Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a set for at home, we have the stuff to make a full set but I prefer the 2x2 2 pole sets so I can break it down and work it in the garage with a few sets or even outside, just work on different lengths and problem areas/lengths that may still pop up.
Anywho, I have seen a huge range in prices from $142 for a set of 6 at 24" to $480 for a set of 12 :smile8::uuuh_2d_silly: I'd prefer a set of twelve for closer to $300 and under if possible, but if I can't find that then the cheapest 6 set will have to do since it's just practice.

So just wondering where everyone got theirs or have seen them and for how much.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! That's only like $70, I guess the only downer is I cant use it outside of on grass/dirt.... something to ponder, but very cool regardless :)

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
The 2x2 sets on there would work well inside, but they aren't that cheap...

How often do you train indoors? Here in NZ on my island we have maybe 2 indoor shows a year, and no clubs are based indoors... everything happens on grass here lol.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty often actually, currently it's 80% indoor and starting to go outside but we have to work distraction wise first. We started over winter and its just spring now.
I would like the inside option because of the rains and snows that we get around here, and I suppose the extreme heat in the summer on occasion.

So far clean run has the cheapest 6 sets I've seen actually.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Bought a set (12) for my son a couple of months ago. Mad Agility made them for $200. Nice stuff. The company supplies the trials at Dream Park and other trials in PA and MD.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought a set (12) for my son a couple of months ago. Mad Agility made them for $200. Nice stuff. The company supplies the trials at Dream Park and other trials in PA and MD.
Awesome, I sent them an email about total pricing with shipping added to my state. :D :thanx:

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I made my weave poles out of pvc. I didnt glue them so can use them as 2x2's or 6 or 12. I cant recall how many feet I used. My hubby's company also sells pvc so I get a special price. :)

I would even consider using staked poles in the ground before I would spend that much on weaves. But it does depend on the person b/c I surely couldnt pass up her tunnel and that was a pretty penny.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've got a set of 12 from MADD Agility also. Picked them up from a show so no shipping. They are in 2 sections so you could bring one inside if you had to.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I made my weave poles out of pvc. I didnt glue them so can use them as 2x2's or 6 or 12. I cant recall how many feet I used. My hubby's company also sells pvc so I get a special price. :)

I would even consider using staked poles in the ground before I would spend that much on weaves. But it does depend on the person b/c I surely couldnt pass up her tunnel and that was a pretty penny.
I would but I feel the need to be able to bring them inside is a must around here. It's her best obstacle so I figure she's worth it ;)
Especially since mama doesnt have the $$/isn't going to buy her all the big stuff(a-frame, teeter, tunnel) though, just jumps, weaves, and an old extra large warehouse barrel for a tunnel, with a regular table for a table.

We have the pvc poles and a long wood strip to make a full set, but I really love the break down option so I can work on just entrances or w/e length she is having an issue with certain days

I've got a set of 12 from MADD Agility also. Picked them up from a show so no shipping. They are in 2 sections so you could bring one inside if you had to.
You have the channel weave set then? I'm interested in the 2x2 sets so I would/should end up with six 2 pole sets I can break down into whatever number of poles I want/need

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I just did the same thing!

You can find the instructions online, or look up the regulation measurements in the AKC agility handbook. I bought a bunch of PVC, connectors, and the blue colored tape from Home Depot. Total cost was around $40, start-to-finish it took me about 30-minutes to put together. I made 3 sets of the 2 x 2 style and one fully attached set of 6 weaves spaced. I still have the measurements and number of poles I used if you want it.

The stick in the ground weaves are nice, especially with that pre-measured 'tape', but I really wanted something I could easily work the 2 x 2 method with and use indoors when it's rainy out or getting dark. It makes it so convenient to throw in a few random weave training sessions during the day in the house when I have free time. I love it!

I priced a bunch of weaves and finally decided I'd just spend the time doing it myself rather than the money. And I really thought it would be more work than it was which is why I hadn't done it sooner, but it was so easy. BF and I will be making some jumps this weekend with PVC and connectors. :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just did the same thing!

You can find the instructions online, or look up the regulation measurements in the AKC agility handbook. I bought a bunch of PVC, connectors, and the blue colored tape from Home Depot. Total cost was around $40, start-to-finish it took me about 30-minutes to put together. I made 3 sets of the 2 x 2 style and one fully attached set of 6 weaves spaced. I still have the measurements and number of poles I used if you want it.

The stick in the ground weaves are nice, especially with that pre-measured 'tape', but I really wanted something I could easily work the 2 x 2 method with and use indoors when it's rainy out or getting dark. It makes it so convenient to throw in a few random weave training sessions during the day in the house when I have free time. I love it!

I priced a bunch of weaves and finally decided I'd just spend the time doing it myself rather than the money. And I really thought it would be more work than it was which is why I hadn't done it sooner, but it was so easy. BF and I will be making some jumps this weekend with PVC and connectors. :)
I'd love them, I totally spaced until your post and then re read herbs lol I couldn't picture but now can what she was talking about. I was just seeing a full set but get it now. If you could pm the specs it'd be greatly appreciated! Could make it this weekend then :D

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would do 12, not 6. I never do just 6 poles, only in Novice if I can avoid it. We saved and spent the money and it's one thing I do NOT regret at all. Back then my channel set was $300. But that was 7 years ago :)

Reactions: Sam1491

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would do 12, not 6. I never do just 6 poles, only in Novice if I can avoid it. We saved and spent the money and it's one thing I do NOT regret at all. Back then my channel set was $300. But that was 7 years ago :)
I only break them down when she needs work on that plus other obstacles, entrances, or is having a brain fart on the full length.

So far I'm really diggin the pvc idea and will probably do it. But still want to see what the cheapest out there is in the traditional metal.

Anyone know where I can buy just bases? I do already have twelve poles....

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I'd love them, I totally spaced until your post and then re read herbs lol I couldn't picture but now can what she was talking about. I was just seeing a full set but get it now. If you could pm the specs it'd be greatly appreciated! Could make it this weekend then :D
I was about to say I didnt know you couldnt bring PVC in the house. If you want them to come apart just dont glue them. :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I see you are in Wisconsin. I am having a total brain-fart, but there one someone is Wisconsin, whom we were put in touch with through an agility trainer, who made us a gorgeous set of channel weaves (12). They weren't cheap but weren't ridiculously expensive, either. Really, really well made. I'll wrack my brain and try to remember.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see you are in Wisconsin. I am having a total brain-fart, but there one someone is Wisconsin, whom we were put in touch with through an agility trainer, who made us a gorgeous set of channel weaves (12). They weren't cheap but weren't ridiculously expensive, either. Really, really well made. I'll wrack my brain and try to remember.
Thanks! Do you think they make 2x2's also?
I'm not totally opposed to two sets of 6 if they are a better deal since she has pretty darn good weaves but have a preference obviously.

My boss is at a trial so I am waiting to hear back from her where she got her set of 12 (in my latest post in oh this, it's just pictures thread), for I think she told me $180 which is a great price for metal based ones! and he sells just bases which would work since I have poles.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmmm

Ok so from here 12 poles = $194 which is the high end price of most 6 pole 2x2 sets I have seen
Max 200 Obedience, Agility, Flyball Performance Equipment - Max 200 Agility, Obedience, Flyball Performance Equipment

Brw is this what yours look like? It would cost me $110 to buy 12, obviously if I do pvc i'll make them though, why buy what I can make, but I can't melt and pour metal ;)
From affordable agility.com

I'm on the fence, I can't deny the price and ease of pvc, plus light weight, but also feel like it is one of few obstacles I will buy her and might be worth the investment to have for her and the rest of the dogs I'll have....well ever! lol Hmmm

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks! Do you think they make 2x2's also?
I'm not totally opposed to two sets of 6 if they are a better deal since she has pretty darn good weaves but have a preference obviously.

My boss is at a trial so I am waiting to hear back from her where she got her set of 12 (in my latest post in oh this, it's just pictures thread), for I think she told me $180 which is a great price for metal based ones! and he sells just bases which would work since I have poles.
I wonder if this guy is the same one who made ours. They have a metal base and are incredible...and did not come with poles. I think we paid around $180 also.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts