Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the only person I know with a dobie where I live, are dobies really that hard to find, if so why?

The only thing I can think of is that Dobies need more experienced owners.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think it all depends on where you live. Like I said in another post. They are rare in my town (area). But if I were to go 2hrs into the City. They aren't so rare and I could find a handful of breeder's no problem. But being from a small town (well small I mean 17,000 ppl). They just don't seem to be that popular. Either they are popular and ppl just don't own them. Or ppl are just not into having them because they think they're "dangerous".

I encounter plenty of ppl that clear the sidewalks/paths when they see me coming with Bruno. Even if my 4 and 6yr old are with me. They still feel the need to move. I think mostly why they aren't that popular here is because ppl think they are bad animals. Which is a shame. I do my best to promote good behaviour in the breed. I try my hardest to educate ppl as much as I can ;) If I can change one person's mind, I feel better :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
After I got my boy I noticed that the people across the street had one(actually two at the time) and my neighbors roomate brought one home soon after I did. Seeing as how there are like five houses on my street more than half of us had dobes at one point:haha: Lately I've seen a ton in the pound too. I never used to see them but the last few months there are in there all the time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There's somewhere around 12,000 Dobermans registered in the U.S. (according to the latest publication i read). Spread that all across the U.S. and it leaves a lot of gaps! Whats that about 1 doberman for every 25,000-30,000 people?

In my city of about 350,000 people i've met 5 dobermans (although i'm in canada), that includes mine who i've had for a year and a half.

I would agree that their popularity is down from the past likely because of their reputation but less demand is probably a good thing!

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Dobedad said:
There's somewhere around 12,000 Dobermans registered in the U.S. (according to the latest publication i read). Spread that all across the U.S. and it leaves a lot of gaps! Whats that about 1 doberman for every 25,000-30,000 people?

In my city of about 350,000 people i've met 5 dobermans (although i'm in canada), that includes mine who i've had for a year and a half.

I would agree that their popularity is down from the past likely because of their reputation but less demand is probably a good thing!
Per the March 2006 AKC Gazette: In 2005 there were 11,662 NEW Dobermans registered with the AKC - that of course does not count all the unregistered Dobes or Dobermans registered with organizations like the CKC(Continental Kennel Club NOT to be confused with the Canadian Kennel Club: CKC). That number put them #21 in popularity in the USA. In 2004 there were 11,725 new registrations and they were #22. I think it really depends on where you live as to what kinds of dogs you will see the most of. Dobermans are not rare where I live, but they are not commen either....thank goodness!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Dobedad said:
Those are just the new AKC registrations issued every year. Many, many puppies that are eligible for AKC registration are never registered, due to their owners not bothering to do so. And there are also all the other "scam" registries out there registering dogs, as well as the litters produced that aren't registered anywhere. So the AKC registration stats provide a very small part of the puzzle.

Yes, the popularity of dobermans has decreased dramatically since the 70's-80's..but there still are way more dobermans produced every year than there are homes for them.

I think well bred dobermans can be hard to find if you live in certain parts of the country, especially rural areas.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Dobedad said:

I'm also in Canada (Ontario). Like I said also, in my town of 17,000 I've only seen mine and one other.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
velmadobe said:
I think it really depends on where you live as to what kinds of dogs you will see the most of. Dobermans are not rare where I live, but they are not commen either....thank goodness!
This is really true. I live in a really equine-oriented community in southern CA...actually we have lots of livestock of all kinds here. Due to this, the most common breeds in this particular town are herding breeds-Aussies, ACD's and various crosses of same. But dobermans certainly aren't rare here.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Per the March 2006 AKC Gazette: In 2005 there were 11,662 NEW Dobermans registered with the AKC
Thanks for the correction. 11,662 new registrations seems like a lot of new dobermans every year!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
When we first moved here, I never saw a Dobe, in fact I hadn't seen a Dobe other than Chi until just a month or so ago. Now it seems like I see them every where. I'm really worried about a population boom. There are many people (US military) that love Pits and breed them (to make money) but are getting savvy to the BSL - they're virtually impossible to travel with anymore. I'm concerned that Dobes will take the Pit's place here which will be tradgic.

G

·
crxman321 said:
I think theres lots and lots of dobes here in ohio especially in my area and the surrounding cities.
where in ohio are you from? im from toledo,you dont really see to many around my nieghborhood. my ex's parents had two but other then that i dont see many.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Being known as a "dangerous breed" does effect their numbers. Though I think they are gaining more popularity as more people are exposed to them. My friend got one after getting to know Princess!

I love dobies.......!

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I have met only about six dobies in my area in the last 15 months. I am happy that they are not as popular as they were in the past, because that has contributed to the bad reputation that they have, because of irresponsible owners. I have had many comments from people on the good behavior of my girl and they would think of getting a doberman next. I would caution them that alot of work needs to be done to get them to a good point and I believe this is a big commitment to undertake. They are not like labs or goldens, which is the popular breeds around here. You don't have to be an expert on dobermans to own one, but you must be willing to learn and do what it takes to own one....

·
Registered
275 Posts
I regularly meet people who "used to have a doberman". It seems to be every other person we run into when we're out with Abby "used to own a doberman". No one ever says why they don't have one now, but everyone "used to own a doberman". At some point in the last couple decades were dobermans one of the most popular breeds??

·
Banned
675 Posts
"At some point in the last couple decades were dobermans one of the most popular breeds??"

In the late 70's to 80's Dobermans were number 2 in AKC registrations. Number 1 was the Poodle, and that included all 3 varieties, Standard, Miniature, and Toy. If the Poodle varieties had been counted separately then the Doberman would have been number 1 in AKC registrations.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts