Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
This space for rent.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Rescue organizations that are so adamant about having your dogs take training classes, the humans sure do seem to lack basic training in manners.

I’ve been looking around lately to adopt a Doberman, but it’s been rare to get a response - much less a nice one. I will say that I’ve had a great experience thus far with DAR&E, but they are the exception to the rule so far in my experience. While surfing the lists of Dobermans up for adoption, I would occasionally inquire further about dogs that I think might work for our home. Most of them just plain don’t respond. Others have told me to read their post – which I already had and my questions were about information they didn’t include. The only other rescue group I’ve received a professional and kind response from was an animal shelter.

But out of all of the rescue groups, this last one (that shall remain unnamed) takes the cake.

On their website, they explain about a dog they found as a stray that had been starving. After reading a detailed description about the dog, my wife and I both decided that this was the dog for us and could be a part of our family – so we applied online. After submitting the application, I get a response that they would not accept it yet because I hadn’t filled out an optional part of the application. (Well if it’s a required part of the application – why the hell did you mark it as “optional”?!) I responded nicely and gave them the info they wanted. After about a week of silence, I emailed them to inform them that I had been approved by DAR&E for adoption. They asked if a home inspection had been done and I told them “yes”. No response after that and a couple weeks pass. I finally call to ask them if everything is ok. They expressed concern that I wouldn’t take care of the dog after I had asked if it had any medical issues. I explained to them that I was more than willing to care for the dog with heartworm preventative meds, etc…but I’m not rich, so I don’t have thousands of dollars lying around to spend on a dog right away if it has some serious medical condition. The conversation ends and a couple more weeks pass with no word from them. I finally email to ask what’s up and they say that they had already dropped my application because of my parents history of not providing heartworm preventative meds to their dogs. I couldn’t believe it. I had no history of my own yet because all of the dogs I had ever been with were when I was a kid. I had no control over what kind of meds my parents gave (or didn’t give) to the dogs (much less had an understanding of what they needed) and I had already explained to the rescue that I was more than willing to provide those meds. This is like getting points on my license for an old speeding violation by my parents while I was in a car seat! I emailed them back explaining what I had already previously explained…again, and now I appear to be receiving the “silent treatment”…again.

Word of advice to all rescue agencies: If someone is nice enough to offer their home to a starving stray dog and is willing to do their best to take care of it, don’t be a jackass to them (even if for some crazy reason you don’t think they’re a good fit).

/RANT

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Sadly, I agree with the OP.

I just spent several frustrating weeks talking to Rescues and Human Societies in Ontario.

I do appreciatte that they are trying to place Dobermans in good homes. I'm not sure if they are working with homes that have Doberman experience. I don't even know if they comprehend that not EVERY family can handle a Dobe. Dogs seem to go quickly so that made me a little leary about their screening process. Personally, I would wait for a return call to find out the dog was already gone.

We did finally adopt - privately. A wonderful family in Port Hope had saved 2 dogs from terrible conditions.
I saw the 'before' pictures.
This family did a great job with his health and also teaching him the basics. They interviewed many families and tuurned them all down. I was very surprised to see this dog was still available after being listed for a month.
Our new boy fits in well with our home and we will be keeping in touch with his foster family.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
I'm sure that was awful and I feel for you but beyond getting offended people too often inherit their family's views on animals.
As an example I can see w/the exception of my husband, his entire family HAAAAAAAaaaates cats, and for no other reason you can tell except that it is an inherited attitude from at least 3 generations ago.

However, they could have avoided all that mess by phrasing questions about what your animal husbandry views are without assuming you are your parents.

Hell if that were the case I wouldn't give myself an animal. Altho in this day and age we know more so we do better.
I LOVED being the one to decide as an adult that my 1st adult dog would be sleeping on the bed with me and going wherever I went and that meant INDOORS.

That rescue must have been burnt and went into overdrive, I can understand that but there always has to be the voice of reason as well, otherwise what good are they doing particularly if the animals stay in kennels for weeks & months.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I don't think a rescue can guarantee the dog won't have major medical problems. If I were adopting out a dog, I'd like to feel assured the new owners were prepared to do whatever was necessary.

Rescuers live and breathe in a horrible world, one I only see glimpses of, and the reputable ones have my major respect.

·
This space for rent.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't think a rescue can guarantee the dog won't have major medical problems.
I never asked for a guarantee, I simply asked if they were aware of anything.

If a situation arises, I will do what I can for my dog. But I will not knowingly walk into a financial disaster.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I think the lack of response is completely undeserved and rude. It's experiences like yours that drive some people away from rescuing and that's a true shame.

I've seen some pretty peeved people that felt they weren't answered in a timely manner, etc. In cases like that, emails were going to spam folders and information wasn't being efficiently exchanged, so please don't give up and keep following up with the other rescues.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Maybe you could volunteer with them!

Sounds like they are overworked, understaffed and someone is on the edge of burn-out if not already there. (I'm not saying they should have been rude, of course not. Sorry to hear you had a poor experience with them there.)

Most of the people in rescue have full time jobs, families and dogs of their own to care for. And they do rescue work because they love dogs, not because they are necessarily the most organized, or good at dealing with people, or responding to emails in a timely manner. ;)

I'm glad you had a good experience with DAR&E at least though - if you'd rather not deal with the unnamed rescue again (or suspect they might not be reputable - it does happen, alas) you could look into volunteering with DAR&E as well!

·
This space for rent.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe you could volunteer with them!
Thanks, but they are too far away to be involved that way. Not to mention, I think I should gain more Doberman experience before I ever consider getting involved in volunteer work.

Reactions: Leliel

·
This space for rent.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen some pretty peeved people that felt they weren't answered in a timely manner, etc. In cases like that, emails were going to spam folders and information wasn't being efficiently exchanged, so please don't give up and keep following up with the other rescues.
I could understand if they lost my email or something like that, but they made it obvious that they just "dropped" my application and left me hanging. It would've taken less than 30 seconds to send an email that said "Your application has been denied", but they weren't even decent enough to do that.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would avoid this particular rescue from now on. Yes, it is their job to determine if someone is prepared to provide proper medical care to the dogs, but it is not their job to determine HOW, in my opinion. There are many ways to try to protect your dog from things like heartworm, fleas, and tick diseases, and those decisions should lie with the owner. For instance, I will never use any chemicals on my dog, and therefore will be using natural repellents for flea and tick control. If a rescue has an issue with that, I'm not going to lie to them, and will be forced to go elsewhere.

Sorry, I am getting off topic. My point is that rescues DO have the responsibility to make sure their dogs are going to wonderful, caring homes, but that rescue sounds like they are going over the line.

Good luck to you- finding a rescue can be a painfully long process. I hope it doesn't take you too long to find your forever Dobe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have gotten a couple of pets from breed specific rescues, and have mixed emotions about the whole process. I do understand not letting everyone who thinks it would be "neat" to rescue have a dog, but some take it a little too far. We have a very good friend who is Captain on the fire department and manager of the ER where we live. He has had a couple of dogs over the 20 years we've known him, and is a very loving, responsible owner who gives them the care and attention they need. He and his wife have passed two FBI background checks when they were adopting their children. They currently don't have a dog, but decided they'd like to have an irish setter. He knows our pets and that we've done the rescue thing so he looked into it. He could not get approved! I do think it is strange that they can be approved to adopt two babies, but not a dog... Sometimes I think this is what keeps puppy mills in business. Unfortunately too many good rescue homes get passed by because of the adoption process. I wish there was a better system, for both sides.

·
Super Moderator
22,008 Posts
In the same way that all breeders are not ethical or responsible, so too all rescues are not ethical and responsible. In my opinion (as someone active in rescue), it is not appropriate to "leave someone hanging" and just stop responding. I feel that people who have taken the time to apply are owed, at the least, a yes or a no.

Please keep in mind, though, as you contact rescues, that everyone who works with them is a volunteer. Most of us have jobs and lives, and pets of our own to care for. It can take a little bit of time to respond. Some rescues are better with phone calls, some with email. I would use both, when you contact them. Just let them know you've also called (or also emailed). I also always recommend people fill out an application first. We get a LOT of emails that are simply things like "is this dog good with kids?" Often, the dog's profile already answers the question. Even if not, it does take a significant amount of time to respond to all of those, especially when 99% of the time people never follow through after that with an application. We certainly give more attention to those people who have actually filled out the application.

I hope you are able to find a rescue (and a rescue dog) for your lifestyle. I will also warn you that there are no guarantees when it comes to health. Certainly it's fine to say you aren't knowingly taking on a dog with major health issues, but please do be prepared for unexpected expense. I would hope you have anticipated those types of things and are prepared for them. My rescue boy, unfortunately, has cost me well over $2K since we adopted him almost a year ago. Mostly unanticipated expenses. However, he's worth every penny.

Reactions: bubsy and astra

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Thanks, but they are too far away to be involved that way. Not to mention, I think I should gain more Doberman experience before I ever consider getting involved in volunteer work.
Actually, the Perfect way to gain more doberman experience would be to volunteer for a rescue.......just a thought

·
This space for rent.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope you are able to find a rescue (and a rescue dog) for your lifestyle. I will also warn you that there are no guarantees when it comes to health. Certainly it's fine to say you aren't knowingly taking on a dog with major health issues, but please do be prepared for unexpected expense. I would hope you have anticipated those types of things and are prepared for them. My rescue boy, unfortunately, has cost me well over $2K since we adopted him almost a year ago. Mostly unanticipated expenses. However, he's worth every penny.
I understand the risk involved with dogs and their health. It's just very hard to make sacrifices right from the get go when you are just getting the dog and haven't established a relationship yet. If/when the time comes that my dog needs serious care, I'm sure I'll find the money some way some how.

·
Super Moderator
22,008 Posts
I understand the risk involved with dogs and their health. It's just very hard to make sacrifices right from the get go when you are just getting the dog and haven't established a relationship yet. If/when the time comes that my dog needs serious care, I'm sure I'll find the money some way some how.
Absolutely. That's what I heard you saying. And there is NOTHING wrong with not wanting to take on a dog with health issues. Sometimes rescues are a little gun-shy, though, so just keep in mind that how you present that to them can be really important. We get some dogs because owners can't/won't spend the money on their health (in addition to all the other reasons), so they might be wary when they hear it, that's all.

Reactions: bubsy and EmilyB
1 - 16 of 16 Posts