Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ValkyrieMama
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little inappropriate conversation piece, but anyone else deal with this kind of thing? My girl is a gooser but also likes to goose and then rapid fire nip my thighs right up there. I'm in quarantine awaiting test results from an exposure to an exposed co-worker, so she's been quarantined with no playdates for over a week and what was a random, scolded bad habit is turning more persistent with the lack of other live chew options.

I have to admit, part of me wishes I had Truman Show cameras running though especially when she found me on the phone so I couldn't yelp or effectively stop her and just kept dodging and hopping... If not for the painful bruising and encouraging a bad habit, it's hilarious.

She has also occasionally tried to dig "that" out from under the covers when bored at trying to go to sleep. I try to warn people who visit to protect the goods because yes, there is a risk she will do more than sniff...

She's 16 weeks now but has been obsessed with "private scents" since I picked her up at 8 weeks.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
MY NAME IS HOSS AND I AM A CROTCH POKER!

LOL

My boy Hoss is a poker in that way.
But he does not follow up with a nip.
Just a poke. And it is funny because I always warn people of the poke.
After all their crotches are right at his head level.
But heck the guys just let him smell. !!! Figures!!
But the women, each and every time they will do all this squirming around attempting to hide the scent.
Which causes the second poke......Ba ha ha I know you know what I am talking about.
Hard to not keep a straight face At times.
Dogs investigate with their noses BUT good canines should not stay there long.....but the nip is an area of concern for sure.
You will have to be very careful is how you react to this behavior.
You....the human ....need to be strict. No tolerance for nipping.Game over. Done. No attention.
Curious during any other play sessions does your pup follow up with the nip Action?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Loki is a poker. One of my bfs is terrified of him and overly protective of her area, due to bad (human) memories.... sadly. We try to restrict him from her as much as possible. Another male friend got poked pretty hard, he jumped, and I couldn't stop laughing:). I'm working on Loki walking at my side around the house and in general so he doesn't have front or back access.

·
ValkyrieMama
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loki is a poker. One of my bfs is terrified of him and overly protective of her area, due to bad (human) memories.... sadly. We try to restrict him from her as much as possible. Another male friend got poked pretty hard, he jumped, and I couldn't stop laughing:). I'm working on Loki walking at my side around the house and in general so he doesn't have front or back access.
Those long noses really poke! They aren't shy. Ha! I'll have to work on getting her to stay to the side in the house... although there are quite a few surprise charges that also include superman leaps at the belly that we're already working on... very uncivilized little being. But working on it.

·
ValkyrieMama
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dogs investigate with their noses BUT good canines should not stay there long.....but the nip is an area of concern for sure.
You will have to be very careful is how you react to this behavior.
You....the human ....need to be strict. No tolerance for nipping.Game over. Done. No attention.
Curious during any other play sessions does your pup follow up with the nip Action?
It's definitely layered. We went through shark phase where snuggling would sometimes turn into manic biting. I learned to end the snuggles immediately as well as give a verbal reprimand and sharp tug to the collar. Those have decreased significantly and when triggered, don't escalate anymore. (Partly because I'm not just sitting there!) And the calculated slow pressure bites full jaw on the arm are also often dissuaded by verbal warnings although she still tests those regularly. The retaliatory bites to hands to punish unwanted handling are still a work in progress and I try to give verbal reprimand and find a redirection as well or just remove her from her comfortable nest to go do something else if she's going to be ornery.

Nipping however has been a longtime issue and she started with calves and lower thighs getting higher up as she gets taller. It usually starts when she's bored with whatever is happening or not happening whether simply being in the house unentertained or out on a walk with no excitement or outlet for a sudden burst of energy. Jogging doesn't help on walks because it increases her prey drive so we mostly keep to a steady pace. Sometimes it helps if I freeze as some of the nipping was prey response to my movements. Other times, freezing does not help as she is determined to goad me into roughhousing with her. And the nipping is characteristic of her play with other dogs. Her first friends included a mastiff so she readily runs under a larger dog and attacks from below, often the backs of their thighs is her preferred target. So I know it's not "aggressive" and though it was waning is mostly becoming an issue again due to having no regular outlet for a while. I'm trying to up her mental stimulation by introducing scent work and starting up training again (we paused that too during the worst days of her 3 weeks of loose stool because cooking for her plus regular everything plus training with specially prepared bland treats like rice balls or shredded chicken was too much extra sometimes) and there's a big difference when she's had tons of mental stimulation thrown at her to replace the canine interaction she's missing.

Hopefully we are cleared to return to society soon because her "academy daycare" was scheduled to start and was postponed due to our quarantine. I'm really hoping that a little extra help will round out some of these rough edges because she is naturally mellowing out in some ways. She is teaching herself "place" wherever I am when she's calm enough to just be so I'm reinforcing that. And she is starting to use her speech button to ask for "Play" sometimes which is far preferable to nipping. They really do grow up so fast!

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
You know what? I hate being mouthed. I hate being bitten even more and don't tolerate it. When I'm raising a puppy who do a lot of biting initially because they are interacting the only way they really know how--as if you were another puppy. Think about it. I would put a sudden halt to all teeth or mouth on me. If I were on the phone the other end of the phone person would have to wait while I deprived the puppy of me, and all attention--for something that obnoxious and potentially painful that would be a trip to her crate without any word being said. I don't crate (or if you aren't using a crate for training purposes) restrict to a puppy proofed room for very long just a few minutes but I want a clear message that they will get no interaction with me, no fun games, and definitely not attention which is primarily what she's looking for.

I'd stop making excuses--nose poking is something else--and I'm reasonably tolerant--Dobe have long noses and are predictably nosey dogs--but pokes are one thing and nips (which in my book are a biting behavior) should not be tolerated--it's definitely how puppies invite other puppies to play. AND other puppies only tolerate so much nipping, or biting what ever you care to call it and will remove themselves from the other puppy and refuse to play.

Take that as your object lesson. Stop allowing it at all.

And for the record dogs don't need to have other dogs to play with and in fact Dobes aren't really good about that. Typical Doberman "play" is much toorough for most other breeds. Adult Dobes don't do well in dog parks--there are dozens of posts about that and questions about it. Generally speaking adult Dobes don't belong in dog parks--even if your dog is wonderfully well behaved and gets along with all other dogs--most don't. And in general the reputation of social behavior of Doberman is bad enough that if some sort of a fight occurs the Doberman will be blamed even it wasn't involved.

I think that LadyDi who recommends strict intolerance of the biting (what you are calling nipping).

Good luck with it--you'll have to pretty strict since she's already escalated the behavior.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing some nosework.
You can incorporate hide and seek games frequently throughout the day.
Hoss loves hide game sometimes scents,cookies, or even people.
Oh yeah...I learned something regarding the training treats.
Do this to keep the unusual foods out of the diet.
Get a baggie.
Place kibble into the baggie.
Then fry up some bacon (crispy) Use like 1 strip of bacon( the rest is for you!!!)
THEN.....place the bacon in the baggie with the kibble.
Let that set for the day.
Next day....wa-la......you now how regular kibble that smells like BACON!!!!!
Bacon is what I use....but Be creative. Sometime I microwave hotdogs pieces (gets the grease out) then into the baggie.
Works great to eliminate the watery poops from eating strange treats.
Hoss favorite is pork roast.
He will work like you know what for something that smells like pork roast...
Have a great day.

·
Super Moderator
21,310 Posts
I'm with Bug.

But, I'll go further and say...anything you allow at this age that is "cute" may not be so cute when it's a full grown Doberman...and that includes a too vigorous sniffing or poking of the crotch! Believe me, people don't appreciate it or think it's cute when it's not a puppy.... If I can give one piece of advice, it's to be consistent early in not allowing your puppy to do anything you don't want your adult dog to do.

If your pup really enjoys "poking", I'd teach her a "nose touch" command instead. It's really easy to teach them to target your hand with their nose - I use a clicker. My girl loves to do "touch" - we use it as a reward behavior and to sort of let off steam....so at the end of a Nosework search in competition as we exit the search area, she gets to do "touch" to my hand, and I raise my hand up high so it's a jump, too. She loves it.

·
ValkyrieMama
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the great tips. I am trying to curb everything that is not a trait we want to keep, but feel overwhelmed a lot of the time trying to keep up with her energy levels right now along with the guilt of working full-time plus the stress of not being peak performance at work thanks to constant personal life issues from raising a puppy solo. I'm trying so hard to do positive direction but that means always being one step ahead and understanding their motivation in every instance--so I still revert to a lot of "No No No and that's no too--Just stop doing anything for 5 minutes!!!" Lol. But underneath it all is a great do with a ton of potential, so I know it will eventually all get straightened out!

She had an unplanned impromptu playdate with one of her puppy friends yesterday and like magic the urge to bite and nip was temporarily satisfied for the weekend. So I know part of it includes some need for a specific outlet and I'll have to find a range of satisfactory options for when playmates are not available. She is highly social which I'm not used to as my former dobe girl was an introvert. Even within breed there is room for personality! So I'm still adapting to who she is while trying to shape that into a civilized little companion.

·
Got mutt?
13,655 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts