Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In February we had a mass removed from Aries mouth that was covering two side teeth on his upper jaw. That mass as been there since we rescued him 2 years ago. The vet did not know what it was so we had it removed and he was able to expose the teeth below. Found out later it was cancer. This vet told us it was unlikely to spread and if it did regrow it would be in the same area.

Yesterday we took Aries to a vet that is a specialist in cancer and found that is not the case. Since the original vet did not remove all the surrounding cancer cells it is more likely to spread throughout. The vet took a chest x-ray which was clean and we are waiting for the thyroid results.

Depending on the thyroid results. The first surgery the vet wants to do is remove more of the flesh along with teeth and some of the bone and see if they can get all of it. The vet quoted me 6,000 for the first surgery with CT scan. (Now I wish I had pet insurance, but every vet we've been to never thought the mass was cancer since it never got any bigger since when we got him)

If the cancer as spread further into his jaw bone then they suggested radiation. Another 8,000.

I am not a fan of doing radiation. It would kill me to see a strong dog lose his strength and be weakened. I want the best life I can give him. I don't know if this surgery is going to help or how much longer I am going to extend his life. I don't want to put him through all of this if its not going to do him good.

I am lost.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,405 Posts
I'm so sorry. Was a biopsy done after the first removal? Do you know what type of cancer you are dealing with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
So sorry to hear this ! Definately ask the vets the hard questions. IF they do all this, what are the chances of it returning? will it cure it or just prolong the inevitable? What will his quality of life be?

I am of the mind, if it will just prolong their lives ( and its not quality, sick from radiation etc etc ) then let them continue until you notice they are doing poorly and then decide to let them go before they are completely helpless.

I hope this is not the case for you, I hope they can get it and be assured that it will be all taken away.
 

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Joined
·
26,301 Posts
I guess I think of it like this: dogs don't have a sense of the future in terms of illness and death--they don't think about it or fear it as we often do.

Any particular treatment has pain and discomfort associated with it. The dog will be living with the side effects of that treatment from day to day without the kind of hope feelings we develop that help us make decisions about our own treatment. He just deals with the present as it is.

So I think about the immediate cost and the ultimate benefits. If, realistically speaking, a treatment will only buy time but not good health, to me it is easier to let the dog go when he reaches the point where his discomfort outweighs his enjoyment of life. If a treatment has a chance of a cure, or an extended period of decent health, then it's time to weigh the likelihood of that outcome with other possibilities--a difficult choice.

It's tough--I'm sorry you guys must deal with this. Stay close; we'll be thinking of you.
 

·
#1 Stunner
Joined
·
464 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. :( melbrod makes an excellent point about a dog's sense of future, I wish that I'd thought to put it that way to clients struggling with seriously ill pets during my years in veterinary medicine. No one could fault you no matter what course of action you decide to take - either way, it will obviously come from a place of love and care, and Aries will feel his family's love for the rest of his days. I'm sorry that you have to make a decision like this, there's not much harder than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,604 Posts
I'm so sorry, I hope his cancer hasn't spread. Hugs to you and Aries.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bernardin33

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
So sorry about Your dog. We had a similar situation. We removed a growth on her lip and the vet said it was "100%" removed. Within a few months, the lump on her lip returned, as well as a large growth on her thyroid. It's a terrible decision. My girl was almost 12 and we chose not to do radiation on her. The lump grew and grew and my stubborn girl still insisted on playing fetch and swimming as often as she could. Her stubbornness was so much that she would only get up when I asked her to "walk". Not "potty" not "outside" only "walk"". She had a great life and I didn't want to put her through more discomfort than she already had. If they could have removed the lymph node when it was very small, I may have tried that, but her lip tumor came back so fast that even removal would have most likely be a temporary fix.
Ultimately, just think what your dog would tolerate and what you will have no regrets about down the road.
I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Your decision will be the right one, whatever it may be.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,030 Posts
I remember reading a article in Dog Fancy some years ago about a dog with mouth cancer and the person would put this herbal Chinese type black stuff on the dogs mouth seemed to help a great deal. I think this owner was quite well off seemed like he had a jet he had used to fly the dog around for different treatments before they found this Chinese herbal stuff. You might write to Dog Fancy and see if they remember the article. Rays and Hugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to write back and thank everyone for the prayers and thoughts. Wife and I took Aries on a long hike yesterday. (Will post pictures of the happy dog later.) Got the results back from the vet (2 days later then they said they would call :mad:). They did not see anything in his thyroid which is a good thing.

Now is just time for a decision on if we do the first surgery and remove more of the area including some bone. The cancer is of connective issue so they would have to take out some of the bone to make sure they get it all. My thinking is perhaps doing the CT scan and seeing what the chances of them getting all of it. I don't want to put Aries through surgery if its not going to get all of it. I know they vet can't say 100% they can remove it all but I would like the know the chances.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top