Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dpca website says don't get a dobe unless you have a fenced in yard. I don't have one but I love to run hike and am very active. Does anyone have a dobe without a fenced in yard?

Also has anyone trained their dog commands in another language? I am seriously considering it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think apartment living with a dobe depends completely on how active you are and how willing you are to excersize in all weather(this should really be an all dog rule). Optimally yards are better but it can be done.
I haven't trained my dog in another language but it definetley can be done. They do not understand what we are saying until we teach them so you just have to teach in that language and consistently use it, if you switch back and forth you'll confuse your dog. Police departments, and people who don't speak english do it all the time.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
We don't have a fenced in yard (backyard yes, only fenced in on three sides), and if we moved to SO's townhome, Niz wouldn't have a yard altogether. I think we'd still do fine, because we lead a pretty active lifestyle. Niz is always hiking, walking, playing at the park, training, or going on little day trips with us in our free time.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Apartment life with 3 big dogs:

They are all tired out most of the time because living in an apartment forces you to get off your butt and take your dogs out, multiple times a day, and you pretty much have to exercise them :) My Dobe grew up in apartments. It's not for everyone, it's a ton of work and can be very frustrating, especially in extreme temps and bad weather..and if you live in the 3rd floor like I have. I'm just a very determined and dedicated dog owner and I love my dogs than most things in this world. IMO, I actually enjoy when apartment dwellers apply to adopt a dog from the rescues I work with. I know that they have to exercise the dog because they have no yard! I also know that since there is no yard, the dog will for sure be living inside as there is no other choice :)

Luckily at the moment I am in a house with a yard, it is definitely much easier.

·
Censored
716 Posts
I raised Doc in an apartment in LA and it WAS NOT EASY... but it worked because my hubby and I are very active. He also went to work with me at a vet clinic so that was a definite perk. Every single day I had to find someway to work him off leash and that was the hardest part. Once he had basic obedience down, we would go to parks and I would throw frisbees and balls for him. He always wore a harness and a long-line just in case he didn't respond to my commands. One time police came over to check us out but they just wanted to see him :)
Since he was so high drive and busy we eventually got into search and rescue training. I also have a friend who has a labrador Doc's same age and a yard. The mornings I didn't work, we would often go over to their house but it was a drive... definitely worth it though. I did take Doc to one dogpark but I also had to drive quite a ways to find one that wasn't over crowded and prone to dogfights because of idiotic owners.
When he was old enough to really enjoy running with me, I knew some trails that we would run/ hike in the Santa Monica Mountains.
But don't count on a dobe being pleased by one routine. If there was anything Doc hated, it was the same boring walk around the block every single day.
We also invested in a lot of toys... he had a huge toy box with all kinds of puzzle dispensing treat toys. If he wasn't insisting that we throw his ball or hold his chewie then he entertained himself with those.
As far as potty training went, my hubby built him a sod-box for our patio when he was just a young little guy. We had to change the sod every 3-5 days depending on Doc... not only did he like to use it, he also liked to grab it, rip it and tear it out of his box... great game -_- I'm not sure what your availability is for grass but we had none for quite a distance. It also helped ease my concerns about using community grass because of parvo.
Also, weather permitting, Doc went for car rides with me almost everywhere I went. Even to the grocery store. He just loved getting out and seeing the world.
I pretty much did everything I could to keep him busy. Best of luck to you :) It can be done!

Doc was also trained in two languages. Initially we taught him only in English but he caught on so fast to my hubby's Hebrew that all his later commands, including search and rescue, were in Hebrew. He responds to either for basic commands... smart boy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love this! The pictures are beautiful! I fully intend on taking my dobe everywhere with me except for school. I won't have it any other way.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dpca website says don't get a dobe unless you have a fenced in yard. I don't have one but I love to run hike and am very active. Does anyone have a dobe without a fenced in yard?

Also has anyone trained their dog commands in another language? I am seriously considering it.
I have a little over an acre and partially fenced yard, my boy has free run of it when supervised otherwise I put him on a line. He get's his runs at my parents they have several acres to play on and probably a hundred other acres we can go on. The 700 acre lake in the backyard became a real favorite after I taught him how to swim. Judging by his incessant crying in the truck on the way over, I think he prefers the space.

I trained my dog in German, he was from Germany so I figured it would just be easier on him to keep it that way. I've since taught him his commands in English. German commands come from me, English commands come from my friends. Needless to say he performs better with the German commands.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I raised my Weimaraner in apartments. If anyone knows a Weim, they know Weims are made of pure energy.

It absolutely takes tons of exercise outside and training to be calm inside.

Be encouraged...it can be done!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
My husband and I have trained Elza basic commands in English as Japanese language has varieties depending on a speaker's gender and situation. When you want her to "Sit", some might say Suware (it's an official command, sounds harsh) or Osuwari. Now she understands both languages in any terms, bilingual(LOL).

I also know some Japanese dog trainers for GSD use German.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it's a huge commitment with or without a yard. I have a small fenced yard, maybe 30' by 50'. Tank goofs around out there and goes to the bathroom. It's nothing close to the daily exercise he needs. If he cant get out at least an hour a day to run, plus a walk thrown in, look out! He's like a spoiled child in the house, getting into everything he knows is off limits. Whats important is meeting the needs of your dog, with or without a yard.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I live in an apartment with my 11 week old dobe and it's a lot of work but if you are really dedicated to excersising them properly and don't mind not being able to just let them out to go potty then you'll be fine. We're lucky cause we live on a ground floor so it helps a lot but it can be done. Their a lot of energy but as long as you are willing to devote a lot of time to them and train them properly it can be done. Diesel is such a happy pup living in an apartment although im ready to have more space :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I lived in an apartment on a ground floor apartment, 35 years ago / no fensed in yard.
It wasn't the apartment that was the problem, the building owner/investor hated dobes.

With our current dobe, we live on a dead-end street and our property is fenced on 3 back sides only.
Since I train off-leash verbal control, starting on our 8 week old puppy...a fenced property, is not essential for us.
In fact, a completely fenced yard, is not the enviroment...I want to train in.
I am at the top of my training game and supervision, with openness & a very small degree of risk present.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
having lived in apartments - without a dobe/dog/pet - and now having a dobe.. I cannot imagine raising said dobe in an apartment. I suppose it depends on one's lifestyle. But the simple things like morning pee-pee, stretch breaks... in an apartment, you have to leash the dog up and take him/her out, every time. With a fenced yard, albeit a tiny one, I can't imagine life not being able to throw open the back slider door and let him out and go drink my coffee while he does his thing.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
My husband and I just moved from our home with large fenced yard to a townhouse in a college town :/ Ammo absolutely loves to run and make an "Ammo racetrack" . He has adjusted very well, but only because we take him on multiple walks a day and to the dog park every other day. There is also an area over to the side of our apartment where we let him off leash late at night and he runs his heart out!

Just be dedicated to your dog and dont get lazy on him, he needs exercise:)

Reactions: caitegrace

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
I personally wouldn't want to housetrain a puppy in an apartment. So many times you need to get them outside *now* and it's much tougher when you have to leash them. We did not have a fence in our yard for Shanoa's first year, and I won't ever do a pup without a fenced yard again. It's just tough. Like many have said, it can be done, but you have to be really, really dedicated.

My dogs also really like to just "hang out" with me in the yard on nice days. I garden, or read a book, or whatever and they just find a nice spot or they wander around and sniff, just relaxing. I would miss that without a yard.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I live on the 7th floor of a high rise apartment.

Like everyone else is saying, it's really a lot of work due to not being able to open a door and letting them play in a fenced in yard.

In my apartment, A LOT of people are afraid of Lexi (perhaps dogs in general). I had to train her proper manners in the elevator when a bunch of people were in there...often she would try to jump up on people or sniff them and not everyone appreciates that.

Not only that but the barking has to be kept at a minimum.

I've lived in a couple apartments now and from my experience, people throw things over their balconies that I have to be aware about, otherwise during walks Lexi could pick up a chicken bone that some idiot threw over his balcony because finding his garbage can was to difficult.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
My dogs also really like to just "hang out" with me in the yard on nice days. I garden, or read a book, or whatever and they just find a nice spot or they wander around and sniff, just relaxing. I would miss that without a yard.

That is one thing that really kills me about apartment living with dogs. I think that's great bonding and relaxing times you can share with your dogs that you just miss out on in an apartment.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
To solve issues w/apartment living...ground floor, makes life 10x easier.
- I did it for a year (35 years ago) / most ideal NO, can it work YES
Best think, is to take all the OB classes you can (beginner/interm./advanced)...in the first year...and learn much, to control with canine manner.
- otherwise, there will be rental problems, from a misbehaved dobe, growing up / need to dedicate yourself, to making it work, or failure is around the corner
Devoted owners can do anything, others can't !!

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
I'm doing the housebreaking in an apartment thing right now (I think we're done but don't want to jinx it!). I'm not sure it's something I'd do again. I think it takes much longer than it would in a house. When you first get a young pup, it needs to potty inside as the vaccinations are not complete, and then suddenly inside is no longer OK. I know that would confuse the heck out of me. I also don't like my puppy doing stairs right now, but he has to in the morning when he's just not able to hold it while we wait for the elevator.

We're down to a walk every four hours now (during the day, he can go nine hours overnight), but occassionally he'll give me "that look" and we need to make a mad dash for the door. Gone are the days of lounging around naked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts