Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His ear have standed on their own for over two weeks now. I took them down after they got wet in a rain and just never got a chance to put them back up… and they haven't fallen down! Yay :)

One ear is a little 'weaker' than the other, and flops more when he runs. But when he is alert, the are perfectly straight. Neither of them flop over completely, the tips are not bent over unless he is running, but they spring back once he stops moving. You know what I mean? Are they supposed to be straight and firm when running?

Should I move the breath right strips? Keep posting normally until firm when running? I'm up for either or - just want them to continue to look good! :D

He turned 5 months on August 9th… so he is still rather young.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I would continue posting until he is through teething, usually around 7 months of age.

BTW we need pictures of your puppers!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured I should post then a bit longer :) will do.

I'll upload pics soon! He has grown so much!

·
Super Moderator
21,880 Posts
Well, I'm the voice of dissent. I'd take a photo of his ears, and I'd leave them down. I'd compare the ears every day to the photo to make sure they are still standing exactly straight (it's easier to compare to a photo, because you don't always notice in real life that they are starting to droop a little). If they show any signs of drooping, put them back up. But...sometimes they are done this early, and working the muscles of the ears and holding them up on their own can be good for the ears.

We were done posting Richter's ears before he was six months old.

I don't think we messed him up :)

·
Premium Member
Mocha
4,032 Posts
Mocha just turned 5 months old, she is currently teething and we are *pretty sure* we are done posting. I think we were done about 4 weeks ago; we left the tape off for 10 days and the ears stood up perfect and then I started imagining that the left one was leaning inward ever so slightly (although my wife didn't see it) so I posted for 5 more days and the tape has been off ever since and the ears are standing fine. But we are watching them and have all the supplies just in case. Here is a pic I took about a few days ago.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aweh, Mocha is so pretty! Her ears look great. Here is Egon last weekend. His ears are fairly straight, but the one leans out a bit. I posted them back up last night just to be safe. Will probably keep them up for another few weeks just to be positive.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
4,032 Posts
Aweh, Mocha is so pretty! Her ears look great. Here is Egon last weekend. His ears are fairly straight, but the one leans out a bit. I posted them back up last night just to be safe. Will probably keep them up for another few weeks just to be positive.

Good looking boy there! You know, I always loved the black Dobies and never really thought about a red until I saw my breeder's red male - I was blown away...that made me decide I wanted a red female (female because we have an older male Shih Tzu).

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
Daisy is a week younger and I think she's pretty much done as well. Sometimes just the tips droop a bit so I am still using 1/2 posts. I have been posting for about 3 days and leaving out for 4-5 days.
Here is a picture from 2 days ago....posts came out that morning:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aweh Daisy is such a doll! Good to know her ears are doing something similar. Btw where did you get that harness?! I love it! I've been trying to find a good one for Egon for when we go hiking or to the lake. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts