Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was wondering if anybody knows of some good, low activity games you can play with your dobe. Simon is recovering from surgery and is supposed to be crated, no running jumping or playing rough for the next six weeks. He is feeling better today and is absolutely driving me nuts! He wants to play.....so we play get your squeak/kong/bone/rope in the office (a smaller room) but he gets bored with it after a while. I've put PB in his kong but he really could care less, he licks the outside and thats that. While I'm sitting here hes is looking at me with his squeak and putting his paw on my lap....I can't keep this up for another five weeks! I feel bad for him not being able to play but what can I do?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hi there!! Try some obedience work with him!! Even though you may think it is work, they LOVE it!!! And it really strengthens your relationship with him! You can look into some OB classes, or if he is already that far along, try rally classes, I'm on course with that and we have a ball!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
If this shows up twice - sorry. Computer strange tonight ...
We have a few games we play when preparing pups (older dogs too) for SAR training. Most take to it quickly and LOVE it.
You let the dog smell an object, take that object into another room and hide it. Then take the dog to the room to find it. Of course, you start out with something the dog is just DESPERATE to get his mouth on and put it in virtually plain site, then add difficulty, change objects, bigger rooms, then outside.
Have used this with dobes,shepherds, labs, mixed breeds. All loved it, caught on and advanced quickly.
Another drive game is to throw the object into a dark room/barn/etc. and have them "sniff" it out. Develops search skills, drive, confidence - and keeps them busy!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ouch... I feel your pain. I've had to keep Ava quiet on two seperate occasions due to minor injuries and it was not easy by any means.

Like Jessie mentioned, obedience is a great start. I bought a book of dog tricks once she learned the basics and we clickered our way through boredom.... Mostly. I used to hide objects around the house and have her find them. She had a lot of fun with this but I don't know how low key you're supposed to keep Simon. I also stock piled lots of marrow bones from the grocery store which would keep her busy for a while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been doing a little obedience with him. Basically he is supposed to be crated (or gated in the hall like I keep him mostly) and only let out if I can give him full attention that he doesn't run around and basically keeps quiet. From what I understand they had to break his leg and put in a plate thing...how this helps a torn ligament, I don't know. Shoulda done more research on it.

I have hidden things in his blanket, but like I said it gets old fast. I don't want to give TOO many treats, he'll get fat with his low activity! I've cut his food down though....so anyways going into rooms and wandering around the house is out of the question. I guess I'll just have to keep hiding stuff in the blanket or under his bed. Other than that he just chews his bone....and looks at me and cries.. We will be doing obedience once he gets better, I want to get TDI so we can go to the nursing homes and hospitals, and possibly CGC and who knows. He is excellent about finding his hidden toys ( and knows which one is which...I say ball he usually gets the ball..) so that will be something we can do in a few weeks, possibly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have been playing 'hide and go seek' with Pyper as well. We use the words, "Go Find", or if it's a person she has to find, it's "Where is she/he?". She loves it. And we get a kick out of it as well.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Simonthebigred said:
I have been doing a little obedience with him. Basically he is supposed to be crated (or gated in the hall like I keep him mostly) and only let out if I can give him full attention that he doesn't run around and basically keeps quiet. From what I understand they had to break his leg and put in a plate thing...how this helps a torn ligament, I don't know. Shoulda done more research on it.

I have hidden things in his blanket, but like I said it gets old fast. I don't want to give TOO many treats, he'll get fat with his low activity! I've cut his food down though....so anyways going into rooms and wandering around the house is out of the question. I guess I'll just have to keep hiding stuff in the blanket or under his bed. Other than that he just chews his bone....and looks at me and cries.. We will be doing obedience once he gets better, I want to get TDI so we can go to the nursing homes and hospitals, and possibly CGC and who knows. He is excellent about finding his hidden toys ( and knows which one is which...I say ball he usually gets the ball..) so that will be something we can do in a few weeks, possibly.

Poor boy, I didn't know he had that massive of a surgery, or I wouldn't have suggested OB work....Good luck with your bored doberchild....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts