Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can tell in these pics his right ear is becoming lazy and leaning over the head to much; I will repost today; I use the backer rod method from this Forum; any advice or pointers to correct the leaning of the ear; his ears look great for a day or so after the post come out then the right ear gets lazy; I try to put the bumpers towards the area of the ears wear the lazy fold is that causes the ear to lean; Is than correct? The last 2 pics are from yesterday before right ear laziness.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am new at multi image posting from photo bucket; sorry this is difficult to scroll to see the images

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
At this stage you shouldn't be leaving his ears down any longer than it takes to clean them and let them dry. It can set your posting back if you leave them down longer.

One other think is to make sure the backer rod is strengthened before you post. You can wrap it in heavier tape (like duct tape) to give it a little extra firmness. Then, you "back wrap" your regular tape (sticky side out), completely covering the post, before you put the post in. Make sure you are stretching the ears up very straight on the post.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this stage you shouldn't be leaving his ears down any longer than it takes to clean them and let them dry. It can set your posting back if you leave them down longer.

One other think is to make sure the backer rod is strengthened before you post. You can wrap it in heavier tape (like duct tape) to give it a little extra firmness. Then, you "back wrap" your regular tape (sticky side out), completely covering the post, before you put the post in. Make sure you are stretching the ears up very straight on the post.
Thanks! I am using the duct tape and the bumpers and the tape stickyside out etc. I am reposting in a few minutes; thanks for your response! I do pull the ears up tight too...:thanx:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What type of Material do you suggest? Cotton Mabye? I have been trying to postion the bumpers that way; made out of backer rod....Thanks for your input..

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Good luck with the pockets! Whiskey has small pockets that I couldn't get rid of no matter what I tried >_< It's a good thing I think it's cute that his ears lean in slightly when he's hyper alert lol

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yes, use a cotton ball to push the pocket, looks like a big dimple, out. Pockets are caused from not pulling the ear up high enough and taping while you still have tension on the ear. When there is slight slack in the tension, the ear will start to lean over the head and create a pocket. Pulling that ear up high enough and taping with tension still there isnt something that is easy to do at first. The natural inclination is to release the tension when you tape. Kind of like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time.:) You have been doing a good job and they are almost done. Get them right back up after cleaning and drying for a month and bet you will be done. Didnt make it to library yesterday, but will today.:) Jake is such a handsome boy! Catch you later.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Keep posting with the bumper method. I wrapped the backer rod 3 times with the duct tape, then back wrapped in zonas tape and tapered the ends a bit to make sure that it fits snuggly in the ear. LindaH is right. You've got to pull the ear up nice and tight.

My boy had a pretty severe pocket (top row) and after just 3 days there was major improvement using the bumper method and stretching those ears (bottom row).

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Those are some really nice pictures of Jake!!!

I am kind of curious as to what mix the little black fiest looking dog is? Ha, bet you don't have any moles or mice running around your property! LOL

The St Bernard looks like a sweet mellow girl.

I like Jake's ears. They are just a little bit wide. If the vet would cut a little more off of the sides and make them a bit longer she could do show crops. I know you probably didn't want a long show crop, but I believe she could do them if someone was there to get her to cut more of the bell off. She has cut the lower part out and rounded the ear around nicely. The side view show a beautiful curve to the ear, just a little wide.

Did you ask for a pet crop? Did she offer a show crop?

I went over your old posts and someone needs to show her how to post the ears like you are doing now. There is no need for all that tape, if she would listen.

It is a very nice pet crop, especially compared to some of the horrendous ones we see here. I think you really lucked out myself to have found her.

Would you mind posting her name and address of her clinic. How old is she??? In other words how long is she going to be in business, I wonder?

Thank you very much for posting all the pictures of Jake and the other ones, too. Looks like you have some nice property for them to run on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay...Housten we have a problem! I took the post out of Jakes ears this evening to try and repost with the cotton balls etc. and stretch the ear up well as suggested; however the right ear had drainage clear on the sports tape and was moist inside the ear with 2 new raw places with a slight odor; the ear canal looks pretty angry.. Is my best bet to just let it air out and keep and eye on it and if not inproving tommorrow a trip to see the MD? Also LindaH the vet did ask me what type of crop I wanted and I wanted a Medium crop; pet crop somewhere between show and military. His name is Dr. Lyons at Mineral Wells Animal clinic in Paris TN; I don't think he normally uses as much tape as he did with Jake ; but Jake was really was an exception in that he was really intent on messing with his ears after surgery; and he had some post op issues with swelling and had to be resutured once; Dr. Lyons didn't charge me anything for taking him back to the OR or for after hours visit etc. He said some dogs due fine and never have any problems and some dogs are bothered by it and try to stratch etc; Jake even had to use an e collar at first which the vet never uses unless has no other choice. Thanks for your help with advice and please let me know what to do about Jakes ear....some of the adhevise that got wet from that clear drainage it balled up and down in the ear canal; not much...I want to clean it out with something but don't want to irritate it in the process; please advise me...Thanks!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LindaH, the little dog is Jasmine our Fiest / Min pin mix; she is a little spit fire....very Dominent, Our St. Bernard is Tessa and she is mellow and very loving; she loves Jake; she enjoys having a companion to run a play with. Jake gets to go out and romp with her in the back yard....He loves her too! His ear isn't nearly as angry after airing out a little...Also his BM's have been normal and the bumps are going away since decreasing the food; 1 1/2 cup twice daily; Thanks so much for all your help with Jake; I appreciate you!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Just saw your post. What size backer rod are you using? He is at the age where you probably should be using 1/2 inch. The smaller size will move around and rub sores or too big will make sores, too. Taper the end that goes into the ear with scissors like a dull pencil. Also try powdering the tapered end of the post lightly before inserting into ear s with BFI powder so it isnt so harsh if it rubs. You can also dust the outside of the ears, fur side, so the tape doesnt pull so much hair out. Did the adhesive come out? You could try tickling his ear to make him shake his head and see if he cant shake it out. Let me know if it is out. The sores can be covered with little pieces of cotton between them and the post if they are not too bad. If one is draining badly, you will have to let it heal enough so it isnt draining before reposting. Let me know whats up. You can go to you Farmers Co Op or feed store and buy Horsemans Dream to put on sores. It is really good stuff to heal sores, chapped hands, etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
May be a few small clusters of adhesive in the canal...5/8 inch is what I have,I will check when I get home..his ear looked way better this morning.Tba powder I use is the one pictured on the tutorial posted by Zepher....

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
How far down are the adhesive bits. If he will hold still for you pretty well, you could use a q tip. You just have to be really careful and not let him jerk his head back. The ear canal, ear drum vears to toward the head and it would actually be hard to reach that far into his ear, but if he jerked you might.

When you wrap the post in duct tape, leave the last 1/2 inch bare. The duct tape should not be that far into the ear. I always wrapped one layer of the zonas/J&J tape around the bottom of the post reaching over the layer of duct tape so it wouldn't rub the ear.

That powder should be okay.

Trim the end of the post like a very dull pencil, one wrap of adhesive tape and maybe he will be okay.

Be sure to let the seeping spot heal before posting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got all adhesive out last night with a q-tip. Looks I may be able to post tonight; I did get some 1/2 in backer rod. I also was leaving 1/2 inch foam at the bottom without dict tape; I wonder if mabe the rods were too big as I was using the 5/8 in. With his bell being wide I may need to really fill in good with cotton balls now that I will decrease the size of the rod to the 1/2 inch; I will play with it and see....Thanks for your help!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts