Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to get Odin to slow down on eating, I already bought a bowl that is suppose to slow down his eating which it does but he still attacks it as if his litter mates were around and he has to compete for it. And because he still attacks it he swallows a lot of air in which later turns into some pretty gnarly gas. Do you think that this will get better over time and he will slow down?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
What about hand feeding...or a toy that dispenses food. Nina loves her Buster Cube, and in the past we have fed her using that before. She also used to dive at her food...but since she has grown up a bit and eats relatively normal from one of the peg bowls intended to slow them down.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I would probably start hand feeding Odin some, sitting on the living room floor with her laying beside you.
- kibble given, only in a calm state

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies so far, thats a great idea with just hand feeding in place of treats because the treats I was training him with was making his stools runny. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
As Doug & Lucy AKA Hoopdie mentioned: (+1)
You have a great opportunity to kill two birds with one stone:
- feed & train & play
I always train a pup sitting on the floor, to start with...getting your eye level at a more comfortable level to the dog.
- my dobe has great focus too & it all started with having fun on the floor

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
My 7 month old is still eating as if its her first, and last meal. She gets the same amt of food as my older dog, and is done in half the time. I keep wondering when she will slow down, trying to remember when the older one stopped eating as if she were half starved, and dont remember, but at some point they do slow down.

·
Registered
420 Posts
these would be my ideas:
1. hand feeding or using his meals as training treats
2. Buster cubes, the Wobbly Kong, or other food dispensing toy
3. There are these stainless steel balls that you can buy and put in the bowl so they have to eat around them
4. get a huge rock that is almost the size of the bowl. Put it in the bowl so that the only way your pup can eat is to use his tongue to get at the food in the crevice between the rock and the bowl.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You know, Parker was a rapid eater,too. I changed his bowl to a baking dish where the food is more spread out but he never had a lot of gas. I found gas problems more related to the brand of food I was feeding thbn whether he was gulping food or not. Dogs will often have obnoxious gas when their food doesnt agree with them. Just something for you to consider.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
I agree with LindaH--gas in dogs is not really related to air ingestion when gulping food but to what they are eating and sometimes the quantity they are eating.

The treats you were using to train with that made his stool runny are also probably culprits--they will cause gas too. I use a lot of the dogs own kibble for training and if I'm using a really high value treat for something particular in training I reward with VERY small quantities. I've noticed that there is a tendency for many people to give a lot more food as a reward than a very small amount of high value food when rewarding.

By the way--I would be very reluctant to hand feed a puppy to slow down eating--gulping food and eating rapidly in wild canids is a positive when it comes to survival--dogs are pretty much designed to eat that way. I've raised enough male puppies to tell you that if you intend to show him (as you've indicated) you'll come to rue the day that you screwed around with his eating (speed and gulping) when he hits puberty and as many young males do, stops eating well since his mind is now on girls rather than food.

If you are determined to slow his eating down do it with a large pan and spread the kibble out so he has a harder time grabbing mouthfuls.

But I for one would recommend leaving his eating habits pretty much alone.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I agree with LindaH--gas in dogs is not really related to air ingestion when gulping food but to what they are eating and sometimes the quantity they are eating.

The treats you were using to train with that made his stool runny are also probably culprits--they will cause gas too. I use a lot of the dogs own kibble for training and if I'm using a really high value treat for something particular in training I reward with VERY small quantities. I've noticed that there is a tendency for many people to give a lot more food as a reward than a very small amount of high value food when rewarding.

By the way--I would be very reluctant to hand feed a puppy to slow down eating--gulping food and eating rapidly in wild canids is a positive when it comes to survival--dogs are pretty much designed to eat that way. I've raised enough male puppies to tell you that if you intend to show him (as you've indicated) you'll come to rue the day that you screwed around with his eating (speed and gulping) when he hits puberty and as many young males do, stops eating well since his mind is now on girls rather than food.

If you are determined to slow his eating down do it with a large pan and spread the kibble out so he has a harder time grabbing mouthfuls.

I agree with absolutely everything Dobebug has said here-good post!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Muffin tin, pan with kibble or kibble on the floor. The more you step in, the faster he might eat. Flirt gets worse with food cubes, etc. and starts gulping and getting frantic.

MVI 35791 - YouTube

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Me, three... everything Dobebug said.

I timed my girl once when she was a pup... one pound of ground meat/bone/organs in twelve seconds... this is normal!

I think it borders on cruel and unusual punishment to respond to the desperate hunger of rapidly growing baby animals by delivering food in dribs and drabs, a kibble or two at a time... I think the food dispensing toys are great for amusements, but frustratingly unfair as a way to provide meals to starving babies. Using meals for training is great, but let them eat the most of their food in peace and use just the last handful for training.

I thought you were starting to raw feed, yes? If Odin is eating rapidly, I would very much encourage you to ditch the little things like cut wing sections and offer pieces large enough to work on and too large to gulp down.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

you learn something new every day, thanks for the info I didn't know that, I'll just leave it be then ; )

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Chuck it out onto the lawn (not where he poops). Our girl Cricket was a major food bolter, so if the weather was nice we would scatter her kibble on the lawn to keep her entertained for a few hours :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
The kong wobbler was pretty handy at giving our pup a more spread out, slowed down meal, mid day.

The food can barely come out a few pieces at a time, in which he eats, hen bashes it again and slaps it around til a few more come out.

We also feed him exclusively in his crate, for now. He can go in and out at his leisure when we're home and eat at his own pace. Sometimes he is a nibbler, play, nibbler, play, nibbler...and sometimes he finishes it all in one sitting.

Now, the drinking...that little boys accelerator has 4 turbos attached to it and is stuck to the floor.

It's like a boat motor with the blades half in the water, half out...and when he lifts his head up, half of what he thrashed around, drips back into the water bowl...or gets drug all over the first ten feet of the direction he gallops off too.

:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
We just bought a "bloat bowl" today too. You have to make sure when you are using these bowls that the dogs nose doesn't touch the bottom, we bought the medium for our girl as the large was too large even if full grown. Its made from a company in Germany. We were handfeeding initially but its not a good idea to do that because once they get used to it, its a really hard habit to break. What we are doing at our breeders suggestion and its working wonderful, is we are now putting her food in her crate and letting her eat it in there and then relaxing a bit to digest prior to taking her out. Its been much better feeding her this way because she is getting used to "chilling out" after she eats for a little bit because once they are full grown, I've been told that they shouldn't run around wild right after eating or drinking alot because then it ups the torsion/bloat risk. After about a half hour, ( we will increase this when she is full grown to about an hour) we let her out and whatever is left in the bowl we just throw away, then we take her out she does her business and life is good. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts