Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She needs her meds twice a day...she will NOT take it mixed with applesauce, bananas, flavored yogurt, baby food of any flavor that I’ve tried.....

So I’m left with syringing it in. (and treating with cheese afterwards :) ) Any advice?

Cw9cCb3LUB8 (That’s my son filming and talking :))

·
Super Moderator
24,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peanut butter is supposed to have the possibility of a a choking hazard--but I hadn’t thought of bacon grease. Hmmm.....

·
am the law
986 Posts
Is it Flagyl? That stuff is so nasty! Baytril and other less-offensive meds we always squirted onto a bit of bread and spread a thin layer of jam on top. Worked like a charm. Your syringe technique looks good!

·
Super Moderator
24,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Two antibiotics--one twice a day and one once a day--let me think--Enrofloxacin and Doxycycline. Both flavored--she liked them the first time, but they must have a nasty aftertaste or something because that was the only time she was interested and not actively avoiding them.

·
am the law
986 Posts
Two antibiotics--one twice a day and one once a day--let me think--Enrofloxacin and Doxycycline. Both flavored--she liked them the first time, but they must have a nasty aftertaste or something because that was the only time she was interested and not actively avoiding them.
Ah, that makes sense. They are too smart sometimes!

·
Super Moderator
24,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nope...doesn’t like Strawberry jam anymore. But I do have apple and grape jelly around, as well as fig preserves So that might get us through another couple of days *sigh*

·
Registered
53 Posts
My German Shepherd is extremely opposed to taking medicine, so I've tried multiple things. For awhile Pill Pockets worked. They sell them at pet stores. They are expensive but I actually split them in half and they still worked. They smell super strong so he didn't realize the pill was in there.

What has worked the best is ice cream. I stuff the pill in a small bit of ice cream and he takes it like a champ.

I also tried stuffing it in a small piece of hot dog, but he wouldn't fall for that one.

·
Registered
Jalyn Live in the Moment ‘Helo Agathon’ Harper x Godric DOB 3/4/2019
7,577 Posts
No suggestions Mel, but your rat is adorable.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Super Moderator
24,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Cream cheese?

My other standby is kool aid powder, the birds love cherry. They look like they have murdered someone with their beaks when they need meds lol.
Haven’t thought of cream cheese. Hmm... She does like apricot jelly though she’s going to get very fat, I’m afraid

No suggestions Mel, but your rat is adorable.
She is; here’s all of them in an old picture (though we lost the one on top of the rock to a lung abscess--she was getting older and rats have such delicate lungs-- and such a short life *sigh*)

and some old footage:
Nothing much stops a rat with an agenda
0uhcNAG0520

1 - 14 of 14 Posts