Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking to get my first Doberman and I was wondering if there were any differences between sexes or colors?

Are males or females more affectionate, protective, clingy, goofy, etc...?

Hs anyone noticed a personality difference between colors? i.e. are reds more hyper/calm/clingy/crazy/etc... then black and tans?

These may sound like silly questions but I only ask because I've noticed these differences in other breeds (Labs, Poodles, Yorkies) and I'm curious to see if anyone has noticed anything similar with Dobermans.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
I have a goofy, smart, hyper, cuddly, hard working, smart black dobergirl. :) I bet someone has the same description for their red doberboy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links! I understand your view on colors but some say the same regarding sexes. Personally, with other breeds, I have noticed a difference and I know owners of other breeds also have their preferences based on traits that appear to go along with color.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
There are differences in color/gender for some breeds (that I've seen too) but that's not really the case in the dobermans.

Definitely check out the links provided.

I have heard, gender-wise, that boys are more goofy and girls tend to mature a little quicker.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of the other.

The boys I've known have all been fairly goofy and big lug heads, but very sweet and loving. Generalizing here, but the boys seem a bit softer. Like they get their feelings hurt more easily. The girls I've known have all been silly/playful and very sweet and loving in that wonderful Doberman way, but they have a serious bitch side. LOL The girls mature kinda like teenage human girls...they think they're hot sh*t and they make it known! :) But I mostly think it just depends on the dog. I have a girl that looks like you've broke her heart when she gets in trouble (biggest sweetheart and love bug in the world and soooo silly), and my other girl looks at you like you've lost your mind when she's in trouble (she's just never done anything wrong from her perspective and she's a wild woman).

I've not seen any temperament differences in Dobes based on color. Well bred Dobes should all be bred striving toward the ideal temperament laid out in the standard.

You might be able to make an argument for personality differences between colors - some say the red males are goofier/dumber than black males, and the red bitches are supposedly waaaaaay bitchier than the black bitches - but I think there's more of a case for personality based on inherited traits by parentage and learned behavior based on environmental experiences rather than it being attributed to coat color via gene linkage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts