Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my husband and I have been kicking around the idea of rescuing a dobe so that our current boy will have a friend and we would be saving a deserving dog. With this idea comes several concerns though:

- what if they dont get along, would putting a male of the same age and size with our boy be a problem if the rescue was said to be well socialized? how did you intergrate a new pack member? Are two males in the same house hold a bad idea to beging with?

- would our dog not want a playmate since he has been alone for two years? or am I projecting too much of a persons thought track on him and should I just accept that odds are he would be wicked excted to have a brother?

- our dobe now has a lot of health issues though somewhat minor (allergies and some form of dermatitis) there is still a cost to his ongoing care, what if this new dog has just as many health issues and we can't afford it? or he could be the most healthy dog ever and if it is just a matter of food and rountine vet care then cost would not really be a concern.

- what if the new dog is more dominant and Ryche is made to be the submissive one (he does seem to be submissive by nature to other dogs like when we go to the park) I would look at it as Ryche was first and the other dog should be submissive to him, but again would Ryche really care and am I treating him too much like a little kid?

I will take any thoughts or advice anyone can give me. We were looking at a young male who is two years old also (red/rust) and he is 74lbs right now and a little thin looking and I would think he would be healthy around low 80's and our current dog Ryche is 2 years old and 82lbs. The rescue's name is Briton and he is located in NC at Doberman Rescue of the Triad so it would be a drive for us to go out there and meet him and pick him up if we were to get approved.

Thanks for listening I just need to talk to people who understand the mind of a dobe to help weigh in.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
So my husband and I have been kicking around the idea of rescuing a dobe so that our current boy will have a friend and we would be saving a deserving dog. With this idea comes several concerns though:

- what if they dont get along, would putting a male of the same age and size with our boy be a problem if the rescue was said to be well socialized? how did you intergrate a new pack member? Are two males in the same house hold a bad idea to beging with?

Same sex aggression is not uncommon in Dobermans. I would play it safe and get a female if you're set on a 2nd dog.

- would our dog not want a playmate since he has been alone for two years? or am I projecting too much of a persons thought track on him and should I just accept that odds are he would be wicked excted to have a brother?

I think you're projecting human thoughts on to your dog. Besides, if you get another dog she will still be your pet. Whether or not they're really play buddies should be secondary to you wanting another dog for yourself.

- our dobe now has a lot of health issues though somewhat minor (allergies and some form of dermatitis) there is still a cost to his ongoing care, what if this new dog has just as many health issues and we can't afford it? or he could be the most healthy dog ever and if it is just a matter of food and rountine vet care then cost would not really be a concern.

If you know you can't afford proper health care for 2 dogs should anything unexpected arise, I would advise against getting a second dog. Part of responsible pet ownership, IMO, is the ability to provide unexpected health care for any and all dogs whether it be a one-time emergency, or a chronic illness in need of treatment.

- what if the new dog is more dominant and Ryche is made to be the submissive one (he does seem to be submissive by nature to other dogs like when we go to the park) I would look at it as Ryche was first and the other dog should be submissive to him, but again would Ryche really care and am I treating him too much like a little kid?

Uh, yeah? So what? If Ryche is submissive to another dog then that's just how he is in those pack dynamics. Why would it bother you for him to be submissive if that's what keeps the peace at home and that's what he's comfortable with?

On second thought, I think if it would bother you for Ryche to be submissive simply because you've had him longer, you probably shouldn't have another dog. Otherwise your ideas could be turned upside down and your feelings could get hurt and you might actually mismanage their interactions and create problems if he were to be submissive and you were to try to force it to work the other way.

I will take any thoughts or advice anyone can give me. We were looking at a young male who is two years old also (red/rust) and he is 74lbs right now and a little thin looking and I would think he would be healthy around low 80's and our current dog Ryche is 2 years old and 82lbs. The rescue's name is Briton and he is located in NC at Doberman Rescue of the Triad so it would be a drive for us to go out there and meet him and pick him up if we were to get approved.

Thanks for listening I just need to talk to people who understand the mind of a dobe to help weigh in.
Just want to reiterate, if you're dead set on getting a 2nd dog, I would definitely narrow my search to female Dobermans since you already have a male in the house. Do a search on same-sex aggression in the breed. It should be a serious consideration.

ETA...I don't mean any of this to come across as snarky or harsh, but I think some people get so wrapped up in their ideas of how they want to see their dogs that they have a hard time treating them like dogs sometimes. My dogs live well and are loved to pieces but I don't put up with any BS between them either. And they both know the rules when it comes to getting an attitude with one another - they both better toe the line. I don't have hurt feelings over one being the bossy bitch and one being the submissive, peacekeeper. I don't take it personally if I have to correct one or both for something, or if they correct each other rightly so and in an appropriate fashion.

Just be honest with yourself about whether or not you could treat Ryche and another Dobe like dogs in need of rules and expectations, or if Ryche is treated and perhaps viewed a bit as your child because the latter could cause problems if you bring another dog into the house.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I agree totally with brw. I would not subject your boy to another male. I've been there and it was great until they tried to kill each other. Depending on the female's personality, she will likely be alpha and that's probably ok. My male is 4 and my girls are 1 and 2+. The girls are alpha but they keep the peace. I also agree on the healthcare. You must be willing to provide good healthcare and be prepared for the inevitable. You might consider a good health plan for both dogs.

You'll want to make sure you have time to spend with each dog, one on one, for yourself.

Good luck to you. Bless you for thinking of rescues. I would suspect your boy would love the company.

(BTW, I love having two. Three dogs are work but two are wonderful for me.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no I dont take any of your response the wrong way at all your comments are more than appreciated. This is really why I wanted to post on here to have someone seperate it out for me and have an unbiased opinion and really force me to think it through and not act on impulse.

We do treat Ryche as our child, not crazy obsessive like some other dog owners I know but I guess I would say he is spoiled when it comes to attention because my husband and I work opposite shifts so someone is always home with him. So perhaps you are right that it would be myself and my husband who would create the problem and not the two dogs. I will say though is he is treated like a dog in most all other ways other than the attention mentioned above.

I was questioning the male on male issue myself but held out hope that if they were well socialized it wouldnt be an issue. But yeah I really dont want to risk it.

I agree with the health care, it is not that we wouldnt be able to provide proper healthcare if or when it was need or even long term care we were doing it for our dog Ryche's skin problems and our ferret with his cancer treatment for the past two years. Our ferret passed two months ago and so with that being said I know that we would be able to do it if needed but just worry about it because it really isnt anyones dream to have a house full of unhealthy pets much like a parent wouldnt want a housefull of unhealthy children, but bottom line is we would do what needed to be done to care for our pets. (hahahaha just ask our dogs routine vet, orthopedic surgeon and dermatologist)

Thanks for the feedback and keep any and all comments coming. And please no worries about offending me I am one of the hardest people to offend, because at the end of the day I know how well my husband and I care for our pets and that is what really matters to me. As evident by our reaching out and researching and getting feedback before just throwing another dog into the mix. :)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have a 4 yr old male and a 5 yr old female. My girl is the alpha in their relationship - she keeps my boy in line.

Now, they are the BEST of buddies and are connected at the hip.

We recently adopted an 11 yr old Min Pin who is just happy to have a home and out of the shelter. She tries to get in with the Dobe Clique but she's just as happy being my lap dog.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rescue dogs are so thankful and loyal!!!

I am in the same situation I have a male and I know he would LOVE a playmate and I despertaly want another one also. As soon as mine is neutured I am definetly rescuing a dobe. :)

Good luck and enjoy your dobe's!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
Don't get another dog "for your dog;" only get another dog if you want one. Limit your search to females, given the same-sex aggression in the breed.

Adding a second dog will certainly change the dynamics in your house. In many ways, having two is awesome. In some ways, it's harder. It's wonderful when they become buddies. It's fun to have two. But it's more expensive, and each dog may get less time with you, or you double the amount of time you spend training, etc. It's harder to find time to spend one-on-one with each of them.

There are benefits and downsides. You just have to decide if it's what you want or not.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
You can socialize til the cows come home, but if it's in their genetics to be predisposed to some levels of dog intolerance you're not going to be able to fix it...only manage. Do not chance it unless you are extremely dog savvy, are potentially prepared for a life of crate and rotate, or giving up the new dog.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I volunteer with the Doberman Rescue of the Triad, if there are any others there that you are interested in, I can give you some first hand insight on the dogs demeanor. DRT is a great rescue, not saying that the other rescues are not. We are devoted to finding forever homes for the dobes, and love everyone that comes through the door.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
By their nature if you have a male / female mix the female is going to be alpha. It is how it is in the wild it is how it is in domesticated packs. Now whilst some folk will tell you they are alpha, fact is, in my opinion, they are not the same kind of alpha we are talking about here. Every pack has an alpha female and an alpha male, now whilst one might imagine they are on an equal footing nothing could be further from the truth. When the female speaks the others including the alpha male sits up and listens. Hence why the female decides when to hunt, where to hunt etc. She is the one who has the pups/cubs, she is the one who dishes out the punishment if any dog steps out of line. This is the natural order of things and your boy if he is being dominated will accept it more readily than you. Yes there are likely to be disagreements but most do not come to a fight no matter how much posturing is done.
As long as your boy is neutered and the girl spayed there shouldnt be any hormone problems entering the equation.

I will reiterate steer clear of getting another male. I live daily with the potential for male on male aggression as I have 3 males in my house. It has erupted on 4 occasions resulting in vet bills and a lot of heartache. It is just not worth the risk and to be honest no decent rescue would allow you to take a male for introduction into a males house, (in my opinion).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks nckissfan I will keep you guys in mind, looks like my husband and I have a lot of thinking to do. I hope Briton finds a good home he looked so full of fun and goofey like our boy Ryche.

Thank you everyone for your insight and experience this forum is a great aide when it comes to all things dobe :D

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
By their nature if you have a male / female mix the female is going to be alpha. It is how it is in the wild it is how it is in domesticated packs. Now whilst some folk will tell you they are alpha, fact is, in my opinion, they are not the same kind of alpha we are talking about here. Every pack has an alpha female and an alpha male, now whilst one might imagine they are on an equal footing nothing could be further from the truth. When the female speaks the others including the alpha male sits up and listens. Hence why the female decides when to hunt, where to hunt etc. She is the one who has the pups/cubs, she is the one who dishes out the punishment if any dog steps out of line. This is the natural order of things and your boy if he is being dominated will accept it more readily than you. Yes there are likely to be disagreements but most do not come to a fight no matter how much posturing is done.
As long as your boy is neutered and the girl spayed there shouldnt be any hormone problems entering the equation.

I will reiterate steer clear of getting another male. I live daily with the potential for male on male aggression as I have 3 males in my house. It has erupted on 4 occasions resulting in vet bills and a lot of heartache. It is just not worth the risk and to be honest no decent rescue would allow you to take a male for introduction into a males house, (in my opinion).
Not to change topics but they have debunked the alpha theory in wild wolf packs.
Wild wolves are actually nuclear families and the "alpha" female and "alpha" males are actually the mother and father of the pack
http://www.4pawsu.com/alphawolf.pdf

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Well, you've gotten the lowdown as far as bringing another male into your family, getting a dog as a 'companion' for your other dog (that's like having a second child so that your first one will have a convenient playmate). The only thing I'd add is that if you do want to rescue a dog, which is commendable, you can have your dog meet some candidates, and see how they get along together, and even do a sleep-over to see if it's a good match. Also, does it have to be a Dobe, because lots of Dobes do really well with another breed or mix without that 'edge'. Have you considered maybe a rescue Greyhound - they love to run and play, but are very mellow in the house. (Just a "for instance")

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah i agree, stay clear of another male.
Normally rescues wont let a male go to a home with another male present.
Thats not saying its never happened but i know from round here anyway that they dont,

Cant express enough tho, only get one if YOU want one. Afterall its u thats putting the hard work in not your Ryche.

Curious, how do u pronounce ryche.. Is it like richie? :D
Good luck stick to the research!
Definitly on the right track with asking questions!

:D

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I really enjoyed this question so much, because my husband and I are currently in the same situation even right down to the work shift part! We got our 2.5 old male Doberman from a breeder and sometime in the future we plan on adding a rescue female to our house. It was really nice reading everyone's responses to this question because I also had some of the same concerns, but I feel much better now.

Reactions: ryche25

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah i agree, stay clear of another male.
Normally rescues wont let a male go to a home with another male present.
Thats not saying its never happened but i know from round here anyway that they dont,

Cant express enough tho, only get one if YOU want one. Afterall its u thats putting the hard work in not your Ryche.

Curious, how do u pronounce ryche.. Is it like richie? :D
Good luck stick to the research!
Definitly on the right track with asking questions!

:D
Yeah I realized how much more work it would be when I was exhausted after work yesterday and I just wanted to relax with Ryche and he had other thoughts so I think we are not ready for another dog but at least we will have some good ideas when it is time to revisit the idea.
Ryche (rike) there is an umlaut over the Y but I don't know how to type that. He is named after my husband favorite band Queensryche.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
I absolutely love having multiple dogs and will never have it any other way, although when I had only one (spoiled rotten girl) to love, it was the best time of my life? She and I were inseparable and it was great. Not sure which I enjoy more but I have too much love, time, and dedication to have only one :)

Reactions: ryche25
1 - 20 of 21 Posts