Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Ive used this site for a wealth of information for my Dobe, figured its time to register!

I take my dog out in heavy forested areas almost daily, and he is coming back with large lacerations on his chest from running down hills and hitting sharpe wooded logs. A few have been 4-6 inches in length but with no MAJOR damage... They are more like less deep thick scratches.

As I'm sure many you have found with your Dobe, he seems to have little regard for his own safety when flying down/up these hills at top speeds.

What I'm looking for is a safety harness that has major protection for his whole chest, that comes high on the neck area He gets so excited to run in the forrest and I don't want to take it away from him, but I can see one day a stiff broken branch killing or causing seriously injury. Until I have proper protection I've halted his forest excursions.

Louie is a standard doberman at 27.5 inches and 80 pounds weight, if this helps for seizing. Almost 2 years old.

Any recommendations for would be greatly appreciated, attempted to search the forums, with no luck.

[On a side note, please be very careful if you live in cold climates where there is frozen lake/river/streams.... any source of deep enough water. Ive seen 3 dogs die this winter falling through ice! And I've had to go into my neck in freezing water to pull my dog out during this Canadian winter. Keep all dogs away from any frozen water source!

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
There is something called a skidplate that is sometimes used by hunters on their dogs. I know that KV Supply carries them, so check out their website. I would give you the item number, but I don't see my catalog right off hand.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Scheels carries skid plates, used for hunting dogs, generally.

You can also get neoprene vests that cover the chest and belly area.

Try Sheel's and/or Cabela's.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Herb2relax
1 - 3 of 3 Posts