Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Darmok is just 3 yrs old, and even though she is maybe 8-10 lbs heavier than 'ideal' weight, my vet has told me before that she looks fine. But for the past week or so, every time she lays down to sleep or even just to take a nap, she limps on her left front shoulder when she first gets up. After walking around for a minute or so, she seems to work the stiffness out, but I have a big concern that she is in pain for even those few minutes. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow, because I have the day off from work, but I just wondered if anyone else's Dobe acts this way after getting up from sleeping? It's not once in a while, it's EVERY time.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took her to the vet--he thinks that is most likely arthritis, although by the time we got there she was walking just fine (figures, doesnt it?) so he gave her a cortizone shot, said it should help her out for the next 3 - 4 weeks, and that I could give her glucosamine/condroitin to help her. He said that the human-type availavble in local Dept stores would be exactly the same thing that would come from him--only cheaper. Dar seemed to already have a lot less pain after waking up this morning. In fact she took off running around like she was a puppy again! I love my vet!!!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Awww, poor girl. I'd definetly keep up the supplements with her. Glad she is feeling a bit better though!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
2dobies
if she comes up lame again like that with no apparent injury, you may want to have the vet take an xray of her spine. Pollo went lame on his right front and the more he walked on it the more it got better. it was hell for him first thing in the morning - he would cry when he put weight on it. when they shot the xray, it was clear he has wobblers. not too bad, but enough to keep an eye on. he got a shot of depo medrol and has been fine since, but we have to use a harness not a collar (he's a puller) and becareful of his back and neck. Dar is a bit young, but it's worth a check.

better safe than sorry.
cc

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Codysmom, I am SO afraid that something awful will happen to Darmok! I almost get to an obsessive point worrying about her, because she is absolutely the BEST dog I have ever had in my entire life, Dobe or any other breed! She is only 3 and I already am dreading the day she dies of old age, you know?? Wobblers hadn't even occurred to me, because I always assumed that it affected their back legs and hips more so than the front shoulders. (shows what I know, huh?)
I took her for tests to see if she was diabetic last summer because she seemed listless and drank gallons of water, but it was just a UTI, which with meds cleared up quickly. I love this dog so much it's unreal! Thanks for the heads up on Wobblers, and believe me, if she gets that limp again, or if it gets worse, she will have X-rays! We are getting ready to leave on vacation tomorrow morning and Dar is going with us, so I wanted to make sure she was ok. Actually, she hasnt limped even after waking up since she got the cortizone shot.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I was wondering if the way Darmok is sleeping is contributing to the stiffness upon waking. I noticed my girl if she sleeps a certain way, she is alittle stiff sometimes. Maybe sleepy funny on that leg...The supplement to keep the joints lubricated is a great idea anyway...Also if she is alittle over weight, I would really try to get the weight off. I would say 8 pounds is close to 10% of their body weight and this might help also.....just some thoughts....

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Just to add to what Kratty said i would also give a cod liver oil capsule daily,i have done this religiously for all my dogs just to lubricate their joints since we had our first dog.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice---I am open to all suggestions as how to keep my baby happy and healthy!

·
Banned
675 Posts
Cod liver oil should only be given in moderation. I'm not sure how much is moderation for a Doberman but I'm sure it can be looked up on the internet. More recommended are fish oil capsules, which I have given to my dogs, altho I never noticed any difference at all in them in the way of coat, soundness or anything else so I quit giving them. They are what Jim Anable recommends on his Storm's Page for coat, specifically blue coats.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
2dobies said:
My Darmok is just 3 yrs old, and even though she is maybe 8-10 lbs heavier than 'ideal' weight, my vet has told me before that she looks fine. But for the past week or so, every time she lays down to sleep or even just to take a nap, she limps on her left front shoulder when she first gets up. After walking around for a minute or so, she seems to work the stiffness out, but I have a big concern that she is in pain for even those few minutes. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow, because I have the day off from work, but I just wondered if anyone else's Dobe acts this way after getting up from sleeping? It's not once in a while, it's EVERY time.
Arthritis is not to common in Dobermans. Although it does happen, my first got it when he was about 6 years old and he was never over weight.

3 seems young to me to have arthritis. I would work on getting that extra weight off. I have had great results dieting Cole by cutting his kibble back and adding salt free green beans for filler. He thinks it's quite a special treat. :)

Cole is also having issues with his right front leg after he runs around in the back yard for awhile. He starts to limp and then I make him rest and when he gets up he is super sore. He's 6 1/2 and is in great shape at 88 lbs.

MY boss, (vet) has looked at it and manipulated his leg and didn't find anything wrong. He wants me to bring Cole in when he is limping, but by the next day he isn't limping.

It puzzles me that it goes away so fast and I htink he is young enough still to be able to run around without it making him limp.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
isnt there another thing that has to do with limping...the limping can be on and off and can change legs...Pano??? Maybe read about that...I believe it is mostly in younger dogs...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
2dobies said:
Took her to the vet--he thinks that is most likely arthritis, although by the time we got there she was walking just fine (figures, doesnt it?) so he gave her a cortizone shot, said it should help her out for the next 3 - 4 weeks, and that I could give her glucosamine/condroitin to help her. He said that the human-type availavble in local Dept stores would be exactly the same thing that would come from him--only cheaper. Dar seemed to already have a lot less pain after waking up this morning. In fact she took off running around like she was a puppy again! I love my vet!!!
I give Spirit a Glucosamine/condroitin pill every day also.. It seems to help with the little stiffness he gets once in a great while..

·
Registered
80 Posts
My bulldog has arthritis pretty bad. My vet has me giving her Ceytl D (for horses) one shot a week. Plus Chondriton everyday.
Helps alot.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
3 seems young to me to have arthritis. .
It's VERY young for arthritis! I'd be getting some xrays done to rule out elbow dysplasia.

If the dog truly has arthritis, you might want to think about putting the dog on Adequan. It's injectable..you start out with giving it to the dog every 3-4 days for a month or so until a baseline amount is in the dog's system, then go to once a month injections. Not cheap-but not only will it make the dog more comfortable, it can also help slow down further joint degradation.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Bandit had joint problems, I put her on Wellness Dog Formula - Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, MSM, and Vitamin C. She has been on it for 5 months now and I have seen a great improvement. Not perfect but much better although she is pretty old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts