Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted in dobe related about a little accident this morning and one of the replies got me a little stressed. the poster asked if his behavior has been different lately and
about a week ago guinn's eating habits changed drastically. it went from destroying both meals in seconds and being insanely excited at dinner times to being so so amused that dinner is coming. and when it does get provided to him its completely random what he will do with it. pick at it, eat part of it slowly, not eat any, graze on it during the course of the day, etc. ive put wet food in too, he tries to pick that out and sometimes still doesnt eat. i got a small fresh bag of the dry.

its just all over the place. should i be worried about anything? he acts normal other than this. seems to be going to the bathroom like normal. not bloated, not losing weight.....

searching through old DT forums has me all confused. i see thyroid issue posts and all kinds of other scary stuff.

i can probably get him in the vet tomorrow if needed. opinions????

·
Super Moderator
21,894 Posts
I had the same first thought as Darkevs - is he still intact? If he's neutered and off his food, I would consider a vet visit. He's young for thyroid problems, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. Could be something else, too. For my two, any reluctance to eat would be a HUGE red flag that something's wrong, as they are enthusiastic eaters.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
I have the same question ... is he neutered?

if he's not and you are not a breeder or showing, snip-snip - you both will be happier.

if he is neutered, then have him checked out... the sudden appetite change may indicate something amiss

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I've known Dobers as young as nine months diagnosed with thyroid disorder.

I'd run a *full* panel at the vet's. Even if it's not that, at least you'll have ruled that out, and have a baseline for future reference.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its been two cups in the morning and two cups in the evening for quite some time. we do quite a bit of training sessions both in the house and out in the woods throughout the week, so he gets supplemental feeding through rewards that way as well.

which, i should add, his appetite for beef liver training treats is the same as ever. for whatever that is worth

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If he was mine, I might be tempted to fast him for a day and see if he was only amused by his breakfast, then. When the explosive growth of youth is over, nutrient requirements can reduce dramatically. You may just have a dog who is smart enough to not be a pig! If his behavior is normal and his eliminations are normal and his body condition is maintaining, I am guessing that he may just be getting slightly more food than he needs at this point.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
was just wondering if he is just getting too much food offered to him now.
If he is not growing much right now he may not need as much food.

How is his weight? thin....just right.............heavy......

Hope all goes well at the Vet's.

ps, i just noticed it has been mentioned already about the amount of food needed.

:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he is 83 pounds as of a vet visit for eye drops a week and a half ago. looks great. can feel his ribs easily, but you cant see them. hes real muscley and shiny coat.

FWIW my wife bought some garbage dog food at the grocery store on her way home just to see what happens and he scarfed it down................i dunno. maybe hes a fast food guy. either way, hes at the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sometimes my dobies will do the same thing. They just don't have much interest in their food, but seem fine otherwise. I used to worry when they did it, but it seems to be that sometimes they just aren't that hungry, whether it's because their schedule got messed up that day (one of my dobies has to have a strict routine, otherwise she loses her appetite), or they got less exercise, or whatever. I've had other breeds of dogs do the same thing. If they show zero interest in their food for 2 or more consecutive feedings though, I start to worry and usually get them to the vet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
went to vet. said he is absolute perfect physical health. they did a thorough physical exam, they took blood samples, did rectal exam, and took stool sample. results from tests come back tomorrow.

vets initial thoughts are stomach upset from a variety of different things. which she thoroughly went through different scenarios. bland diet until all results come back. she mentioned that even though i feed him quality food, there might be a particular ingredient in it that is not agreeing with him now, the company might have tweeked their formula for the food and he doesnt want it or makes his stomach upset. etc etc etc. she was very thorough and i learned alot today. she's not my usual vet, but i think i might switch.

someone mentioned a change in routine may have messed him up. there WAS an accidental change in routine. we(me and the dog) both slept in really late one of the mornings before this started and he didnt get his first meal until maybe as late noon. its been at 7a for the past year.

looks like its going to be okay though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Happy to hear everything checked out at the vet! One of my dogs loses her appetite if I don't feed her at the same time everyday. I'm not sure why, but that's just how she is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts