Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Doberman, purchased from Smith Dobermans in Reedley, CA was sired by Rootin Tootin Crimson Cowboy. We lost our boy to bone cancer two months ago at the age of 6. He was Z factored as his mother was a white (we didn't know any better and I fell in love with Jack immmediately). After research on why we should NOT breed whites, I knew we wanted another boy sired by this male as our boy seemed to pick up the best of this stud. I specifically asked about future breeding with a non Z factored female as their website states they offer non z. I contacted Smith Dobermans to find out if they were still breeding Cowboy and was informed they were breeding him to Z factored females as their goal was to produce whites. I was very disappointed, but am not willing to further this breeding of whites and destroy the level of purity of these beautiful dogs. I do love the look of this particular stud and I really wanted a relation with my boy. I found one pup from Cowboy's second litter, KHAN in PA (Heathers House of Dobes). Did anyone else purchase a puppy or knows of anyone who has Cowboy in their pedigree? I don't beleive Smith Dobermans will be of any help as they referred me to the DPCA.

·
Extraordimary
4,985 Posts
Supporting the types of breeders that would further z factored Dobermans is just wrong and hurtful to our breed.

I know you loved your dog, but please stop following a dream that supports lousy breeding practices.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I almost bought a Doberman from there before I got Bumpy but found out about the Z factor and actually lost my deposit when I pulled out of purchasing the puppy. I did not want to support the Z factor although I still did not end up with the best breeder. I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Those type of breeders are really hurting our breed. There are many dedicated breeders out there who truly love the breed and strive to produce a better dog with each generation. Even dogs of similiar breeding will have their own personalities. If you stay in this breed long enough, you will probably love all of them equally and be able to look back and laugh at the funny little things they all did. Best of luck and I hope you find the second Dobe boy of your dreams.

Robin and Rex

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I know you loved your boy, but you don't have to get another one of the same lines to get another wonderful doberman. All dobermans pretty well carry the same characteristics. It would be the odd doberman that did not. The breeders you mention are terrible exploiters of the doberman breed.
There are many wonderful people who breed and raise dobermans for the improvement of the breed and not for profit. Go to some shows and see what correct doberman should look like and meet people involved in the breed. There are usually pet quality puppies in show litters that sell for less money but are cared for in the same manner as the show puppies.
Do check out the DPCA breeder referral, but do remember just because a breeder is on the refferal list does not make them a wonderful breeder. Do your research.
Please do not buy from a back yard breeder or byb. There are a lot of diseases these dogs can inherit and the proper tests should be done on the parents before breeding.
Check out the DPCA website for a lot of great information.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Trust me, Heathers House of Dobes is not a step up. Anyone who is breeding to that dog is not a good breeder. He himself is maybe not a terrible dog, but because he has been used extensively by greeders, no reputable breeder would touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I would recommend that you go to the DPCA website at www.dpca.org and do some reading. Then start with the breeders list for your area. Not every breeder on that list is what I would consider to be a great breeder, but most of them are reputable and any of them are a step up from the ones you have dealt with.

Most people think that DPCA breeders are only breeding for show dogs when nothing could be further from the truth. Most puppies from two champion parents are going to go to companion or competiton homes. The cost for most of these truly well bred puppies is not much more than a byb puppy - especially when you consider all that goes into breeding a good litter. In fact, the average price for a companion puppy from a reputable breeder is between $1200 - $2000 ......... depending on the breeder and where you are at. That is for health tested champion parents, cropping included, and a lifetime of support from the breeder. I've got to tell you that I see prices that are in that same price range on the internet everyday for byb puppies that are not even cropped.

You will not find most reputable breeders on the internet. A few of us (I count myself loosely in the breeder group as I am just now planning my first litter after almost 15 years in the breed) have websites now and I hope more good breeders do in the future ............ but we don't have them to sell puppies to just anyone. We have them to showcase the breed and our beloved dogs. Searching the internet for Dobermans is a sure way to find an unethical breeder.

Reactions: dragonman

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Trust me, Heathers House of Dobes is not a step up. Anyone who is breeding to that dog is not a good breeder. He himself is maybe not a terrible dog, but because he has been used extensively by greeders, no reputable breeder would touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I would recommend that you go to the DPCA website at www.dpca.org and do some reading. Then start with the breeders list for your area. Not every breeder on that list is what I would consider to be a great breeder, but most of them are reputable and any of them are a step up from the ones you have dealt with.
That bears repeating about Heather's House of Dobes.

One thing to consider-Smith dobermans *did not* breed Rootin-Tootin Crimson Cowboy. He was an unfortunate purchase, due to a bitch owner not screening puppy buyers carefully-thus a z free puppy winding up in the hands of the Smiths.

I agree with what many others have said..MOST dobermans are wonderful companions, you don't need to buy the same bloodline to obtain that. But if you're absolutely committed to getting a dog related to Cowboy, then I'd be talking to the breeders whose lines were used to produce the dog..and that would be Foxridge (Ron and Linda Mattson), who bred Cowboy's sire, and Tasmin (Pat Murphy Cornelius) who bred Cowboy's dam. These are all DPCA members and both are listed in the Breeder Referral list for California.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your comments! We live in Silicon Valley, Gilroy to be exact, (hence the Garlic City in our boy's name) and I will begin looking at breeders in this area. I too was advised to research and attend shows to see different Dobies. There are at least 3 breeders in this area, but am willing to travel to find the right boy for us. Now to decide American or European lines......

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I'm going to dip a toe in this pool and say that you will probably have an easier time finding a reputable breeder in the US if you stuck to american lines. Many european bred dogs are a LOT of dog, just ask Carol about her Petey boy!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The above advice follows pretty much what I did to find our breeder. It took me close to a year to find someone I wanted to work with and it was well worth the research and the wait.

If the breeder doesn't practically interrogate you during the interview to ensure that 'her pups' are going to the best home possible, but is more concerned about payment, then follow your gut and walk away. Health test info on both the dam and sire should be at the breeder's fingertips. Check out the AKC book on breeds from the library to see what the legitimate forms should look like.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Javamom makes a very good point. When you contact a breeder if they do not interrogate you on what type of living situation you have...what type of dog you are looking for and what type of experience that you have with dobermans than run...run as fast as you can. An experienced and responsible breeder will want to know which of her/his pups will best suit you and also what type of home she/he is placing their pup in. When we first got our Titus the breeder stated that if we had not had a dobie previously that she would not place Titus with us as he was pretty strong willed and would not be successful in a new dobie home. I thought to myself how can she tell that from a pup so young. Oh boy did she hit the nail on the head. I guess 40 years of breeding does give you some experience. :) :) :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts