Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiancé took Ziva to the vet yesterday as she had been able to keep anything down and was acting fatigued since Saturday. She would still hop up if she thought someone was at the door and wants to go outside if you are, but instead of running and playing around when she is inside, she just crawls up on the couch and lays down. The doctor said that she essentially has the flu (she had a bit of a fever) and gave her a shot with an antibiotic in it and then gave us 4 pills to follow up with to give her. I got home at 6 last night from work, and she did not eat or drink anything at all from that time until I left this morning. The vet said to give her a scrambled egg or try some boiled chicken, of which we tried the scrambled egg. She would smell it and act as if she wanted to, but then would walk away. We also have tried giving her Gatorade just to get something in her system (granted she is not considered dehydrated based on the normal nape of the neck test, and checking her gums for stickiness). We cannot give her the medicine unless she eats. Does anyone have any recommendations on things to try to give her to get her to eat or even drink? I am worried because I haven't seen her actually eat something since Sunday (boiled chicken that she vomited up about 4 hours later), and I am hoping that the vet properly diagnosed her :( He said to bring her back on Thursday if she still has not ate or drank. Has anyone else had something similar? I didn't realize that dogs got forms of the stomach flu. I feel like such a novice dog owner when I am incapable of understanding what's wrong and can't find a way to make her feel better :( Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
yogurt. plain or vanilla yogurt. works like a charm. is the antibiotic in a capsule? even better - pop that sucker open and mix it in the yogurt once she's decided to eat it.

·
joie de vivre
11,203 Posts
I'd probably try to focus mostly on getting her to eat the antibiotic. Once that gets in her system she should begin feeling better and regain an appetite.

Have you tried wrapping it in smelly cheese or lunch meat? My girls, even when sick, will gobble up pills in both of those options.

I would be concerned about her not drinking water. You can request sub-q fluids be given if needed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use Nutri-Cal for smaller dogs but I'm sure you can buy it from Revival in larger forms. For now go to your vet or pet store and buy Nutri-Cal, it comes in a tube. Squeeze out big glob, see if she will lick it from your hand, if not put a glob on the roof of her mouth. It is vitamins and sugar to give her a little nutrition and energy. usually they start to eat soon after they absorb the Nutri-cal. Also try a marrow bone from the super market. If they don't sell already cooked bones, boil one and give it to her. sometimes the chewing and sucking on the bone gets the eating juices started. Lastly, you can also use Pepsid Complete sold for people, cut up a tablet and put it down her mouth. It will help settle her stomach. I hope some of this helps. She can go without eating for a while but try chicken broth (canned) to get her to drink. most of my dogs love it.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Reading her symptoms as listed by you, my immediate concern is if you've got the right diagnosis.

Did the vet test her for Parvo?

How was "the flu" diagnosed, do you know?

·
Registered
662 Posts
We also go to yogurt first for loose poop issues. Mixing the yogurt with some fave food may help. A little raspberry yogurt may work too.

My dogs have never gone for the boiled chicken or plain eggs. Given how little she's eaten in days, I'd try with a little of her super fave food, non-fatty roasted chicken or even some meat human baby food and let it settle. She needs really small amounts many times a day to get the digestion going again. Too much at one time and she'll vomit.

If nothing works in a little while, I'd go back to the vet today or go to a different vet. I wouldn't wait until Thurs if she really isn't eating anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try yogurt, cheese, and lunch meat to see if any of these options spark any interest in her. I went to the pet store on my lunch break and bought Nutri-cal so I will try that if she is still not eating anything.

RedFawnRising – I don’t believe that she has been tested for Parvo. Unfortunately, I am at the liberty of what my fiancé told me about the appointment, which basically was summarized as him telling the vet her symptoms, the vet taking her temperature, checking for dehydration, feeling her to see if she appears swollen or tender anywhere, and then basically (what I think) diagnosing her based on what he has seen frequently with other dogs that have come in. He personally is not my favorite vet (my fiancé has a farm with goats, and this vet is pets and small farm animals), and I am concerned that she may have swallowed something that is causing a blockage that he is completely unaware of because no x-rays were done. I have another vet that my family uses that I think I am going to take her to tomorrow if she is still not eating or drinking. I think that he suggested Thursday to bring her in as opposed to Wednesday because he doesn’t have office hours on Wednesday, which also rubs me the wrong way (not that he doesn’t have hours, but the fact that he would suggest prolonging her pain/suffering just to fit in with his schedule).

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
I will try yogurt, cheese, and lunch meat to see if any of these options spark any interest in her. I went to the pet store on my lunch break and bought Nutri-cal so I will try that if she is still not eating anything.

RedFawnRising – I don’t believe that she has been tested for Parvo. Unfortunately, I am at the liberty of what my fiancé told me about the appointment, which basically was summarized as him telling the vet her symptoms, the vet taking her temperature, checking for dehydration, feeling her to see if she appears swollen or tender anywhere, and then basically (what I think) diagnosing her based on what he has seen frequently with other dogs that have come in. He personally is not my favorite vet (my fiancé has a farm with goats, and this vet is pets and small farm animals), and I am concerned that she may have swallowed something that is causing a blockage that he is completely unaware of because no x-rays were done. I have another vet that my family uses that I think I am going to take her to tomorrow if she is still not eating or drinking. I think that he suggested Thursday to bring her in as opposed to Wednesday because he doesn’t have office hours on Wednesday, which also rubs me the wrong way (not that he doesn’t have hours, but the fact that he would suggest prolonging her pain/suffering just to fit in with his schedule).
Pity you can't take her to your Vet today. I wouldn't be hanging around.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Eeek Gatorade ...use clear pedialite instead.
Also Nature's Bounty Sublingual B- complex liquid drops (regular strength) was given the green light for some sickly puppies we helped care for @ the human dose too- to boost their appetite & it did help.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I have found one tiny problem with trying to get really sick dogs to eat, IF I eventually do, it often comes back up. So to me it's a fine line between how hard I try because mayvb they shouldn't really eat.

Reactions: ZivaDiva

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
How is she doing today?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delay in response, I don't have a desktop at home and I stayed home from work yesterday to take her to another vet. He tested her for Parvo and it was negative (she had her vaccines so I wasn't too concerned about this). After observing her and listening to her issues, he thought it was one of 2 things - a form of a worm that is irritating the lining of her intestines causing a digestive issue, or coccidia which would have been brought on by some form of internal stress (i.e. hormones developing prior to coming into heat, as she has not been spayed yet). He prescribed Panacur-C in the granule form to give to her once a day for 3 days. He said that she would feel better after one dose, be practically back to normal after the second, and we wouldn't even know that she had anything after the third. I gave it to her around 1pm, she slept from about 2 until 8pm, and when she woke up she was literally back to normal - eating kibble, drinking water, dragging my shoes around, getting every toy out of her toy box. I could not have been any happier to be stepping on squeaky toys again! Thanks to everyone on your advice, hopefully I don't have to deal with anymore issues like that anytime soon (or better yet, ever again!)

I attached a picture of her and one of her rope toys. Happy as a clam! :)

Attachments

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
She's really cute, glad to hear the happy update.

Reactions: ZivaDiva and Q734

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
Thank you for going with your gut and getting her to the Vet you wanted to use - good for you. Yay!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Wanted to echo the Gatorade concerns - I definitely recommend clear Pedialyte. I typically mix it with something (such as soaking it in bread).

Glad to see the happy update :)

Reactions: ZivaDiva
1 - 15 of 15 Posts