Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you have your dobes sleeping in the same room as you.

I would love to have Duke in here but I just dont have the space for a crate and my room is far away from the outside so if he has to go to the bathroom im afraid he wont make it.

Are there any mental/emotional benefits to your dobe if they sleep in the same room as you etc..

I think if I rearrange my room I can make room. He sleeps in his crate in the family room.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
When we crated our girl, we had her crate in the family room. We did not want our girl in the bedroom. I know, Bad Dad...... We choose the Family room because this is the most used room and she had alot of people around if she was crated before bed time. She had no issues with that arrangement, she accepted it and if she needed to go out she would let us know by barkining.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
When my guys were younger we started crating in the family room also. Since this was the most used and closest to people. When they got older, they got their own room close to mine. If they want some peace, they frequently go in there to lay down and relax. That is where all their toys are stored in their toy basket. If they want to go out, they would bark. They have ample beds scattered throughout the house including in the bedroom. But anymore, I have it gated off. That has turned into the cats safe haven. Plus it is hard to sleep with 3 big dogs hogging the bed. I found myself on the sofa.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Ha ha Dreamdoby that's funny you found yourself on the sofa!!! I can just see it, you being pushed out of bed because of the dogs, walking out to the sofa with your pillow in hand!!!!
I have a crate in the kitchen and one in the bedroom, she will be in the crate in the bedroom. My Shiz tzu Bandit sleeps on the floor next to me and the cat is up on the bed. I have no problem with the animals sleeping in the bedroom with me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Even though they have their own room with their own doggy beds all of our Dobies sleep with us and 2 of them in the bed with us. The third one would get on there too if there was room for her. Sometimes she will go into the living room and sleep on the sofa and other times she will end up in her room on one of the beds. We were never successful in getting them crated but no matter we like having them with us at night except when they end up pushing hubby to the last 2 inches of bed. We have a doggy door so they come and go as they please. One advantage, for me, of having them sleep in bed when their were puppies was I could take them outside immediately when they needed to go potty. This worked great for me since I don't like using wee wee pads or newspapers.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Tucker sleeps in our room. He's usually curled up on the bed with me till daddy comes to bed, then he hit his own bed on the floor.
Till daddy goes to work, then he's right up on the bed again, snuggled with me and his head on the pillow.
We tried crating him when he first got here and it was a no win situation LOL There was no way I was going to be able to stuff 107 pounds of struggling red moose into that crate! He's good though, doesn't chew or destroy things and thinks our bed is his most of the time

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess sleeps curled up under the covers right next to me...usually i lay on my side so she can be right against my stomach and I can have my arm around her and hug her. It is hard to get any sleep once she comes in my room cause she is so darn cute :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Hmmmm, this sounds familiar--like I answered already....puppies sleep in the bedroom in a crate until they are entirely reliable with respect to housetraining--at which point they get to sleep on one of the several dog beds in the bedroom.

Even though the bedroom I use is the furthest from the door out to the dog yard I solved that problem by keeping a leash in top of the crate--the puppy comes out of the crate, I snap the leash on and we go immediately outside. Putting the pup on the leash enables me and the puppy to go directly outside without detours that might end up in accidents.

My dogs are not allowed on beds or furniture. The cats sleep where they please--usually on my feet....

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
same room??? you're funny, alienex. Try same bed! for both. sometimes one of the dogs will sleep with my oldest daughter

cc

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
In the same room. They sleep in the bedroom at night either on very nice dog beds (stacked up dog beds with very soft blankets on the top) or up in the bed. I don't bother putting dog beds around the house, they nap on the couches.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Mine sleep on the bed with me :D But that is only after the house training is done. My master bedroom has a sitting room off of it, that is the dogs room, so even when we were house training, Rommel was never far from us. He could see us from his crate.

I will admit though, the first few nights of him screaming and barking, and throwing an ever-loving fit for being put in his crate....sucked. For about a week, every night, I would wind up picking up his crate (with him still in it) and taking him to the guest room. No one would have gotten any sleep if I hadnt. I didnt want to let him out, and reward for bad behavior, it eventually worked.......but wow that first week tested my patience big time.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
all my dogs have slept in my room, since i was a little kid. when they were young (ie rah at 10 months when i first got him) i crated him in my room. ive had to block some of them into my room (willow, since she wandered at night to poop and pee in the house if left to her own devices), but most just hung out in my room on my bed. rah now sleeps in bed with me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You guys are lucky! I wish Rex would sleep with me. If I put him in my bed he will lay down but after a minute or two sit by the door and cry until I put him in his cage to sleep. I guess thats what he prefers.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chi has a kennel in our room. If we end up crashing on the couch watching TV, she sleeps in her bean bag chair in the living room with us. Every now and then we let her sleep in the bed with us and have never had a problem with her roaming the house at night (she appreciates the bed too much!) When Mark is gone, I pretty much always let her have his side of the bed :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Last night was Mensa's first night sleeping outside the crate. She did better than I expected. She had free reign of the entire house (both rooms, I have a SMALL house) and spent most of the night on her bed in the living room. She slept maybe an hour with me, then moved out to the other room. Maybe it was because I sleep on the floor and she has a real dog bed that's softer. NO ACCIDENTS!! She hasn't had an accident in at least three months so I figured she was ready.

My Little Puppy is growing up!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java has come up to our room during the day and slept nestled beside me (on an old blanket) on the bed while I work on my laptop, but this is a special treat and not done every day. Once she is older, I may get her a bed for the bedroom floor, but so far she knows the bedtime/crate routine cold. So far so good...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Chaz said:
NO ACCIDENTS!! She hasn't had an accident in at least three months so I figured she was ready.

My Little Puppy is growing up!

does that mean it is time for me to come and pick up little Mensa???:3dbiggrin

cc

·
Registered
21 Posts
I finally got Rex to sleep in my bed last night, I think I'll let him sleep in his bed like he wants to. I dont like getting kicked off my ow bed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts