Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wopet and I love it. I love being able to see what he is doing while I'm at work. And I can give him treats. The only downside is seeing him fuss sometimes like below. But usually he just sleeps on the bed. Anyone else have pictures ?
Picture frame Dog Property Dog breed Interior design

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't use a "pet cam" per say. I have several security cameras throughout my house that I can use to talk back to my dogs and see what they are up to while I'm work. Typically, its them sleeping or lounging on the deck. Occasionally, I'll catch my Houdini dog opening my bedroom door but he likes sleeping in my closet and just wants to go there.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
We don't, but we're tech people. These "pet" cameras are SUPER easy to hack if your home network isn't super locked down.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We don't, but we're tech people. These "pet" cameras are SUPER easy to hack if your home network isn't super locked down.
Interestingly, we use a Ring camera, pointed at Hazel's kennel so we can see what she is up to during her kennel time. I always worry about it being hacked. I feel like our network is secure, but how do I know? I usually move the camera when she isn't in there, but, sometimes I leave it up and it is our bedroom, which kind of creeps me out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Wopet and I love it. I love being able to see what he is doing while I'm at work. And I can give him treats. The only downside is seeing him fuss sometimes like below. But usually he just sleeps on the bed. Anyone else have pictures ? View attachment 144508
We use a Ring Camera pointed at Hazel's kennel so we can see what is going on when she is in there. When she was younger, getting used to her forced naps, she would howl and we would talk through the camera and tell her to "be quiet" and "go to sleep" and that would shut her right up trying to figure out how I was talking to her in the room without being in the room lol. She always decided it was better to shut up and take a nap 🤣!

·
Registered
4yr old female
373 Posts
I have security cameras all around and in my home. I use them to check up on my girl during the day. She's usually sleeping on my couch spot. My cameras do not go to a cloud, they are set up to send video to my NAS and I can access it via VPN.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Interestingly, we use a Ring camera, pointed at Hazel's kennel so we can see what she is up to during her kennel time. I always worry about it being hacked. I feel like our network is secure, but how do I know? I usually move the camera when she isn't in there, but, sometimes I leave it up and it is our bedroom, which kind of creeps me out.
While I don't know how Ring's system works, your network is the key.

We have ours set up to accept only specific MAC (hardware) addresses, ensuring the only devices on the network are the devices we've added. We took it another step further by removing the publicly visible name. Unless you know it's there, you can't find it.

This means it's harder to identify the network, making it harder to know what's there.

Oh, and CHANGE THE PASSWORD ON YOUR ROUTER. I can't stress this enough. So many individuals don't, and that's the weak point.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I have security cameras all around and in my home. I use them to check up on my girl during the day. She's usually sleeping on my couch spot. My cameras do not go to a cloud, they are set up to send video to my NAS and I can access it via VPN.
What NAS do you use, and do you like it? We're comparison shopping at the moment. Husband prefers Qnap but I'm open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
I have a Wopet and I love it. I love being able to see what he is doing while I'm at work. And I can give him treats. The only downside is seeing him fuss sometimes like below. But usually he just sleeps on the bed. Anyone else have pictures ? View attachment 144508
Reading through this with all the warnings about hacking is like trying to read a complex scientific text in a language I don't know nor understand.

Ya'll do realize I can't even figure out how to transfer a block of text from one place to another--I am the ultimate in Luddite's any more.

(at least that means that since I have not pet cams or any other kind of cam's there is no risk of being hacked--at leat not via something I don't have.

Thanks for the entertainment though.

dobebug/ABTLH

·
Registered
78 Posts
While I don't know how Ring's system works, your network is the key.

We have ours set up to accept only specific MAC (hardware) addresses, ensuring the only devices on the network are the devices we've added. We took it another step further by removing the publicly visible name. Unless you know it's there, you can't find it.

This means it's harder to identify the network, making it harder to know what's there.

Oh, and CHANGE THE PASSWORD ON YOUR ROUTER. I can't stress this enough. So many individuals don't, and that's the weak point.
Good information, I think I have some work to do regarding security!

·
Registered
4yr old female
373 Posts
What NAS do you use, and do you like it? We're comparison shopping at the moment. Husband prefers Qnap but I'm open to suggestions.
I've been using Synology units for about 10 years now. I've not had a single issue with them in that entire time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts