Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have just joined this forum, I have a beautiful boy called Tyler he is 13 1/2 years old, and apart from being a bit unsteady on his feet at time he is/was in fantastic health. I went away to Scotland and left Tyler and the puppy with hubby, hubby decided to take them for a walk, it was a warm day and he took him far too far and my poor lad collapsed and couldn't get up, started coughing and whezzing. He got him back to the car, called me and explained Tyler had collapsed (Didn't at that point explain he had walked him too far!!) I phoned my vets and said hubby was on route, he arrived and they put him on oxyen and gave him a cold bath. He came through and was pumped full of drugs to help with his breathing, I left Scotland and arrived home following morning, Tyler seemed good! Took Tyler back to vets and they where pleased with his progress, said obviously he is an older dog and needs to be treated that way! Hubby in serious dog house with me, and feeling very guilty about the whole thing! Any way vets gave us some small white pills to help with his breathing, Gave Tyler the tablet the following morning by time I got home in the eve he was not himself at all. Totally spaced out like he was on drugs or something! Just standing there staring and looking very unsteady on his legs, he was restless all evening, I called vet to ask about side effects of the tablets, but he said he has never heard of that kind of side efeect from them. This morning I drove to my horses yard with him, which is his excersise time, well he has a wonder around the yard and piches the horses feed, but he wouldn't get out of the car! So unlike him!! I have not given him the pills today to see if it makes a difference, please if anyone has experienced anything similar or has any ideas of what I can do for him please say, he is my world, I know he is not a young dog but within less than a week he is a shadow of his former self.

Here are some pics of my beautiful boy!!

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
Perhaps you could give us the name of the pills he is on, there are alot of small white pills out there lol.
Beautiful doberboy you have there, I love the oldies:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So sorry I meant to bring them with me so I had the name, begins with a 'p' lol not much help!! Think its a kind of anti - inflamtion pill for his air way, will check name and tell you tomorrow!

Thank you, I think he is gorgeous too!!:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the vet give any indication as to what he thinks is wrong with your boy?
He has a sensitive Larynx and a conditin that tightens the tubes for his lungs when he pannicks or overheats, Usless with names but that is the basis of the issue, he said we could operate but advises against due to his age!

Have you ever holtered, ultrasound, or given an echo to tyler at all? He may be having cardiac problems. If not, I would get those done ASAP. Hope he feels better!
No never had any of the above, would he need to be sedated for that? His breathing seems fine now, just his spirit seems to have gone, as I say just not with it, if that makes sense?

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
He has a sensitive Larynx and a conditin that tightens the tubes for his lungs when he pannicks or overheats, Usless with names but that is the basis of the issue, he said we could operate but advises against due to his age!

No never had any of the above, would he need to be sedated for that? His breathing seems fine now, just his spirit seems to have gone, as I say just not with it, if that makes sense?
my dog is the exact same age as yours==I have seen this--it comes and goes--once I was ready to think of him being PTS farily soon ...then he suddenly got much better--howerver mine is arthritic and an old injury hurts him more as an older dog so I do not walk him at all---there is a store three houses down from me and he only goes to the store and back--occasionally goes one small block...that's it,,,,if I want him to have some variety I let him go out the front on his own timing to look and sniff around...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my dog is the exact same age as yours==I have seen this--it comes and goes--once I was ready to think of him being PTS farily soon ...then he suddenly got much better--howerver mine is arthritic and an old injury hurts him more as an older dog so I do not walk him at all---there is a store three houses down from me and he only goes to the store and back--occasionally goes one small block...that's it,,,,if I want him to have some variety I let him go out the front on his own timing to look and sniff around...
Ruthie sorry to hear you are in the same position :( I have just been reading about surgery, so many positive stories about older dogs having the op, I always swore I would not put Tyler through any kind of op at his age, but the more I read the more I think it may work! Just don't know what to do for the best - for him that is - not me!! x

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
well...just talk to the vet...one who has done it alot
good luck

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
A holter is a 24 hour ekg. They wear a portable moniter, and can do all their usual activities (no swimming, though). They don't need sedation for that. I'm not sure about the ultrasound. In case you don't know, Dobes are very prone to a condition called Dilated Cardiomyopathy. It can cause either irregular heartbeat, and/or congestive heart failure.

Reactions: Q734 and Maschka1

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
I have just been reading about surgery, so many positive stories about older dogs having the op, I always swore I would not put Tyler through any kind of op at his age, but the more I read the more I think it may work! Just don't know what to do for the best - for him that is - not me!! x
Read up all you can, gather as much info together as possible & talk to your vet about it. Then you can come to an informed decision about what's best for Tyler. Good luck & keep us posted.

I see you're in Essex. Me too. What a small old world we live in. What part of this "delightful" county do you come from?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A holter is a 24 hour ekg. They wear a portable moniter, and can do all their usual activities (no swimming, though). They don't need sedation for that. I'm not sure about the ultrasound. In case you don't know, Dobes are very prone to a condition called Dilated Cardiomyopathy. It can cause either irregular heartbeat, and/or congestive
heart failure.
Right!! He did have some test's for his heart, not sure what! I took him in as I feared Congestive Heart Failure, due to the coughing, they gave him all clear for that but said it is this Laryngeal Paralysis, which seems to add up.

well...just talk to the vet...one who has done it alot
good luck
Think I will try and look into that!

Read up all you can, gather as much info together as possible & talk to your vet about it. Then you can come to an informed decision about what's best for Tyler. Good luck & keep us posted.

I see you're in Essex. Me too. What a small old world we live in. What part of this "delightful" county do you come from?
Thanks JobeyV! I will have another chat with my vet and explain my findings and see what he says!!
Yes I'm an Essex Girl!! Born In Barking but now live in the sticks a little village called Great Bardfield, Nearest Town would be Braintree or Chelmsford! Where are you?

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
This small old world gets even smaller. I can't believe you live in Gt Bardfield, we live on the outskirts of Braintree.
Barking or Gt Bardfield? Hmmm I know which one I'd rather live in:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This small old world gets even smaller. I can't believe you live in Gt Bardfield, we live on the outskirts of Braintree.
Barking or Gt Bardfield? Hmmm I know which one I'd rather live in:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Oh my god!!! Where are you?? Yes Def Bardfield, I was very young when we lived in Barking, I brought my house in Bardfield about 12 years ago!! How funny!!!

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
Oh my god!!! Where are you?? Yes Def Bardfield, I was very young when we lived in Barking, I brought my house in Bardfield about 12 years ago!! How funny!!!
We're actually in Braintree but live on the edge of the town. Essex born & bred too, I've been stuck here all my life, lol. It's nice to find a local who has joined the forum, welcome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We're actually in Braintree but live on the edge of the town. Essex born & bred too, I've been stuck here all my life, lol. It's nice to find a local who has joined the forum, welcome.
Thank you!!! How funny though!! Glad we are cyber chums!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
The pill sounds like prednisone. It's a steroid. I gave it to my Weim, and my sister gives it to her GSD sometimes to help with inflamation and allergies. I'm only aware of long term use side effects, nothing that would act like that. Maybe he's just still exhausted. Has anything else changed for him?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The pill sounds like prednisone. It's a steroid. I gave it to my Weim, and my sister gives it to her GSD sometimes to help with inflamation and allergies. I'm only aware of long term use side effects, nothing that would act like that. Maybe he's just still exhausted. Has anything else changed for him?

Yes I think that is what its called! Nothing else has changed, he started taking a different tablet a few months back and this tablet contained a small amount of prednisone and he went slighlty gidy on that but nothing like now! Actually the only other thing is the vet said to give him a paracetomol a day to help with his Joint paint relief! But that is all that has changed!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts