Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lady's health has done a backslide on me, I thought she was getting better, but I was wrong. I've not only been batteling the eye infections, but also her skin problems. Her skin hasn't been to bad untill these past few days, she's chewing so bad that she's opening sores, and now the skin problems are growing. She had a small "raw" spot on the top of her rump, now it's traveling up her back. I'm beginning to think that the vet didn't do so well on his skin scraping and diagnosis of it not being mange. I'm taking her to another vet that I really have had good experences with. We didn't take her there at first because he has a "grudge" against our rescue organization....but lol he doesn't know I'm also a member so he treats me like a real client. I'm going to get a second and hopefully better opinion on her eye and another skin scrape. If she comes back neg. for mange then we'll do an allergy panel. I think whatever is wrong with her skin is also affecting the eyes, because as soon as her skin got worse the infection started to come back. Can dogs be allergic to cats? The kitten has been here for a while, almost as long as Lady has, but I'm just wondering.

If you look at her right eye...that's the bad one, you can see how the skin is raw and crusty looking.

Here are all three of my monsters, their resting after a long morning of destroying toys and making my living room look like a pillow exploded lol.

· Registered
6,590 Posts
Poor girl, but on the other hand, in the last pic, she looks like a happy michevious dobe with the typical "I didn't do it" look on her face :)

Keep us updated on your vet visit, when does she go in?

· Still Here Despite Rumour
4,378 Posts
All i can say again is thank heavens you have got her and i hope and wish you all the luck in the world and you get your healthy dobe that you want,I didn't say healthy and happy because i can clearly see that she is happy in the other pics.

· Banned
675 Posts
Demodectic mange doesn't always show up in skin scrapings even when it's there, so if you get a positive scraping, you know demodex is the problem. But if you get a negative scraping, it might still be the problem, and if nothing else works, it's wise to do what you're doing and try another scraping.

Also, it could be a food allergy, what are you feeding her?

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been feeding her Authority Harvest Baked chicken formula, then I decided to switch to the Lamb formula. My MIL was feeding her mostly pedigree puppy chow. I just hope to get her better soon. Her appointment is for next Tues. And I will definatly update! Thanks guys!!!

· Registered
4,856 Posts
if its her back end she is chewing, i would treat her for fleas, even if you cannot see them - that is the typical place for a flea allergy to develop.

· Registered
3,571 Posts
Good luck with the vet visit. I hope you find something out. Let us know how it turned out.

· Registered
10 Posts
Poor dog!
Has she been tested for any autoimmune diseases such as lupus or pemphigus? Is the hair loss mainly on her rump near her tail region? If so I would highly suspect a flea allergy. (this too can affect the skin around her eyes)
Demodectic Mange is a possibility but *unlikely* if she is over 2 years old. Sarcoptic (scabies) mange drives dogs nuts. They itch and scratch like crazy. As someone pointed out mange mites may not always show up in the 1st skin scrapping.
I hope your vet finds the cause and a cure quickly and Good luck!
(Ps. Dogs can be allergic to anything, just like we can!)

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She wasn't tested for anything, just the mange. Is there anything I should push to have tested for this time around? Oh she was of course tested for HW and that was negative. She's been on frontline since we got her so wouldn't that rule out flea dermatitis? I've stopped the ivermectin treatments on her since they haven't seemed to be working, right now I'm just useing a medicated shampoo every week along with an anti itch lotion. I just hope the vet can get this all figured out and get her on the right track to recovery, my poor Lady bug. Seeing her like this makes me hate whoever did it to her even more.

· Registered
10 Posts
How long have you had her and when did you start the Frontline? Was she this bad before you started the flea treatment?
Now what could be happening is an overraction to the Frontline , the ivermectin and the medicated shampoo. (ivermectin should kill the mange mites but it is not a quick process) Her problem could be caused by so many things, unfortunately it is a process of elimination. You may want to ask your vet about autoimmune diseases that could be causing this, especially if there are blisters anywhere on her body.
Let us know what you find out, and again good luck to the both of you.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had her for 5 1/2 weeks, she was given only 1/2 a normal dose of the frontline because of the ivermectin treatments. She got 1/10 of a cc of ivermectin once every 5 days for 3 weeks, then I dropped her down to 1/10 of a cc every week or so, but was still applying it topically to her skin every 3 days. I just started the medicated shampoo last week and stopped the ivermectin at the same time. The skin problems started to get worse over the course of two weeks, and I can't seem to think of anything I've changed during that time that might have triggered this. The anti itch lotion seems to keep her from chewing so much so I'm going to keep up with that and discontinue everything else untill her vet visit. I just can't wait to get her better lol, poor girl, momma's the only one who can stand her doggie odor lol...I'd kiss on her even if she smelled like poo. :p

· Registered
10 Posts
ack..I just posted a reply and it said I wasn't logged in...oops.

Does she have a unsually offensive odor? If she does and from what you've said I would highly suspect mange. The ivermec should have killed the mites but the dosage may not have been strong enough or given to her long enough. Just because the mites were not seen under the microscope does not mean they are not there, especially sarcoptic mites.
Its good to hear the creme is giving her some relief. I would'nt want a bunch of creepy crawlies on me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.