1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,843 Posts
Flash said:
Im looking at a breeder...www.sudahrdobermans.com
Do any of you know this lady or her dogs and what do you all think of
the lines?
I've heard of the name, but being a long ways from Idaho, I don't know anything more. The pedigree looks decent, and the health testing has been done. I don't like it when people say "cardio clear" because it is a misconception. Cardio testing is something that should be done every year, but saying a dog is "clear" is only in that moment in time....it is no guarentee that they will not develop Cardiomyopathy in the future. It does look like the bitch had a cardio test in Feburary of this year. I would ask to see all testing results on paper.

Otherwise, I like that they have obedience trained dogs. Wish I could be more help, but I don't see any big red flags..... and that is a good thing.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Like velmadobe, I have heard the name, but don't know anything about them. I looked at the website and I can comment on my impressions of that, but there could always be things the website doesn't tell you. I've found that out myself from websites that said all the right things and then I heard from people who knew the breeders personally and things looked different.

However, strictly going on the information on the website, I pretty much agree with velmadobe again. I don't see any large red flags on the site. The two things that I didn't agree with were one that velmadobe mentioned, it's misleading to say a dog is "cardio clear", it may have tested clear once but might not the following year, so I think it's more accurate to say it tested clear on a certain date and give the type of tesing used.

The second thing is that she says she is a member in good standing of the AKC. That is not possible, individuals cannot be AKC members, only clubs can be members of the AKC. You can be in "good standing" with the AKC simply by not being in "bad standing" with them, that is not having gotten into any trouble with them, but you can't be a member. The DPCA is a member, and you can be a member of the DPCA, but not as an individual.

That said, the rest of the website looked good. I thought the dogs were nice looking, they were being shown and titled in conformation and some performance events, and one had an ROM.

I saw that the litter she is advertising for "Winter 2006" is sired by the dog who is also the sire of Lapdog's Duchess.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
really!!! It's so exciting to hear this background news of what happens and whos who!! You guys are great! I can just feel my love and appreciation and understanding of the breed as a whole growing and growing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot for all the input. I am already on the waiting list for a pup next Feb. Since I am new I just wanted some experienced input. I have talked to this lady alot about her dogs. I am meeting her and her bitch in June at a local showing event.
I looked alot through the pedigree and looked up alot of the dogs on DObequest just to see who has been tested for what and so on.
She gave me a reference and I contacted her. She said that she would rather talk in person than through email,that this breeder is very well respected, and she would call me, but she never did.
I also tried to email the owner of the sire just to confirm the breeding, but she never got back to me. Lapdog, do you know of any easier way to contact Dutchess' breeder? And do you know anything of that dog?

·
Premium Member
10,452 Posts
I know this breeder and most of her dogs. I'd regard her as one of the better small breeders around--even if she doesn't know that only Kennel Clubs are members of the AKC and not individuals. I think what she was trying to say that that as an individual she is in good standing with the AKC and there are definitely individuals who are not for a variety of reasons.

Most of her dogs are owner handled to their championships and she does train in performance as well.

Nice honest lady I think--health tests and does the best she can to make sure that she's breeding a suitable dog to the particular bitch. I'd recommend her any time.

Dobebug

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobebug said:
I know this breeder and most of her dogs. I'd regard her as one of the better small breeders around--even if she doesn't know that only Kennel Clubs are members of the AKC and not individuals. I think what she was trying to say that that as an individual she is in good standing with the AKC and there are definitely individuals who are not for a variety of reasons.

Most of her dogs are owner handled to their championships and she does train in performance as well.

Nice honest lady I think--health tests and does the best she can to make sure that she's breeding a suitable dog to the particular bitch. I'd recommend her any time.

Dobebug
Hey, there's Bug! Glad to see you here!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts