Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Dobedad said:
There's somewhere around 12,000 Dobermans registered in the U.S. (according to the latest publication i read). Spread that all across the U.S. and it leaves a lot of gaps! Whats that about 1 doberman for every 25,000-30,000 people?
Those are just the new AKC registrations issued every year. Many, many puppies that are eligible for AKC registration are never registered, due to their owners not bothering to do so. And there are also all the other "scam" registries out there registering dogs, as well as the litters produced that aren't registered anywhere. So the AKC registration stats provide a very small part of the puzzle.

Yes, the popularity of dobermans has decreased dramatically since the 70's-80's..but there still are way more dobermans produced every year than there are homes for them.

I think well bred dobermans can be hard to find if you live in certain parts of the country, especially rural areas.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
velmadobe said:
I think it really depends on where you live as to what kinds of dogs you will see the most of. Dobermans are not rare where I live, but they are not commen either....thank goodness!
This is really true. I live in a really equine-oriented community in southern CA...actually we have lots of livestock of all kinds here. Due to this, the most common breeds in this particular town are herding breeds-Aussies, ACD's and various crosses of same. But dobermans certainly aren't rare here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.