Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking out kikopup's youtube stuff and Dakota and I have been having lots of fun with this. I have been using Zuke's treats, little Biljacs, hot dog bits, and cheddar cheese bits for treats. However, in a few weeks I am switching both dogs over to a raw diet. I know in the beginning they say to avoid treats like what I have been using, so I am guessing I would need to use little tiny bits of raw meat. While they will qualify as high value treats I am sure, I am wondering how this is going to work. I don't want to be spreading bacteria all over. Anyone else done this before and found a good solution?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Nope :) I feed raw and I'm willing to be to go to certain lengths to feed it, but that's not one of them. There isn't anything wrong with it. But I use cooked chicken, string cheese, even gasp hot dogs on occasion, gluten free treats, tuna brownies, liver brownies, natural balance rolls.

Reactions: vivienne00

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I find raw meat difficult to work with, it's hard to cut up into really little pieces, and hard to rip into little pieces too, so I would accidentally end up giving pieces that are too big out of laziness :p I think you could probably use it as a jackpot in training though, a nice big hunk of meat if your dog is into it would be pretty impressive to them too!

Regarding bacteria, I am pretty slack about that sort of hygiene, just chop it up on a meat-only chopping board, don't touch other stuff while you are training and wash up properly when you are done (including wash anything you handled while training e.g. clickers, targets). Could be useful if you are training at home to put the treats in a bowl instead of making your pockets or bait bag smelly :) Mix up where the treats come from though, so your dog doesn't get wise to bait bags, pockets or bowls!

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
I feed raw but use chicken breasts cooked with garlic for the kelpie and sliced cooked liver for the dobes. Sometimes cheese but not often - more of a trial only jackpot (and a song "cheese cheese cheese" to go with it).

I also use Yummy Chummies and Laske Kronch fish based packet treats.

The liver and the chicken will break easily into small sections - provided with the chicken that you slice across the grain once it is cooked and before you bag and freeze it in training session sized portions.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Vader gets zuke's broken in half. String cheese. And freeze dried turkey or bison training treats - bravo makes them. I like them. He does too. He is raw fed and I haven't had a problem feeding any treats.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was planning on going back to easier training treats after we transition, but had read a warning not to let them have any treats during the initial transition onto raw, as it could cause stomach upset. We train everyday, and I don't want to take a break for any period of time. I might try the idea of the cooked chicken, would be closest to the chicken backs we are using during the first week of raw. Thanks for all the feedback and tips. I got A LOT of ideas for training treats so I can really keep it mixed up!
Adara: could I get the recipe for tuna brownies? They sound very motivating!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I was planning on going back to easier training treats after we transition, but had read a warning not to let them have any treats during the initial transition onto raw, as it could cause stomach upset.
I've been feeding raw for a dozen years, have been on all kinds of raw lists, have read all kinds of raw (and general nutrition) books... and, I have never seen this particular warning given. I am curious where you read this, and I would also suggest you disregard it entirely. When did dogs - who for almost all of their domesticated lives have lived on refuse and scraps and hunted meat and carrion and all manner of disgusting-to-humans things - become so delicate?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I might try the idea of the cooked chicken, would be closest to the chicken backs we are using during the first week of raw.
Starting on chicken's fine, but chicken backs tend to not be ideal... too much bone, not a lot of meat, sometimes huge fatty globs and sometimes not enough fat, only little scraps of organ tissue. Why don't you get some leg quarters (often a perfect size for a meal) or whole birds and whack them into meal-sized portions?

·
Registered
732 Posts
never used raw meat or any treat for training actually. O gotta say for raw feeding, a fryer chicken fed seems more appropriate than just chicken backs though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am following a guide for prey model feeding. Feed chicken backs exclusively the first two days, just to help firm stools, then add in chicken quarters every other meal. Alternate chicken backs and chicken quarters until 7 days of firm stools. It is to prevent cannon butt :) Then add in turkey next....etc.... I bought chicken backs through our local raw co-op to get started. I had read the warning about not using cooked treats on a raw feeding forum. I am going to try using cooked treats for training anyways, don't really see the raw thing as reasonable right now.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I feed raw. I have only used raw for training at home. :) Doesnt matter the sink is right there. LOL I did that using some of Kyrah's meal for the weave poles. But for her training treats I have never heard such a thing either. I did hear that if your dog is not eating the raw take away all treats until a meal is eaten. I use boiled meats cut into small pieces, pup a roni, and a couple times a week they may get some milk bone dog biscuts.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I had read the warning about not using cooked treats on a raw feeding forum.
Hmmmm... I bet I know where you've been reading, and it sounds like they are even loonier than when they threw me off for using the "V" word LOL!

For what it's worth, I have transitioned a few dogs to raw and am on a large list which includes a fair number of folks who do rescue (so, lots of new-to-raw dogs). In general, this is how the transition to raw is accomplished: "Welcome to your new life! Eat!" Many have found that it pays to avoid very fatty things initially and to introduce liver in moderation, but in general the vast majority of dogs have no issue at all with jumping right in to a full menu.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm... I bet I know where you've been reading, and it sounds like they are even loonier than when they threw me off for using the "V" word LOL!

For what it's worth, I have transitioned a few dogs to raw and am on a large list which includes a fair number of folks who do rescue (so, lots of new-to-raw dogs). In general, this is how the transition to raw is accomplished: "Welcome to your new life! Eat!" Many have found that it pays to avoid very fatty things initially and to introduce liver in moderation, but in general the vast majority of dogs have no issue at all with jumping right in to a full menu.
I missed something, what is the V word?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts