Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I live in Las Vegas and have been looking to get a Doberman for some time. I work full time and am a reserve member in the Marine Corps. I had everything good to go and set up through a breeder at one point, but there was word of a deployment so I pulled the plug on the puppy. Well the deployment got cancelled for sure so I am looking again.

Anyways I am looking for a young male Doberman, black/ rust that is cropped and docked. I would prefer a puppy but am willing to adopt a young guy under 2 years old. Does anyone know someone in Vegas who may have just had puppies?

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Are you sure that this is a good time to get a dog (any dog) if you might be called up? What will happen to a dog if you do have one and get called up? If you do not have a plan for that, then you should put off getting one till you know that you will be home for good.

Right now one of the leading causes of dogs being dumped in shelters is military owners who have to move for either active duty or other related moves.

As much as I respect the heck out of people in the military, they are not a good bet for a forever home until their time in the service is over. You will find that many responsible breeders feel the same way as me. JMHO... and things to think about.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My girlfriend and I live in our own house an have a dog already, its just more of her dog than mine. If I ever did get called up she would still be there to take care of him while im away. I can see your questions as being legitimate and I have thought about them as well and I have addressed them already. I do believe the dog would be well taken care of.

Since the whole deployment thing is for sure off there would not be anything any time soon. That was the reason I had my name taken off the list to begin with, I didnt want to put the dog through that if I were gone as soon as I got it lol...

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

A few "facts of life" regarding Doberman ownership:
Many rental housing units do not permit Dobes, as their insurance company has them black-listed as a "dangerous breed".

Many homeowners insurance companies will cancel a homeowners policy if they have a dog labeled a "dangerous breed". FYI, State Farm has no breed restrictions.

Ethical breeders will be very concerned about selling a pup to someone who may be deployed because it's common for the military person to find out they cannot take the dog with them.

Reputable animal shelters and rescue groups hesitate to place a dog with someone who has an obligation to the military due to the same concern.

Ethical breeders don't breed their dogs frequently. And when they breed their dogs, there is usually a waiting list, (the pups are, essentially, "pre-sold"). So, it's difficult to get a pup from an ethical breeder on short notice.

If you live alone and work full-time, ethical breeders and reputable shelters/rescue will be concerned about all the mischief an unattended pup can get into while you are out. An adult dog may be a better match for your lifestyle.
EDIT: n/m; just saw you share your home with your girlfriend.

Breeders may have a non-pup available for a variety of reasons. It may have been kept back by the breeder to see how it matured. The dog did not mature as the breeder hoped, and now the breeder wants to place the dog into a pet home. Or, the dog was returned to the breeder because the owner could no longer keep it (health crisis, loss of income, death).

Rescue: few rescued Dobes are cropped, and if they are, it's often a botched job. That said, there are two black cropped and docked males at the Amarillo (Texas) animal control facility who, if they are not claimed by the owners or adopted by Februray 13, will be euthanized. Dobe rescue groups are full and no one has room for them. Both boys are said to be about 2-3 years old. I don't know their details but would be happy to put you in touch with someone who can tell you more. Also, transport can be arranged. PM me.:wavey:

ETA: is your resident dog male or female?
ETA2: two Dobe rescue groups in your area: Las Vegas Doberman and Dachshund Rescue and Doberman Rescue of Nevada

1 - 5 of 5 Posts