Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm happy I found this forum because I got a ton of questions. I already got about 3 on the top.But anywayssss....How many of your Dobermans swim? And whos don't. If you havn't seen my other post rex will be 1 the 23rd and I was wondering if this is too late to get him to take a dip. Id' love to get him to swim, I heard it's great excersize.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mensa's a swimmer. Mavis would follow me into water, but she wouldn,t go in on her own. Mensa is crazy about water, she spends more time in the water than my two Labradors.

The best way to see if your Dobie is a water dog is to take him somewhere like a lake or the ocean and wade out into the water yourself. Then call Rex. If you make going for a swim something he wants to do, you stand a better chance of him having a positive experience than you would if you force him into the water.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wish we could have started Iris swiming earlier, but what with posting her ears and all ,we finally got her in on her 1st Bday. Not sure how crazy she is about the whole thing but I am slowly getting her used to it. One word of warning....those claws can be murder in the water! I did get her a "doggie life preserver",so I wll try that next time to see if she likes that any better.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I want a pool!!!!!!

Here are some pics of Piper and Rommel at the beach in their life jackets :D

Rommel likes the beach and the lake now, but he does not like the water hose, or being splashed or sprayed with any kind of water....he is "water selective" haha.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That looks like the same exact life jacket I got for Iris! Your dogs look like they are having a blast. Tell me ,do they like the water any better with the jacket? I haven't tried mine on Iris yet but I am hoping it will get her to relax a little in the pool.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Raven is a great swimmer.. she is go graceful that you can't even tell that she is paddling.. Spirit likes the water but bites at it the whole time he is swimming so he drinks half the lake.. Gypsy can't swim a lick.. she paddle so high that you can't even see her . We have not had Iris in the water as of yet.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My Brunster is a water boy as well :D But he's also more of a splasher then anything else. We've never really given him the chance to get into water deep enough to actually swim.

teehee

·
Registered
602 Posts
So is it crazy to be afraid to let your dobie in deep water? Whenever I take Princi to the local river she just likes to splash around but I always get scared when she tries to go further and further in the water, I am afraid to let her off the leash.

Naveen

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
mine enjoy swimming very much and are good swimmers. They took to the water right away as young baby puppies, liking to play in it and stand in it.

Slowly introduce your Dobe to the water and gradually introduce depth, don't force them to do something they are not comfortable with doing as someone said. We used a life jacket for one to make him more comfortable, now he doesn't need it. Mine started out going deeper into the water by a good game of fetch in the water.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
All of the dobermans i have ever owned have been great swimmers,except for the one i really needed to be a swimmer and that was Tia,we took her to a hydrotherapy pool because it puts muscle in all the right places and with her being a showgirl i thought go for it, mwahhh she hated with a passion and used to soak everything and everyone within a ten foot radius of the pool!!
On a foot note she will happily play in lakes and gentle rivers but mainly if she can keep her feet on the bottom.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Count Oscar as a swimmer, but he had to build up confidence slowly (no force) to go into the pool, even just on the steps and in the shallow end where he could keep his feet on the bottom. Now that he's found out how much fun it is in the deep end, I can't keep him out of it. He's the king of the bellyflop!

Sorry, I'd post a pic but the forum won't let me.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Irisesdad said:
That looks like the same exact life jacket I got for Iris! Your dogs look like they are having a blast. Tell me ,do they like the water any better with the jacket? I haven't tried mine on Iris yet but I am hoping it will get her to relax a little in the pool.
Yes! The lifejacket did help, while I was in Texas we took my "water hater" to the lake, went out on the boat,then we let him out close to shore where he could touch, then I got in and swam out deeper, he splashed around on the shore a little and then before I knew it...here comes Rommel......he swam right out to me. I was shocked. I dont think he would have done it without the lifejacket.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
BackInBlack said:
Looks like Doggy Baywatch BIB. Lol. I love this pic.

I'm really jealous. My guys hate water with a passion. Never liked it. If a sprinkler is on, they will walk 10 feet in the other direction to not get a drop on them. I think they are vain though. You know, don't want to mess up the coat. :) If there is a puddle, I might as well lay a coat down for them. They are sun lovers. I have tried everything. I just came to except that they only water play we will get is in the water bowl. Asher like to chomp and splash a mouth full all over me. Thats fine though. We don't have many places to go around here to enjoy the water.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kyra is getting better at it now that she is a year old. Before it was mostly splashing.

I started by throwing her frisbee out a few feet and then slowly increased the distance. Now she will go out forty or fifty feet.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Ilsa is a splasher/wader:

Ronin is the aspiring swimmer of the pair:

(he's the blob on the right)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Well I hope my girl is a swimmer, our house is on the lake and we are always in it!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Aww that is neat Okie, I bet she will be when she see's you in it all the time. I think going to a lake and living by it will make a difference.

When I was little in the third grade we had a little collie mix pup and everytime we let her run in the back yard she would head for the creek, there was a deep section and she would dive in and swim round and round in circles and go down to the bottom and bring rocks up, it was the cutest thing. We couldn't keep her out of it, she loved it.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Dakari, I also had a dog that did that. We have a really great sandy beach so I will start her there first!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts