Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Art project

3K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  LapDog 
#1 ·
Okay so I am trying to arrange my favorite photos of Duch when she was a little puppy to what she has grown up to look like. This is an art project for advanced Illustration...and we are going to make an accordian series of illustrations that tell a story. I was thinking of drawing/painting each picture using a different medium...watercolors, graphite, colored pencil, ink, acrylic, and anything else or another one repeated...
I only have so much time before the end of the semester...but I could always add to it...It has to be 3-6 illustrations...and so i was thinking about doing 6 which staps me for time already. no more than 6 right now...
Im having trouble narrowing down the photos so I can tell the story the best...help me guys!:)

This is Duchess with her littermates...I think its a good one b.c it shows how tiny she was and she is the only one looking towards the camera...b.c she has the pink ribbon.

My first picture with Duchess even though I didnt know she was the one I was going to get...(we didnt get to pick yet) I can't see her collar but the only way I can trust it is her is from the white spot on her chest! :)

I like this picture because of the paws! I would love to draw this position just to switch up the angles of the series of pictures. but there is so many others that I like with the cup on her head.

I love this picture but I can't choose! lol

this one I think is important that I have because it is the only one I have with the posts on her ears..and to show her stage by stage I think it is important to have.

This is still in the process of taping...but the posts are off for the day...also the look of her face you can still tell she is a puppy just bigger...

Then just ignore this signature pic it kinda gets in the way...there are more pics in the next post

See less See more
#2 ·

this one I think is a good one to show her puppy build that she has still also the comparison to the actual size of a stair...

What she looks like now...(on her 2nd birthday actually)...I have other pics of what she looks like now...but this one is my favorite...even though you cant see her whole body she still has that pose of a mature young dobe..:)

So if you guys can help me pic the ones that will tell the best story...the ones that will be cut will probably be the ones in the beginning with her littermates or me holding her...I also have another one that shows how little and cute she is with natural ears...and the pink collar sitting up with the thing of ribbon in front of her I may do that one...its an actual photo so i dont have it on the computer...but its precious! oh the choices!!! and I have a couple of the cup on the head so i have to choose. :(

#3 ·
I like the one in which you are holding her, it shows how tiny she is comapared to a person.

#5 ·
Oh I love art projects, you will have fun doing this. I wish I could draw and paint.

This is what I would do....
(Click for full size)

Start out with either brown and white, or a really light grey and white sketch and progress to over exaggerated color.

Cool Idea to use Dutchess as she grow's up!

Be sure to show us the finished product! :D

#6 ·
oooo I love how you cropped the first picture...I was iffy about that pic because duchess looks soooo cute...but then I look like I was too much of the picture haha. awesome! I definately like that! I already started the one with her paws so I dont think I can go from faded brown or grey to color, that would be awesome though! Thanks though seeing the pics lined up like that helps alot...and those pics were the ones I was leaning towards too!!! :)

#7 ·
I'll definately show the finished piece. Its a promotional peice that we can fold up since it is accordian style and we can send it to potential clients when your looking for work...but I wont be sending mine anywhere lol :) im not that serious about getting a job like that yet...someday though.

#9 ·
well my parents work at the local community college that i am going to...so I have my associates once this semester is done. the next semester they have a massage therapy program off campus that I wanted to do for some time and be able to do that. I have free school till 24 or 25 so I will be going back after massage for my Illustration certificate...With Illustration and drawing I was planning on doing some free lance work on the side.

#12 ·
No Problem, Glad you like it. That is awesome that you get free school! I would go back and do as much as I can. (Sounds like you are) Never hurts to have a variety! I am almost done with my BS in Aeronautical Science, minor in Aviation Safety and Business Management. But I am starting the Cosmetology Program this fall at the local community college just to have something to fall back on. I figure you can do it anywhere, anytime, and marrying into the military...who knows where we will be and when...aviation jobs....are not as easy to come by.

Good luck with the project :D and with your school.

#13 ·
wow thats some brains and beauty you've got huh? lol :) its good to have something to fall back on. I havent decided on whether once im done with all the school if massage is what I will fall back on or Illustration and free lance jobs to fall back on lol

#17 ·
thanks guys! this one will take the longest...the other ones Im doing all different ways that will be faster like watercolors, colored pencil...etc. its funny cause now that I look at it on the computer with the picture of it right underneath I see things like the pitch of the ribs is a little too high...I probably saw that and fixated on how steap it is and ended up subconciously exagerating it. lol

#22 ·
okay well i have been so busy with some other projects too since the semester is coming to an end...so it is still not finished but coming along...Im just doing them all on one board...they actually are going to get scanned into the computer then printed out on this long paper that can be folded like an accordian(sp). Then will have a hard front and back cover...

The one on the right is watercolors and the bottom one is colored pencil...

#24 ·
painting is much more of a challenge for me!!! lol I try to avoid paint cause of the mess....I have gotten a pretty good hang of watercolors....and the watercolors in my project to me kinda looks like acrylic since it isnt very thin...
thanks! the blue is really really visible in the picture and I usually keep any sort of strong reflections...I have this "put in the dark...and bring out the light" kinda style...and I dont try to ever blend the dark and the light together too much...:)
So many people that I talk to on here are into art too!!! we should have a art gallery!!!! :)

#25 ·
LapDog said:
painting is much more of a challenge for me!!! lol I try to avoid paint cause of the mess....I have gotten a pretty good hang of watercolors....and the watercolors in my project to me kinda looks like acrylic since it isnt very thin...
thanks! the blue is really really visible in the picture and I usually keep any sort of strong reflections...I have this "put in the dark...and bring out the light" kinda style...and I dont try to ever blend the dark and the light together too much...:)
So many people that I talk to on here are into art too!!! we should have a art gallery!!!! :)
sounds like you are developing your own style! I tend to leave alot of my works very textural/unblended too. keep up the good work :cool2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.