Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Wow, what a great article - thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
She might as well have been talking about me. Gromit’s battle with cancer at age 13 was short, but at least I spent the last few weeks of his life preparing for it. I held him when the vet put him down, and it was horrible, but I knew he was as comfortable as possible — and that having me there was part of his comfort.

^^^^ quoted from the article / thks. for the article EmilyB:

When Amy's time comes:
And if I have to take her to the vet...she will ride in Dad's 4x4 truck, and I will hold her and ask the vet to come outside to do the final...in the pickup.
- I will hold her in my arms / and take her body for cremation (not ending up in a rendering plant, in a black garbage bag to be blended into kibble)
- my wife will stay at home / she doesn't need to see the remaining moments / it would be to hard for her to see & cope with

I will grieve with my DT friends her, that I know:
Open up a "tribute" thread...and try and share the good times....and take stock of how blessed my family has been, to have cared for Amy.
- a future puppy will be ordered ASAP
I plan to retrain my new dobe, with all the life lessons, love, understanding, fun sauciness and joy...that Amy has taught me very well.
- I know Amy will live on, in a replacement girl / and she will always be the dog that knew me (all to well) and even read my mind...at times
(never truly happy - unless she was near me, touching me, or had her eyes focused on me...and I equally became dependent, on her)

·
Never Will Forget You
3,288 Posts
Ok- This article was what I needed. It validates my grief.

Loosing Niko has been very difficult for me. There are very few people I share this with as I learned early on that "He was just a dog" was the majority of what people thought. They could not understand why a once unstoppable, even-keeled, rational person would suddenly become unglued over a dog, his illness and finally his death. Thank god there are 2 people in my life who accept this and have supported me through it.

Just today, I was talking to a few people at work about him and started crying. I think some people think I'm insane therefore I try to keep my emotions in check. I cry or tear up everyday. I was in love with him and I feel lost. I mourn for him still.

I still have Niko's Pillow in front of the fireplace with an engraved rock given to me by Tuxedojack. I have his toys in his basket and his ashes in a beautiful wood carved box with his picture and a few other important things in my bedroom. I did however just throw out his upstairs pillow as it was pretty nasty considering that is where his nightly seizures occurred. Washing it didn't help. I cried on and off for a few hours after that.

This article proved to me that there is someone else out there that shares so many similarities with me and wrote about it.

Thank you for sharing and for allowing me to once again share my emotions about my Mr. Himmy. I will never get over him..ever.

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
Loosing Niko has been very difficult for me. There are very few people I share this with as I learned early on that "He was just a dog" was the majority of what people thought.
I know that does occur in real life with people who aren't really dog people, but the majority of people here know exactly how it is.

I was at the vet's office tonight to pick up Moxie from surgery, just waiting my turn in the waiting room when a fellow came from one of the rooms, and he was crying. Obviously, he just suffered a loss. Just knowing he had suffered a loss got me to sniffling and blinking back tears because I've been there. He could have lost a cat for all I know - it didn't matter. It was obviously a pet he cared about and was grieving.

So, anyway, share here with those who do know and understand. It might help.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It takes about 5 seconds for me to well up, if even the thought of something happening to my baby boy enters my mind. Reading the article made me cry because I couldn't help but wonder what I would do if my guy died, of any circumstances.

So as I was sitting here a few minutes ago, reading the article, and sniffling at the water faucet of snot trying to pour out of my nose, lol...tears streaming down my face...here comes my baby boy over from the couch behind me, he was sleeping. He puts his front paws on my lap and lifts himself as high up as he can go, then wraps his head around my neck and gives me a hug. His ears are laid back and he is shaking a bit. He licks at my face and presses his muzzle on my shoulder, giving me more hugs. I tell him I love him, and I pull myself together. I give him a few kisses and some ear rubbies. He stares at me for a few seconds...then goes right back over to the couch, back to sleep.

I think my baby boy just came over and consoled me.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
When it came down to having to put my boy down it was the hardest thing I had to go through. My boyfriends was there with me and he was on the brink of death at one point in his life and he said that being there with me was by far the hardest thing he had to do as well. It was worse that almost dying, every once in awhile the topic comes up and it can get really emotional and we both cry.

There are so many times that Odin reminds me of my boy Gabriel, he does so many things that Gabriel did. I have Gabriel's ashes in a really pretty box with his tags on top of it and on top of the tag is angel wings so if you pick them up they jingle. One day I was showing my friend and Odin was in a dead sleep and when he heard the jingle he got up and ran towards me and sat down and just stared at the tags very intently. Didn't look away until I put the tags back in its original spot and once I did he went back and laid down.

Thanks for sharing

Edit: I would have made the pic smaller but it made it hard to read.

·
Registered
319 Posts
She might as well have been talking about me. Gromit’s battle with cancer at age 13 was short, but at least I spent the last few weeks of his life preparing for it. I held him when the vet put him down, and it was horrible, but I knew he was as comfortable as possible — and that having me there was part of his comfort.
The first sentence made me start to tear up and i just about lost it at this point. I laid there as princess took her last breathe, and held her for minutes after balling my eyes out. Even though i'm only 24, i've been through to much for a normal person to handle in a lifetime, and the passing of my beloved Princess, was by far the worst and hardest thing ive ever dealt with. Reading this story brings up a lot of bad memories and sadness but i can look back and say i gave her one hell of a life as she did to me!! Now she lies on my mantle and not a day goes by that i dont think about her.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although the article is about a single person, I think it is still much the same for a couple, at least for me.

I thought I'd take a stab at a little grieving today, after I got something in the mail about a donation made in Swilly's name.

I was going to visit a client who has dogs and likes to chat a bit before we get down to work. So the floodgates opened a bit......

Then as I am winding down, she says "I've never lost a dog. Mine are 2 and 3. Gah.....

So I picked up my wet kleenex and started my work......feeling like an absolute idiot.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy is 11.4 y/o now...her head was shaking like a vibrator (on the end of our bed) when my wife woke up first this morning.
All I could offer her was many kisses and love talk...when I layed my head on the opposite end of the bed, down beside her.

Then I got her off the bed (OK) outside for pee-poo-pee & she was back to normal.
She is making Dad an old man / I balled my eyes ouside, without her seeing me.
Balling my eyes out in the driveway, at 6:30 this morning...talking to my next door neighbor.
Told him, wife and I thought Amy was having a stroke or something.
I said, she will not die in the vets arms...that is my job / neighbor said, he could not be present, to put his own dog down.
Then I said: no different if your kid got run over by a car in front of your house...and police officer sends you into the house, and you miss out on holding your child, in their final breath.

P.S. - Amy and I went to bed earlier than norma, last night...it appears that maybe she was holding her potty break.
- without whining to wake up Mom & Dad...we thought she was having a stroke...dam scarey
- don't know if this makes any sense, only explanation we can come up with

Every night in our bed now, I am telling her "night-night Amy, I love you, Daddy's girly" several times.
I know one day, these exact 6 words will be used, one last time...and I want her remaining seconds, to be full of Dad's love and understand our true respect and happiness in her.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I put this article on my FB page last month. One thing that strikes me, anyone else think his dog had DCM?

Losing my Petey at 4 years 9 months old to f**king DCM has been the worst thing I've been though since losing my dad. I miss him more then any words could explain. Loved him deeper then any other dog in my 5 decades on this planet. Tomorrow is 8 months, and I don't feel any better. Yeah I've accepted it, but I hate that he had to die so young. He was my one and only heart and soul dog, there won't be another. My hubby told me tonight that it's the same for him. Petey was truly special and so loved. My sons also feel the same way. We all feel jipped, just not fair for him to die so young. BUT EVER SO GRATEFUL FOR OUR SHORT TIME TOGETHER, HE FOREVER CHANGED HOW WE SEE ANOTHER LIVING BEING. For us Petey was a human in dogs clothing. None of us have ever been around a dog like him ever before. Our family stories about his antics are priceless. We can sit around and tell Petey stories for hours. My life will never be the same, wish I could have had him for longer. MISS HIM. Hugs to all of you going through the same thing...it just plain sucks. :(

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did think it was DCM right away. You are lucky to have people to tell stories with. I have my husband but he doesn't seem to want to talk about it much.

Some dogs just change our universe.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thank you for passing this along. I've sent it to someone who is going through a similar grieving process over the sudden death of a much-loved dog. The depth of her grief has surprised her, and I'm sure this article will help her feel better about what she has called her "complete inability to cope."

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I did think it was DCM right away. You are lucky to have people to tell stories with. I have my husband but he doesn't seem to want to talk about it much.

Some dogs just change our universe.
I'm sorry you don't have someone there for you. That makes it so much harder. My boys couldn't even mention his name until the last few weeks, they are now men and didn't want to be crying. Now they can laugh and talk about him. They are our family members, what makes other humans value dogs as less then humans? For some people their dogs are their family and friends and the death of their beloved dog is no different then someone else losing a human.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's because the dog is like a child. It is your responsibility. You have to feed them, take care of them medically if needs be, let them outside for potty time. You have to care for them and guide them as you would a child who can't do it for themselves yet.

Plus, if you're someone who has a big heart, it makes it that much harder. All the little sweet and gentle things they do to make your heart melt and give you the memories, to me, are what causes so much grief.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts