Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Max is going for his surgery tommorrow. His right leg is getting fixed. They will be cutting the leg in to pieces & added platelets(sp) to it to straighten & lengthen it. He will be down for about 10 weeks. The vet says we need to keep him from jumping up onto beds & couchs, etc. Not so much for the going up, but when he comes down. The hard floor could un do all they are doing.

Any advise for this or how to handle him while he has his lamp shade & cast on?

Thanks guys

·
Banned
675 Posts
The online dog suppy places sell various kinds of ramps and steps that you can put by the bed so he can get up and down without jumping.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
SamHayne said:
So Max is going for his surgery tommorrow. His right leg is getting fixed. They will be cutting the leg in to pieces & added platelets(sp) to it to straighten & lengthen it. He will be down for about 10 weeks. The vet says we need to keep him from jumping up onto beds & couchs, etc. Not so much for the going up, but when he comes down. The hard floor could un do all they are doing.

Any advise for this or how to handle him while he has his lamp shade & cast on?

Thanks guys

Awww, best wishes to you and Max to get through all this.... Poor guy, you just can't explain to them to take it easy. But a little humor... If you position Max just right you should start picking up some movie channels while he's wearing his "satalite" dish!!!! :boldblue:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ha ha!!! You mean I can quit paying DirecTV for the next month or 2?

Actually not poor guy in my eyes. That has been the lst 4 years or however long he has had this bum wheel. I'm hoping the end result of this is 4 good strong legs. I just worry though...he has some power with just 3 good legs & sometimes it's hard to make him do things he doesn't want to do. Giving him that 4th good one may make it impossible!!! :3dbiggrin

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can you set up a room with nothing he can jump on? Just a mattress on the floor or something he can lay on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the vet suggested we put boxes on the couch. He said Max will see them & not try to get on the couch. Other wise we may put the gate up when we aren't home so has has to stick to the kitchen.

& to let everyone know, surgery went perfect. We will be picking Max up tomorrow morning. Then we have to keep him pretty inactive for 10 weeks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad I can talk to people about these things somewhere :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I got a couple pictures of the post op Max up.

Man, the next 10 weeks is going to be a challenge. The anesthesia finally wore off & Max isn't quite understanding the concept of lay down & don't move all day.

They did splint the leg & we have to go every 5 days to have the dressing changed & the doctor will check him out to make sure the surgery isn't being undone & that the stiches are healing fine. That is for the 1st 2 weeks. Then the splint will stay on without all the changing for 2 more weeks. Then the splint comes off & therapy starts. Then after the 8th week, they x-ray it to see how the healing is & if all is well, Max gets to run free again with no bum wheel!!!

:cool2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts