Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Dutch
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Does anyone have experience with the canine at-home Allergy Test Kits? I see there are many online and I have no clue which one actually is the best. I'm wanting to test Dutch and see if he has allergies to anything.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,472 Posts
Does he have any symptoms? Your pup is about 6 months old, isn't he? It might be a touch too early to test for allergies--though you can see signs of allergies in a puppy that young, most dogs don't have symptoms until they are between 1 and 3 years old.

·
Registered
Dutch
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is 5 mos. He developed what I think is food related allergies. He had a lot of different treats while visiting people this weekend (I know NOW to bring a bag of my own treats for others to give him). Picture shows area on head. Sometimes they are bumps and sometimes they are not. The pic is with NO bumps. Bumps don't pop. Also has off/on bumps on neck/chest which seem to worsen if it's hot or he is excited. They do not bother him at all.
Grey Metal Fashion accessory Monochrome photography Circle

·
Premium Member
8,531 Posts
are you able to get an appointment with a vet dermatologist. IMO I would not waste money on home kits and then having to figure and find medications. Go see a Vet Derm, they see skin problems on a daily basis. you will get accurate results with the correct medications.

·
Registered
Dutch
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is 5 mos. He developed what I think is food related allergies. He had a lot of different treats while visiting people this weekend (I know NOW to bring a bag of my own treats for others to give him). Picture shows area on head. Sometimes they are bumps and sometimes they are not. The pic is with NO bumps. Bumps don't pop. Also has off/on bumps on neck/chest which seem to worsen if it's hot or he is excited. They do not bother him him

·
Super Moderator
27,472 Posts
Dog skin problems can be difficult to figure out and can be difficult to treat, too. Food allergies are not as common as environmental allergies, but they both pretty much show up as skin problems and itchiness.

I would cut right to the chase and go straight to a canine dermatologist/allergist (skip the regular vet visit). Like dobegal said, they see canine skin problems all of the time, and are also up on treatments that have the most chance of working. They have access to meds you won't be able to get even if you can identify what he is bothered by.

·
Big Lil pup
6,992 Posts
Hi Somer

Puppies your dog's age have immune systems that are still developing. Certain skin issues are extremely common and usually easily treated. Your pup's bumps look a lot like a staph infection. Most of our puppies have had staph at some point in time. Staphylococcus is a bacteria and a simple skin infection is usually treated with an oral antibiotic, sometimes along with a medicated shampoo and/or topical ointment.

I am not a vet, and my internet opinion, via one photo, really doesn't mean much. But one of the last things that I would be looking at, in a 5 month old pup with symptoms like that, would be food allergies. Usually I look for the simplest and most common explanation.

If Dutch has a regular vet visit coming up, I would have your vet put an eye on it. Some vets are schooled in these types of puppy skin issues. If you aren't seeing your vet soon, or if you don't get a definitive answer, then I agree that you should take your boy to a canine dermatologist.

Let us know what you find out

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
27,472 Posts
John's is actually a better answer than mine--somehow I skipped over the possibility of it being puppy staph, maybe because the discussion went straight to allergies right at the beginning.

What I meant about going to a dermatologist is that generally for skin problems, once my routine vet has tried a treatment or two and just seems to be throwing non-specific treatments at it without much success, I head for a dermatologist.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
Except for the fact that as John has already explained, Dobe puppies often have staph infections as puppies because their immune system is slow to mature, I'd agree with going straight to a vet dermatologist/allergist for skin issues.

But the bumps on top of your puppies head look so much like puppy staph I'd say ditto to let your regular vet take a look and if the treatment is antibiotics and a medicated shampoo that could be the end of it--5 months would be really young to see allergies to food.

dobebug

·
Registered
Dutch
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dutch saw his regular vet today. She did not do a skin scrape. She said his collar probably irritated the area and he got an infection. The picture is of his neck, he is laying down. (I know the 1st pic in the thread is of his head). Got some topical foam rx to use. Said if he worsens she will issue an rx. The area is not really bothering him. Fingers crossed this is a one-and-done issue. 🤞🧞‍♂️🍀🔮🧿

I'll update this in a few days with a progress pic..

Grey Road surface Water Whiskers Asphalt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts