Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with ticks in my back yard and it's the part that is fenced and where Da'Kari plays. The problem is when sitting out there on the patio I have gotten a few ticks off of me and Da'Kari. There are woods behind the house and I see deer there occasionally.

Is there a safe spray for grass that would take care of that without harming my dog?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ticks

My thoughts on that is this. personally I would contact the tree huggers in your area ( I mean that in a good way ) and or the pest control people. The reason being they know the type of vegetation in your area and the type of tick. I would hate for you to go and spend money and buy all types of product that isn't suited to kill off the little suckers and or maybe everything else surrounding it. Good luck, maybe somebody on the forum has an allround type solution for you to use!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I have heard of Diatomaceous Earth for safe tick and pest control for yards

Reactions: DaKari

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I heard this too. spread it outside the fenced in part. Supposedly, it keeps the ticks out. Also keeping the grass very short outside the yard helps. I know it is not good for lawns to be too short, but right outside your fenced in part should not be a problem.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
That is what we use for the dogs...I could never even start to try to spell it though lol
They have different ways of using it too...it might depend on what variation you get...I dont know...we get the powder...
and from what i know you can...
put it in their food
put it in their water
dust it on their coat while outside.

I havent had any tick problems except when going to the dog park. and I feel its not worth the hassle of potential ticks so now even though we use the powder I still wont bother going to the dog park.

we line some of our floors around the tile or hardwood floor borders of the rooms in our house

Has anyone ever heard of a heartworm and parasite control...Im going to spell it the way it MIGHT be spelt haha lol
Parasteim or parasteem or parastiem or parastien lol. I dont know...we switched from regular heartworm to that about a month and a half ago...
but it is also a powder you put in their food for 30 days and then off for 30 days etc...

·
Registered
8,069 Posts

I believe the ticks that attach themselves to dog's and people are hard bodied ticks, therefore Diatomaceous Earth would probably not work. Although it is very good to use in your garden for slugs..:)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You could also check with your vet and see what kind of pest control they use. I'm sure that the vets make sure to use pest and weed control in their areas that are safe for animals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts