Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just got cleo 3 days ago.
She is 12 weeks old. Every time I come to take cleo out of the crate to go outside, she pees before I can even get her out. I am not sure why she is doing this. She holds it the whole time until I get there to take her out. My husvand says she doesn't do it when he takes her out.

Any ideas about why she is doing this and how to stop it?

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Maybe she is excited or nervous. Try not letting her wake up herself so she doesn't have time to realise she needs to go potty. If you wake her then take her straight out she might get out of the habit. She is just a baby she'll soon get out of it

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
How are you greeting her? If you are greeting her with babytalk in a higher pitched tone, that can cause excited or/and submissive urination. Try not speaking to her. Just go wake her up and take her outside without a greeting and only telling her to "come" in a normal tone after she has come out of the crate and you are walking toward the door. I wouldnt even make eye contact with her. Try that and see if she doesnt improve. If she pees in the crate, still treat her as above. Dont say anything to her or call attention to her piddling as that only makes it worse. The behavior can be an appeasement reaction, hoping to prevent harm to herself or submissive. Both are calming signals to show they mean no harm and as a deference to authority.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are you greeting her? If you are greeting her with babytalk in a higher pitched tone, that can cause excited or/and submissive urination. Try not speaking to her. Just go wake her up and take her outside without a greeting and only telling her to "come" in a normal tone after she has come out of the crate and you are walking toward the door. I wouldnt even make eye contact with her. Try that and see if she doesnt improve. If she pees in the crate, still treat her as above. Dont say anything to her or call attention to her piddling as that only makes it worse. The behavior can be an appeasement reaction, hoping to prevent harm to herself or submissive. Both are calming signals to show they mean no harm and as a deference to authority.
I think we have it worked out at night. I put her to bed at 1130pm and she cries to go out at 3 am. She doesn't have any accidents at night. My husband works evening shift and I work days. She seems to be urinating now when I come in the door. She was doing it when I came to her crate. I do like the idea of just telling her to come though and walking out. I don't really talk to her when I first come. I just open the crate. I hope it will get better soon. I think she may just have problems holding it and gets too excited.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
When you take her out of the crate, pick her up immediately, so she doesn't pee and let her down out side.
- try this for a week or 2
(my last pup had an excited weak blatter, at 8 weeks old / a few weeks of her over my sons shoulder, solved the accidental pee)
Cleo is probably just excited (to see you) and may need outside more frequent.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yeah, I was going to ask you how long she is having to stay in the crate before you get home. Four hours is about the max you can expect a pup this age to hold her pee during the day. Have you gotten on to her for peeing in the crate? That will definately make her pee even sooner than before and it only takes one time to heighten her anxiety. First it was you going to the crate, now it is hearing you at the door. I am thinking she is either anxious or desperate to pee. Hope you can help her to get past it soon. Glad to hear you have some of it worked out.:) Out of curiosity, who wanted to get this puppy anyway? One more thing, when you are coming home and in the door, think positive thoughts. Try to picture her trotting happily out the door and peeing. Dont let that picture of her piddling in the crate enter your mind. Dogs are very good at reading our minds. They have spent thousands of years reading us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I was going to ask you how long she is having to stay in the crate before you get home. Four hours is about the max you can expect a pup this age to hold her pee during the day. Have you gotten on to her for peeing in the crate? That will definately make her pee even sooner than before and it only takes one time to heighten her anxiety. First it was you going to the crate, now it is hearing you at the door. I am thinking she is either anxious or desperate to pee. Hope you can help her to get past it soon. Glad to hear you have some of it worked out.:) Out of curiosity, who wanted to get this puppy anyway? One more thing, when you are coming home and in the door, think positive thoughts. Try to picture her trotting happily out the door and peeing. Dont let that picture of her piddling in the crate enter your mind. Dogs are very good at reading our minds. They have spent thousands of years reading us.
Hi Linda.
No, I have not gotten on to her. I have just been taking her out and then cleaning it up. I am hoping she will stop doing it as soon as she is able to hold it longer. Sometimes she messes the crate in as little as 2 hours. She is always taken out to use the bathroom and do number 1 and 2 before she is put in there. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It sounds like I need to just keep doing what I am doing.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Did she come familiar with a crate? Just reread your first post. Had forgotten how long you have had her. Whoever had her before could have made her anxious about peeing or left her in the crate too long and trained her that is where to go. Its easy to do. Does she have bedding? Sometimes they use bedding and you have to remove it for a while to break them. Also, is the crate small so she cant pee/poop on one end and sleep at the other end? One more thing. When you take her out to relieve herself, do you stay out with her to make sure she actually does her business and reward her when she does with treat or "your the smartest girl in the world" party? Dobermans are very, very sensitive and will pick up if you are upset with them, especially if they are having problems which displease the owner. You dont have to say anything. Try to remember she is just a tiny baby and knows nothing. You have to show her and tell her how great she is when she gets it right. Reinforce correct behavior!!!:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest I am not sure if she was in a crate before I got her or not. I think she was.

She hasn't had any accidents for 3 days. Woohoo!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts