Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined just recently - I am on my fifth Doberman, but my first from a quality breeder (the rest were rescues). In the late 90s I identified the breeder I was most interested in and Ray Carlisle of Cara somehow saw fit to entrust me with this angel! I am enjoying this boy so much - so bright and focused! I like to say he's bent on world domination. He is out of Cara's Raising A Ruckus and Cara's Tiz Now After Hours.

I would love to hear in particular from other Cara owners - or point me to old posts about your experiences with your dogs. (The search function mostly turns up mention of Cara only as a reputable breeder.)

Attachments

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Not a Cara owner but I wanted to pop in and say welcome to you and your new boy!

there are a few Cara owners on here and I"ve only heard good things :]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been owned by a Cara dog for 7 years :)
That's awesome! Have you had other Dobes? If so, did you see a difference? Because I'm seeing a huge difference between my past dogs and this boy.

I meant to add that the photos in my first post in this thread above are my boy. He's 4.5 months old now. We are going to a trainer once a week and he's learning a ton! He loves the touch command. Easy peasy food reward. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's awesome! Have you had other Dobes? If so, did you see a difference? Because I'm seeing a huge difference between my past dogs and this boy.

I meant to add that the photos in my first post in this thread above are my boy. He's 4.5 months old now. We are going to a trainer once a week and he's learning a ton! He loves the touch command. Easy peasy food reward. :)
He is my second Dobe. He is a great dog. First dog I have ever competed with in Obedience and he has done very well. Love him!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a Cara dog for 7 years. Strider. He was beautiful, smart, loving and BOLD AS BRASS.
Yes - BOLD is definitely right! I'd like to have a bold female one day - both thus far (not Cara) have been timid. :( This Cara boy is incredibly outgoing - I think I could get a WAC on him right now except for the age restriction. :)

Only seven years - so sorry. That's too short. :( Did you have any favorite training activities with him? Something I could think about with my new boy? I'm still trying to get used to having a puppy again...

·
Registered
86 Posts

I have a 4.5 month old male, NOT a Cara :) but we train once a week too, and we started the touch command last week! I love seeing my little guy's brain making the connections. This puppy I have is different from others I have owned. Very motivated to learn. Having lots of fun!
Congrats on your puppy. He is beautiful. Love his darkish face!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Gorgeous boy! I have a deposit down, and am on the waiting list for a Cara pup right now. When I put my deposit down, Ray hadn't even bred them yet. I recently got an email that Soul is pregnant, and due in February. She was bred to Tiz, so, fingers crossed, our pups may have the same daddy!!!;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My puppy just turned 10 months old and earned his CGC last month.

Recently, I've been working on "chaining" commands together - having him "touch" or "sit" - or both - before I throw the ball for him. Of course, you want to keep changing the order of the commands so they don't get into a habit. It's clear the chaining is giving him increased control over his impulses. I feel like the Grinch - that his brain grew three sizes today! :)

Later this week, we begin a class on shape, size, and color differentiation. It seems pretty unique and interesting!

·
Registered
929 Posts
My puppy just turned 10 months old and earned his CGC last month.

Recently, I've been working on "chaining" commands together - having him "touch" or "sit" - or both - before I throw the ball for him. Of course, you want to keep changing the order of the commands so they don't get into a habit. It's clear the chaining is giving him increased control over his impulses. I feel like the Grinch - that his brain grew three sizes today! :)

Later this week, we begin a class on shape, size, and color differentiation. It seems pretty unique and interesting!
Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of work, I'm sure. :) What name does your boy go by? I look forward to any updates that you care to share, and would love to see some pics of him in action during training. We love pictures here!:D

·
Still a Pup
2,733 Posts
My first Doberman bitch was out of Ch. Cara's Valar Lothlorien UD Sch I

Dobequest:Dog Profile Page

Her name was Aubrey, Lothlorien's Stars of EverEve NA NAJ CGC HIC.

She was beautiful and loving, I miss her every day. She passed away 2 years ago before Thanksgiving. Such heartbreak. :sad:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats! What a good looking pup. What are your plans for him?

Thanks! He's incredible - fearless, bold, wants to work, doesn't know the meaning of the word 'no.' So, anything I can learn to do, I want to do with him. We've been in obedience training thus far. If I can help him live up to even a fraction of his potential...!

I've been reading the threads on stacking, as I need to get good photos for the breeder and would like a decent stacked photo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts