Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a male puppy this summer and I live in Colorado. I am wondering if there are any Doberman fanciers living in my area that would like to chat and maybe meet up after my puppy arrives. I would like to find people in the area that are interested in conformation, working and agility. My hopes for this puppy is a future in Mondioring or Schutzhund so if anyone here is involved with a club and training I would really be interested in hearing from you. I live fairly close to Castle Rock and there is a Mondio Club in the area. I would also like to find folks that would like to get a small group together for socializing since I do not believe in dog parks but I certainly recognize the importance of a well socialized puppy.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I live in southern Littleton, and have an 11 week old female. I would be willing to meet up for puppy socialization, I too am not a fan of dog parks :) Castle Rock is only 20 minutes from us. Drop me a PM and we could exchange ideas or whatever you'd like. Always up for meeting another Doberman lover!

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I live in Colorado Springs and have a 17 month old male. (he is a rescue so I am guessing on his true age) We are trying our hand/paw at agility. Just in the beginning stages now. Let me know when your pup arrives.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am getting a male puppy this summer and I live in Colorado. I am wondering if there are any Doberman fanciers living in my area that would like to chat and maybe meet up after my puppy arrives. I would like to find people in the area that are interested in conformation, working and agility. My hopes for this puppy is a future in Mondioring or Schutzhund so if anyone here is involved with a club and training I would really be interested in hearing from you. I live fairly close to Castle Rock and there is a Mondio Club in the area. I would also like to find folks that would like to get a small group together for socializing since I do not believe in dog parks but I certainly recognize the importance of a well socialized puppy.
Melbrod is located in Colorado. She can give you further details. She has the sibling to our Tilly.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,322 Posts
Hi! I'm down in Colorado Springs with my two dobes, ages 6 and 3. Welcome to DT!

I'm not particularly active in the competition arena, though I do know and can recommend a trainer down here, unfortunately probably 45 minutes or an hour away from Castle Rock, though. Denver might have more choices for you.

I do know that it is very important what your pup's breeding and personality is if you plan to be active in sports like Mondio or Schutzhund. Where will your puppy come from?

There are a number of people here on the forum who can recommend breeders depending on the kind of activities you plan to pursue. It might be a good idea if you started a thread on this topic and asked around for ideas.

I would also recommend, if you haven't already, that you drop into the Mondio club in your area a few times and observe--their training, methods, personality of the group, ability and experience of the trainer--to see if you would be happy working with them.

There are a few other DT members here in Colorado, but we're spread out up and down the front range a bit, making it harder to get together. I do think it would be fun though.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
@Melbrod, I believe OP's pup is coming from Aldercrest, so he should be perfect for working sports.

OP, I'm in Colorado, but sadly my Doberboy passed away last April so I've been fostering for Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences with Aldercrest and Mondio club in CO, as I would like to get into working sports with my next Doberman. Welcome to DT!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I am in Castle Rock, but we haven't entered our dogs into any sort of trainings/conformation. I was working with a club near the N side of Denver, but they were a little wonky and we stopped going. I would be curious to know of any local area clubs that we could check out...

We are in the East side of Castle Rock, near Plum Creek.....

Welcome to DT!

·
Registered
939 Posts
So many of us! We really should plan a get-together. I'd be willing to make a trip down to the springs for a DT meet up since it seems I'm the odd-man out :) What do you guys think? My schedule is totally open- date/place is totally up to everyone else, lol

·
Super Moderator
26,322 Posts
It might be nice to meet somewhere in the middle--there are a couple of parks that I know of between Monument and the Springs--Black Forest Regional Park and Fox Run Park. There is also Castlewood Canyon Park up near Castle Rock (I think that is the right name). They all have acreage and some trails--all dogs on leash, of course.

I think there may be a dog park/trail system north of Monument on the east side of the Interstate--at least I see dogs and people when I drive past--searching the Web, I see Greenland Open Space, Devon's Dog Park somewhere near Greenland exit 167? Don't know if that is the same one I've seen and I know nothing about it.

I'm sure there are lots of city parks around too; I'm just not familiar with them. Any other suggestions??

I'm free almost anytime, with a bit of notice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all so much for your replies. I have not had the opportunity to drop in on Rocky Mountain Mondioring yet but I certainly plan to do so prior to exposing my puppy to training. There are a few Schutzhund Clubs here as well and I have spoken to a member of Front Range Schutzhund a few times.

This will be my first Doberman so I am really hoping to meet up with and chat with people in the area. I researched breeders for awhile and I was hoping to find someone in the area but I really like what I have seen from Adlercrest. The other litter I was really interested would mean the puppy would have been ready in the middle of Winter and I personally think it is a difficult time of year to bring home a puppy. At least for me since I am not a fan of snow and cold weather;)

I will know around the 18th of this month if Rubino is in whelp. So I am keeping fingers crossed for healthy, happy puppies and hopefully there will be a few males to consider.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Monument would be fantastic, less of a haul. Any of the parks would be nice, we're trail fans.. as long as everything in on-leash :) Perhaps sometime end of this month? It would give DianeV66 a good chance to meet some dobes too!

We brought home our girl during the winter... those late night potty runs during snow storms were less than pleasant. SO glad its warming up! We've had such lovely weather lately

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I would love to meet some other DT'ers. Monument would work, just need some notice to arrange it. As you most likely know.....work gets in the way! For me, Sunday's and Monday's are mostly free.

·
Registered
939 Posts
How does a Sunday afternoon in Monument work for everyone?? maybe the 25th? Mike, I have no problem with you coming :) the more the merrier, I say!

·
Super Moderator
26,322 Posts
I think Fox Run Regional Park is a nice place--real grass fields (not just mowed stubble--at least the last time I went), trails through pine woods, two little lakes to wade in, free. There are no off leash dog places, though, and it could be crowded on a weekend (especially a nice spring weekend). We would probably need to pick a place to meet because the road is a bit curvy and there are several parking areas not visible from other lots.

It is a few miles south of Monument and not too hard to get to from the Interstate. I think about 50 minutes to an hour from Denver.

There are a couple of small parks actually in Monument; I don't think there is much to do at them. There is a trail system west of the town on Mt. Herman road--they are nice, a lot of wooded areas, FLAT (at least not mountainous!). Not too bad a drive from the Monument Interstate exit. Again, I would guess about an hour drive.

Castlewood Canyon is another nice place to go--fairly close to Castle Rock. It is NOT free--I think a day pass is about $7.

Do you folks have somewhere particular in mind? Any particular activities?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm an avid outdoors person.. I'm all for a hike! :) Maybe an easy flat trail?

Found this: Castlewood Canyon State Park

Castlewood Canyon State Park. The pictures look really nice! From Denver or Colorado Springs its just under an hour. Seems to be smack dab in the middle! It has great reviews, mostly easy trails ranging from 1 to 4 miles and totaling 12 miles. I think its a little more 'less known' since its not right off a main highway.. less traffic! As always, state parks welcome leashed dogs :)

Melbrod, I guess I was still typing while you posted! I totally forgot that they charge to get into parks, though. I'm all for it though- What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
26,322 Posts
Castlewood certainly is the most central place, I think; I guess we'd pay for that convenience.

I do agree about the flat :) All the places I suggested are flat!! Castlewood Canyon probably has the roughest trails--simply because the main trail heads down into the canyon and up again. I think it is the most scenic though.

Any other folks have some input?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm up for Sunday the 25th. Any of the places listed would be great. Flat is a good thing considering we are coming out of the winter sedentary months! I guess we could list the places and take a vote. Maybe pack lunch.
As for State Parks, I know that Cheyenne Mountain Park does NOT allow dogs on the trails. Only in the campgrounds.
Keep me posted.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts