Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was Apollo's first day at school and it was not the total train wreck that I expected it to be. there were about 7 other dogs in class, most small, some young. he was pretty stressed out with the new environment the new dogs and the new people. for most of the class I was walking him around the venue so he could get used to it and relax. the class was wrking on sit (which he can already do by hand command, so I didn't feel too badly about not participating in that part) and down, which is is also very good at.

the instructor is great, she believes in positive reinforcemnt, and has a very nice way with the dogs. Apollo warmed up to her in about a nanosecond. Mostly the instructor was working with the class on keeping the dogs visual attention, but although apollo's visual attention was all over the place, he always had one ear cocked back in my direction, so he kept at least part of his attention on me.

we'll have to see how he does next week. when he is home he is so eager to please and such a quick learner, I am really looking forward to him settling down in class so we can have some fun.

cc

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Good job! coco was impossible in school! He was so scared he refused to do just about everything. And when Duchess was in the same room he would just pull and pull to go over by her. Good Job apollo! Im sure he will be the star pupil and the teachers pet in no time :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we we survived day 2. he didn't cry as much and was actually able to participate more. he is still pretty stressed and won't take food - I even had cheese and beef jerky - but he was a lot better.

cc

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
lol hopefully he is not like Gracie when it comes to cheese;) He will get better time after time :) Sometimes with Coco I use to like to get there a little early and work with him if the training area is available and no dogs are out on the floor yet...I would do some basic things...and he most likely wouldnt be so stressed...and be able to atleast be able to perform the tasks decently and then be able to know what to expect even after all the doggies and people come into the ring. :) Keep up the good work codysmom and Apollo!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts