Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
miko said:
Either of these two breeders? They both have wonderful dogs and I am trying to decide...

Caleb Dobermans - Laura Jones
http://www.calebdobe.com/

Rhapsody Dobermans - Irina Sasu
http://www.rhapsodydobes.com/

Thanks!

Maria
I think that they are both good breeders, but totally different geographic areas. Irina is in Texas, and Laura Jones is not far from me in PA. What are you looking for in a Doberman?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I agree that although both of them are relative newcomers to breeding Dobermans they both seem to be doing a good job and managing to breed pretty nice quality.

One of the things I like about Irina/Rhapsody is that she also puts performance titles on her dogs--so she doesn't have to claim that her dogs could work if she wanted to bother--she takes the time and trouble to prove it.

Even though I personally believe that if you are so inclined virtually any Doberman can be trained to do whatever it is you want to do with them it's always a plus to me to see a breeder whose dogs are out proving that they are not just "another pretty face".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy, folks! Here's a thought - Instead of asking folks here on a forum what they think about breeders why not call the breeder and ask for references from their vet and folks who've bought one of their puppies? Seems like you'd get a more accurate and useful account. Even DPCA suggests this - they don't say nothing about asking about breeders on a forum. I've been visiting this site as a guest a little while and notice from time to time a few of ya'll sorta trash breeders based only on your skimming through their website. I think if you have personal information, well, that may be helpful but what I'm mostly seeing here are quotes (and sometimes misquotes) taken from their websites. Just seems more reasonable if a person has a question about a particular breeder they'd be better served talking directly with the breeder and, as I say, asking for references from the breeder. And before you jump on me with all fours - I know, I know, ya'll have a right to exchange your opinions about things. All's I'm saying is if a person was really interested in accurate information and not just spreading a little manure about, why, just seems like you'd go right to the source. Ya'll have a good day now, hear?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah I get what your saying...but I also think a website is a rather important advertisement for any "business"...you want it to be accurate and be able to promote yourself the best you can...I think if a breeders website isnt what it should be...then I think people definately have the right to make assumptions....and make judgments off of it. Duchess's breeder doesnt even have a website for breeding sake....only her training facility...and she doesnt even mention litters on there.
again I would definately not consider breeding a business that is why I put it in quotes...but if your going to promote yourself on the internet...you have to expect that reaction if it isnt up to expectations of people experienced and familiar with the breed

·
Registered
521 Posts
I Agree LapDog

Hero's breeder doesn't have a wesite either. But alot of people know her. But from now on I'm going to PM members for there opinions.
LapDog said:
yeah I get what your saying...but I also think a website is a rather important advertisement for any "business"...you want it to be accurate and be able to promote yourself the best you can...I think if a breeders website isnt what it should be...then I think people definately have the right to make assumptions....and make judgments off of it. Duchess's breeder doesnt even have a website for breeding sake....only her training facility...and she doesnt even mention litters on there.
again I would definately not consider breeding a business that is why I put it in quotes...but if your going to promote yourself on the internet...you have to expect that reaction if it isnt up to expectations of people experienced and familiar with the breed

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well Doberguy while that is a grand idea, I am assuming the people who ask about certain breeders are new to the breed. Alot of people on this board know who is who in the Dobe world. They know the dogs they know the breeders they know the lines they know more than the breeder is going to tell you. People can come across as very trusting on the phone to someone who may not know any better. And while just visiting a web site is not the only research you should do asking around can get you alot of great information too. There are certain tale-tale signs on website that some Dobe people are keen to and tell you to stay away from as well !!!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
PeeWeesMama said:
Well Doberguy while that is a grand idea, I am assuming the people who ask about certain breeders are new to the breed. Alot of people on this board know who is who in the Dobe world. They know the dogs they know the breeders they know the lines they know more than the breeder is going to tell you. People can come across as very trusting on the phone to someone who may not know any better. And while just visiting a web site is not the only research you should do asking around can get you alot of great information too. There are certain tale-tale signs on website that some Dobe people are keen to and tell you to stay away from as well !!!
Excellent points!

Just wanted to add that discussing what we might find questionable about a specific website also serves to educate newbies on how to read between the lines on any website.

If you can discover little to no health testing has been done by the information found on a website, then, IMO, there's no point in a prospective buyer even pursuing that particular breeder any further...they've already failed the first layer of screening, and it would be a waste to time to continue.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
miko said:
Rhapsody Dobermans - Irina Sasu
http://www.rhapsodydobes.com/
I have met her and her dogs, she is a very nice person. I also like her dogs.

Irina is very involved in the Doberman world and is a good person to contact period if you are searching for a quality puppy. She can help you in your search for a puppy - she is the DPCA breeder referral person.

I think she is a good choice for a puppy buyer, as she titles on both sides, health tests, trains, focuses on temperament, health, and proper conformation and her Dobes are her personal companions and live in the house with her.

She could help you in your search, the more specifics you give her, the more she can help match you up with your idea of your perfect puppy. Even if she doesn't have puppies at the moment, you should still drop her an e-mail or give her a call.
Good luck on your search

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
doberguy said:
why not call the breeder and ask for references from the vet and folks who've bought one of their puppies? ?
Those are excellent points peewee’s mom and murreydobe and very true. The sharing of basic breeder information and certain breeders is important and can help others quickly identify lies and clever marketing as well as honest and quality breeders.
Some breeders are very slick and can talk a good game and take advantage of unknowing puppy buyers.

When breeders give references, well of course, they are only going to give you the best they have and only those who are satisfied. I have noticed when you look at most websites that have references they are puppies, some only 8 weeks old. That is not really an accurate reference at all. Many problems don’t even show up until much later. Relying only on that incomplete snapshot the breeder wants you to see can be problematic.

Also, just b/c a person takes their animals to the vet for regular care doesn't mean they are reputable breeders.
A vet reference can only tell you so much, combine that with specific health test results of both parents, the titles (CH. and performance titles) on both parents (in the US Int' CH isn't that hard, while AKC CH. is and does really say something about quality), temperament tests like CGC, WAC, TT, etc., and a broad look at their overall reputation, experience level, and their involvement in their breed specific and training clubs (how much time do they spend getting to KNOW their breed, how much do they know about pedigrees and the specific lines they are breeding, why are they breeding, how involved are they in dog clubs - at the local level as well as DPCA membership- and how much quality time do they spend with their dogs at home, in training,etc, is a start to some basic questions that need to be answered), as well as meeting in person with other past puppy buyers whose dogs are grown so you can visit with the actual dogs the breeder is producing, spending time at the breeders to see how the dogs live and are taken care of, can give you a much more accurate idea of what type of breeder you are dealing with...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts