Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Dobedad said:
I regularly meet people who "used to have a doberman". It seems to be every other person we run into when we're out with Abby "used to own a doberman". No one ever says why they don't have one now, but everyone "used to own a doberman". At some point in the last couple decades were dobermans one of the most popular breeds??
I get this alot too. I always wonder if the one they had was a dud and that is why they don't have another one.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I believe I will always have a Dobe now that I have had them, I have had cocker spaniels, boxers, miniature schnauzers, and muts, but the Dobe has been the most interesting, in personality all the way around. I stepped into getting a Dobe before I knew anything about them but I don't regret it for a minute, I love mine so much.

I got the "I used to have one" the other day and I asked if they kept it in the house and she said that they did until she got so big and then they put her outside.

I was thinking to myself that I am glad they don't have anymore, these dogs don't need to be outside, I can't imagine putting mine out. They are my shadows.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I also get the "I used to have a Dobe/(s)" often, makes we wonder too. Most of them approach very cautiously, asking if the dogs bite or if they are friendly...

I occassionally see Dobermans at the training clubs and places that we go in the Oklahoma/Texas area. They are not as common as, say Labs and Goldens, but they aren't uncommon by any means. The pets I see usually are byb, there have been quite a few rescues we have encountered too. Like Cheryl, I would say a well bred around here might be harder to locate than in some other breeds.

At the dog shows Doberman entries aren't lacking. Maybe not enough for frequent majors in the immediate area all the time but points are available.

Back yard bred Dobermans can almost always be found in the papers as well. The Doberman rescues have their share of Dobermans in the area too unfortunatly.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I have only seen one in my area. I stopped him to talk and I could not even get near the guy! He said he had all kinds of problems with his dog. He had an intact male that was just over a year and this dog was not friendly at all.
When I left I thought to myself, this dog is in my area and is not a good
ambassador for the breed. Just what I need. :(

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
There aren't too many in my area. I get happy when I do see one though. I me some like the one you described Okie-dobie and that does give the rest a bad rep. I like to take mine out and let people see that they aren't as bad as they are made to see. If I can change one persons mind, I feel so like I made a difference. I had a lady who mistook Harmony when I took her to Petsmart for food. Her two kids came running up to her unasked. "uh lady, you shouldn't let your kids run up to any dog unasked." She said "oh what a cute weimeramer." She said she used to have one. When I told her it was a doby, she pulled her kids back before they could reach her. Out of kindness, she asked it she bit. The kids wanted soooo bad to pet her and she just wanted too. After awhile, she left with a smile on her face. I think she thought differently after that. It just surprised me though.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.