate won't work either. Unless its a hard sided crate. and the stress of the entire household... Ugh. The last thing anyone needs is a litter of mixed unplanned puppies. I suggest someone has to go. Or a huge check and apology letter to a rescue in about 9 weeks... ;). Be a responsible doberparent. Think things through.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I wouldn't be too happy about someone bringing a bitch in standing heat to my house. You're a better person than I am, I'd tell them she couldn't stay with me. You're going to get that smell in your house, on your carpets, in your yard...not fair to Jaxon at all.

A 7 month old male absolutely has the ability to sire puppies.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ugh...I had a feeling this was going to be the case.... I just wanted to be sure before I sent my boy away for a week and a half! Although, it will probably be easier for him than it will be for me....

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It's too bad they're rude enough to put you in this situation, it reminds me of the time my grandparents brought their flea ridden dog to our cabin like it was no big deal so ours had to go through treatment.

Sending him away may be unnecessary (unless he has a wonderful second family who would love to have him lol) but I would absolutely crate and rotate while the girl is visiting. Good luck!

Edit: my crate plan would involve a secure crate in a locked room, but that might not work for everyone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't be too happy about someone bringing a bitch in standing heat to my house. You're a better person than I am, I'd tell them she couldn't stay with me. You're going to get that smell in your house, on your carpets, in your yard...not fair to Jaxon at all.

I'm not happy at all!!!!!!!! but since they have already made arrangements with their work a long time in advance for the time off and to drive up here from Pittsburgh, I can't tell them to not come. They told me that they have some sort of diaper, I dunno.... I'll just have to make arrangements for Jaxon....I don't even want him exposed to the stress of the situation. He's still a Baby!!!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
If she stays with you in heat, even if you have Jaxson stay somewhere else, her sent will be all over the house. I would be afraid that when Jaxon comes back, he might start marking the house up. I would tell your sister she is the one that needs to have her dog go somewhere.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts

Yup. Kinda where I was going. No way she would come to my house. Besides having the boy there at the time or not... The scent of a girl in heat even when he gets back, oh boy. And let's hope she can keep from eating her panties or then you are dealing with extra super scent AND blood drops. No way that comes to my house and I DON'T have an intact male. I did 2 heat cycles with my girl, 10 years ago. I'm not a breeder, and will NEVER do that again. The random males who showed up at our door alone...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't even think about the smell lingering in the house until you brought it up....Jaxon is going to freak if he comes home to that...... I really wanted to wait a little longer to neuter him, but then again, I think it's mean to expose him to that if he is never going to mate....

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'm not happy at all!!!!!!!! but since they have already made arrangements with their work a long time in advance for the time off and to drive up here from Pittsburgh, I can't tell them to not come. They told me that they have some sort of diaper, I dunno.... I'll just have to make arrangements for Jaxon....I don't even want him exposed to the stress of the situation. He's still a Baby!!!!
Bitch pants won't stop the smell from being left in your house. Nor will they stop an accidental breeding.

It's INCREDIBLY rude to bring a bitch in heat on a visit. Why should you have to board your dog, let them board theirs.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
IMO, I would ask them to cancel their trip to your place. They can have a stay-cation :)

No way would I allow someone (family or not) to bring their bitch in heat to my house.

Hope it works out.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Why on earth would you board your dog? They need to board their dog. If you aren't good at being forceful with people, just play it off as if you don't really have a choice, you know, "sorry, you're gonna have to board Girly, even with her dog panties the entire house is going to smell like her. I can't have him marking all over the house because of it, and going crazy and trying to run away...". Make something up. Protect your boy. I personally, would be a little more blunt about it. That's just rude.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
IMO, I would ask them to cancel their trip to your place. They can have a stay-cation :)

No way would I allow someone (family or not) to bring their bitch in heat to my house.

Hope it works out.

I agree with this.

It's a shame that they already made work arrangements, etc, as you said, but this is part and parcel of responsible dog ownership--something happens with the dog, you cancel your plans or pay someone else to meet the dog's needs.

I ditto them boarding her someplace VERY responsible, if they do still intend to come to your home.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Why not give your sister the name of a reputable kennel in your area for her to board her dog when she comes. That way she can go and visit her dog as much as she likes while she is here visiting.

This also puts the decision back in her court. Come visit, but the dog has to be boarded.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I would simply explain that they are welcome to come, however, they will need to board their dog. Explain that the scent of their bitch in your home very well might cause Jaxon to start marking in the house.

I know it probably seems like a sticky situation, but you will be the one to suffer the consequences, even if you board Jaxon.

Good Luck!

eta: too late, looks like everybody is thinking along the same lines.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
It's too bad they're rude enough to put you in this situation, it reminds me of the time my grandparents brought their flea ridden dog to our cabin like it was no big deal so ours had to go through treatment.

Sending him away may be unnecessary (unless he has a wonderful second family who would love to have him lol) but I would absolutely crate and rotate while the girl is visiting. Good luck!

Edit: my crate plan would involve a secure crate in a locked room, but that might not work for everyone.

A lovesick male yodeling 24/7 adds that certain je ne said quoi to having guests!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts