Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Merrick canned isn't working for Zeus now (and it was my miracle worker for a while). Cooked chicken worked for almost 2 days. Now trying to cook it a different way (ate a few bites), even tried cheesey mashed potatoes LOL. At this point I don't care WHAT it is as long as I can get him to eat it!!! Cough is still there but not a ton. We upped the furosemide a little more. Breathing is fairly ok so I'm not sure why isn't starting to eat a little more. Any ideas for something tempting? I'm trying all kinds of good smelly stuff/treats etc and nada. Ideas? You can also email me direct if you want so I can see faster - off to put kids to showers and beds before I go nuts ;)

Michelle (losing her mind and not wanting to lose her dog this week :( )

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
With Wheeler he never lost his appetite but lost a lot of weight. I either boiled chicken with rice, eggs and peanut butter or ground beef with rice, peanut butter and eggs. He would gobble this down but still lost the weight.

Hugs and kisses to Zeus. Hang in there.

Reactions: meekba

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
A nutritionist once recommended sweet things to lure dogs with cardiac problems into eating. They specifically mentioned sugar frosted mini wheats and banana bread. Might be worth a try....

·
Registered
866 Posts
I am so sorry for you and Zues. Try hot dogs, sausage, raw egg? Some uber rare thing he's not had...raw bacon, ice cream?

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Sardines? and tuna? they sometimes worked for Zil when he was anorexic.
bread/crackers was another one that sometimes worked. ...I like the idea of a sweet cake or bread...you can hide extra nutrients in them.

I also took to force feeding when it was really bad. (oatmeal, pasta and chicken porridge).

Would he lick a nutrient gel off your hands?

·
Registered
866 Posts
You do what you have to do to get them to eat. But stuff like hot dogs and sausage should really be kept as a last resort, due to the sodium content..not good for a dog in congestive heart failure.
Fully agree, but if little bits can get the interest in food going it is worth a try. I was not clear in not stating that it was not a food substitute, just an incentive.

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
What about Boost or Ensure type drinks? I'm pretty sure I had the cat equivalent when my 19 year old cat stopped eating a few years ago (sadly she didn't like it) & there must be some for dogs.

Or a decent protein shake powder with beef or chicken broth?
Kate

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Ground green tripe, raw lamb heart, EVO Red Meat kibble (I feed raw, so this was a special treat), cheese (cottage, cream, string, etc.) were the last things my dog would eat.

I know several people who have just opened the fridge and offered a bite of each thing in there... sometimes, what works is inexplicable (pickles!)... sometimes, you'll remember you had some braunschweiger (or whatever) in there that you'd forgotten.

Anything with venison is delicious. Nature's Recipe has a canned venison, as does Harmony Farms (subsidiary of Blue Buffalo, available at some groceries)... or, try a premade raw venison dog food... or, maybe you know a hunter with some left in the freezer.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Try raw. Chicken, Beef, Pork, Venison.... anything and everything. Also try raw yummies such as tongue, brain, tripe... Just make sure whatever you feed is not enhanced and sodium is 80mg or less.

Hugs and prayers for all of you and Zeus.

Reactions: meekba

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man I hate responding on phone, just wiped it out and almost dobe typing it all in lol.

Never thought about sweet stuff. Will grab tomorrow, if doesn't work for him thw 2 legged garbage pails will eat it all. I attempted the.chicken raw today and even piece of french toast (minus syrup) with no response. Only got a few more bites of chix into him after I got 'mean' and told him ENOUGH [email protected]#! Eat Your Food! Not yell but stern lol. He ate a little more anyway. Told him he may be sick but he still knows how to listen to his mommy. Nasty witch I am lol.

I'm going to print lists tomorrow and just start trying each & all. Someine else reminded me of fish (salmon actually) so need ti grab that tomorrow also. Most other stuff I can grab at work tomorrow. He liked the Instinct the other day but on empty belly with too much water he got a little queasy so not sure if was from food or just him that day.

This is why I wanted a Dobe list back. My hubby puts up with my Dobe(s) and always will but he GSD man. He is also not nutrition or sick dog man-that falls to me lol. You guys are awesome and many already know what DCM is about. He has only been around for tail end of one like this and knew one that was sudden death for a very short time so he's not a lot of help/support that way. Thanks again! I'll try this and see what I can get to work!

Ps if there is a lot of typos or weird letters in, I'm sorry. Trying to type on phone lol

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
If you get canned salmon or sardines, rinse off what it's packed in, if it's anything but water and/or has sodium added.

But, yeah, really smelly fishy stuff worked 'til very near the end, with my boy.

And Honeycomb cereal, for some reason. And that was fine by me, anything he wanted.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I fed canned salmon with rice and a variety of steamed veggies for my girl. I also added ground flax. Change up the food every few days to keep up the interest. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My boy is also fighting DCM and eating is a challenge. So far chicken is still doing good and cheese, especially string cheese. Sometimes he'll take cottage cheese or yogurt. Last night he ate some toast with me. It seems if I'm eating it first, he is more likely to think it is awesomeness and at least try a bite of something. There have been two days he refused everything else and I got him 2 plain cheeseburgers and an ice cream cone from McDonalds which he did eat. Good luck with your boy.

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
Sorry to hear that Zeus is not doing so good. We're going through this with our boy too. In the last week we have upped both diuretics Homer is on as his cough has returned. He is really picky with his food so I use vegetables, meat, tuna, mashed potato & pasta to encourage him. There's some great suggestions here as well. I shall be trying some of them myself. :nicejob:
I hope you find something that works for your boy.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Just read the labels on baby food carefully, as a lot of them are flavoured with onion. I used to get the organic baby fruit purees for Zil. The ones in the squeeze packs you can squirt into their mouths. it was the only way I could get antioxidants like blueberries into him.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Jars of baby food (the meat) worked for my girl and I could spoon feed her a jar at a time.

Meds make them feel off and then giving meds on an empty stomach makes them feel worse. Good luck with your boy this week.

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
The canned Trippett brand green tripe is good for them and might appeal to him.

Keeping you guys in my thoughts.

Reactions: meekba and Adara
1 - 20 of 30 Posts